Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm a fan of Swayman but this one is on him. He hired the obnoxious agent nobody gets along with, and they started with an ask that wasn't based in reality.

I get that in most negotiations you start high, they start low, and you meet somewhere in the middle, but the Bruins have comps to support a short term $6.25m offer, while Swayman's ask of $9.5 has no comps. There's no one he can point to at that price point and say my career is the same as his.

Again, I would expect the Bruins to come up from $6.25 (I was expecting a long-term deal in the $7-8m range) but when the other side starts in la la land, they have to adjust their ask before you can even talk about finding a middle ground (hence the "haven't returned our calls in 3 weeks" line).
Great post. Lewis Gross also represented William Nylander on that awesome contract with Toronto.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm a fan of Swayman but this one is on him. He hired the obnoxious agent nobody gets along with, and they started with an ask that wasn't based in reality.

I get that in most negotiations you start high, they start low, and you meet somewhere in the middle, but the Bruins have comps to support a short term $6.25m offer, while Swayman's ask of $9.5 has no comps. There's no one he can point to at that price point and say my career is the same as his.

Again, I would expect the Bruins to come up from $6.25 (I was expecting a long-term deal in the $7-8m range) but when the other side starts in la la land, they have to adjust their ask before you can even talk about finding a middle ground (hence the "haven't returned our calls in 3 weeks" line).

My feelings exactly, Bill. I am Swayman fan and look forward to the Sway era in net as I think he will be that good, but this contract stalemate is on him and his camp. The Bruins will pay when they believe they ought to (see McAvoy and Pasta), but Swayman is not in that category. I hope it doesn't end with Swayman holding out, or getting traded, but if la la land is the reality for Sway and Gross, then it may come to that. I guess I'll risk the laugh emoji as well.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
You can't point to a goalie getting that kind of deal at this point in their career. Meaning 6-8 years at $9M+ (factoring for cap inflation). So why should the Bruins be the first to do it?

No but there's a long list of players at every other position being handed big money deals as an RFA, why should goalies be any different?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yes you can and its been pointed out many times. Rask's 8yr deal in today's NHL would be an 8yr/$9.5 million deal. He and Swayman have very similar numbers at the same age.
Rask had just put up a .940 in 22 playoff games on the way to the Stanley Cup Final. He signed his $7M contract on July 10, 2013. Walk me through how that is a good comp for Swayman.

No but there's a long list of players at every other position being handed big money deals as an RFA, why should goalies be any different?
Because they are? Like I said, why should the Bruins be first?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Come on. The guy asked for a Rask deal plus inflation. Not only is it a great comp it was with the same team.

4/6.4 two years before UFA status is insulting. A 2mil arbitration number is insulting.

Plus you’re cool with the no call backs in 3 weeks? Sounds like a great tactic.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Rask had just put up a .940 in 22 playoff games on the way to the Stanley Cup Final. He signed his $7M contract on July 10, 2013. Walk me through how that is a good comp for Swayman.

Same career starts number. Same Vezina position. Same age.

Rask gets there with a cup contender and Swayman works a great series with a team you called “transition” year. I wonder how Rask would have done with this group his contract year?

You guys are rich. Also what’s wrong with the Bruins being first? They just so happen to be in this position to be first, why not? Do they even have a Max deal on the table? Doesn’t sound like it

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Swayman is coming off a .933 SV% in 12 games and did everything he could to get this team past Florida. Maybe if the offense doesn't get held to 2 or less goals in 5 of their 6 games, they actually get past Florida. Was Swayman supposed to score goals and stop them?

Why does Rask 22 games in that one playoff run matter more than his 3 years of play leading up to that playoff series?

You want to see a crazy stat...

Goals Save Above Expected
Rask (2013 Playoffs) - 22GP / 16.1 GSAE
Sway (2024 Playoffs) - 12GP / 13.3 GSAE

Swayman in nearly half as many games had nearly the same GSAE as Rask did during is 2013 cup run.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Swayman is coming off a .933 SV% in 12 games and did everything he could to get this team past Florida. Maybe if the offense doesn't get held to 2 or less goals in 5 of their 6 games, they actually get past Florida. Was Swayman supposed to score goals and stop them?

Why does Rask 22 games in that one playoff run matter more than his 3 years of play leading up to that playoff series?
Compare the two rosters as well. The management groupies can’t seem to remember one was two years removed from a championship and one two years removed from a 7 seed and first round ouster

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Swayman in nearly half as many games had nearly the same GSAE as Rask did during is 2013 cup run.
I know the stats. I’m a big fan of Sway and have been on board with an 8x$8M contract all along.

Rask started 34 out of 48 games that season as well. Very clearly the number 1.

Why did Gross leak that they’re looking for the McAvoy contract and not the Rask contract?

Reactions: YukonCornelius

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman gets 8/64 NMC from me

I’d bet on him

Not sure if the 4/25 is legit or not and why Bruins won’t go 8

Swayman can just say F U and play out till FA next 2 years

They are all face to face supposedly by this time tomorrow

At least they aren’t boring

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I know the stats. I’m a big fan of Sway and have been on board with an 8x$8M contract all along.

Rask started 34 out of 48 games that season as well. Very clearly the number 1.

Why did Gross leak that they’re looking for the McAvoy contract and not the Rask contract?

The bolded is just a odd spin to me. Just because he played 70% of the games in a shortened season doesn't change that it was still unknown if he could handle a true #1 workload. He still only played 34 games that year, which isn't close to a #1 workload.

IDK why Gross said McAvoy and not Rask. Reach out and ask him if you're really interested. If I had to guess it because saying McAvoy deal is easier to reference for readers vs saying the Rask deal and then explaining the math as to how it comes out a 8yr/$9.5 million deal.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The Saros deal is kinda the comp but even then Swayman doesn’t have the workload per year or resume

I’d bet on Swayman I think he’s going to be a star but there is unknown and a deal starting at 6 and ending at 10 M seems logical

If I was Swayman I would basically say 8 years or 2

But I’d sign for 60 to 80 lol (basically I’d do the Saros deal)

4 years I’m out on if I’m him

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Sure give him whatever he wants then. Who cares if it's more than the player deserves at this point in his career. Hell with the rest of the roster going forward.
IF they give him 9.5 for 8 at the end of the deal it will look great. The cap will continue to rise, the league is talking about more expansion and Utah should be a better market than Arizona. IF the cap tops 110m in 4 years he is less than a 10% cap hit which is reasonable for an all star goalie. 9.5 right now is high, it won't be in a few years.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

You don’t compare him to Rask as he is retired. You compare him to goalie that are now playing.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Don Sweeney is just plain dumb. Swagman is a top tier, young goalie who is great on and off the ice and wants to play here. Sign the damn kid. Give him his 8X8Mil and call it a day. It's the price of elite goaltending. You are paying for future performance and there is nothing that says Sway will regress...kid has an amazing track record and should only improve. Pick your battles Donnie and this aint one.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
IF they give him 9.5 for 8 at the end of the deal it will look great. The cap will continue to rise, the league is talking about more expansion and Utah should be a better market than Arizona. IF the cap tops 110m in 4 years he is less than a 10% cap hit which is reasonable for an all star goalie. 9.5 right now is high, it won't be in a few years.
I need more proof of him playing a number one role before I dole out that kind of money. I just don't trust him yet, not enough experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad