Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So do you blame swayman for the bruins not playing 22 playoff games?

I would blame just about everyone else besides him for that.
No. But that’s not how things work.

Why have no other goalies since Rask gotten that kind of deal at the same stage? It’s been 11 years. At some point that contract becomes moot no?

Reactions: YukonCornelius

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No. But that’s not how things work.

Why have no other goalies since Rask gotten that kind of deal at the same stage? It’s been 11 years. At some point that contract becomes moot no?

Well there haven’t been very many goalies that are 25 year old all stars who got 1 year arbitration deals and are in a position that Swayman is in.

Not many other goalies have received contracts like this because the sample size is incredibly small to begin with.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Fair, but I said find me a goalie who has similar numbers through the same age. Sorokin is 3yrs older than Swayman.

Demko through age 25
72GP / 2.93 GAA / .911 SV% / 1 SO

Swayman through age 25
132GP / 2.34 GAA / .919 SV% / 12 SO

They don't seem close in numbers at all
Really? .008 difference in Save Percentage? On some lousy Vancouver teams?

Are we just going to overlook the fact that Swayman played on a loaded Bruins team in 2022-2023 that had the single best regular season in NHL history and helped Ullmark win a Vezina?

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well maybe they need to take some of that goaltending money and get some goal scoring.

Or, and this might be a wild idea. The guys whose job it is to generate offense.....actually generate offense. Lets take a look at the FLA series:

Here's the B's top 6 goal scorers last year with their goal totals in the FLA series

Pastrnak - 1 Goal
Marchand - 0 Goals
Coyle - 1 Goal
Zacha - 1 Goal
DeBrusk - 2 Goals
Frederic - 0 Goals

^The group that accounted for ~60% of our goals during the regular season managed just 5 goals against Florida

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Really? .08 difference in Save Percentage? On some lousy Vancouver teams?

Are we just going to overlook the fact that Swayman played on a loaded Bruins team in 2022-2023 that had the single best regular season in NHL history and helped Ullmark win a Vezina?

So SV% is the only thing that matters? Markstrom was finished 4th & 10th in Vezina voting playing behind the same defense

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Really? .08 difference in Save Percentage? On some lousy Vancouver teams?

just decided to completely ignore the .59 difference in GAA huh

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So SV% is the only thing that matters? Markstrom was finished 4th & 10th in Vezina voting playing behind the same defense
We are spinning our wheels here. You asked for a comp and I gave you one. If you wanna split hairs and stick to your guns, knock yourself out....

just decided to completely ignore the .59 difference in GAA huh
Not ignoring it at all. When you play on a bad team, you are going to give up more goals, and more shots.

Reactions: lopey

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If you really want to wildly speculate, I wonder if some of the DS contract argument is being ticked at two consecutive season ending playoff goals leaking through, or maybe even burning a hole at Wotherspoon after that last short side goal.

View attachment 907484
Maybe, but does that mean he's going to play hardball with Marchand? No pts, 1 shot in game 6 this year. No pts, -2 in game 7 last year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'd rather go 4yrs now and re-asses based on how this team is performing, how Swayman is performing, what our cap situation is at that time, and what other goaltending options there are at that time (both internally and in free agency).
Why would he resign here in 4 years if the team doesn't believe in him? Offer him a 4 year deal and you may actually only be having him for 3.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'm a fan of Swayman but this one is on him. He hired the obnoxious agent nobody gets along with, and they started with an ask that wasn't based in reality.

I get that in most negotiations you start high, they start low, and you meet somewhere in the middle, but the Bruins have comps to support a short term $6.25m offer, while Swayman's ask of $9.5 has no comps. There's no one he can point to at that price point and say my career is the same as his.

Again, I would expect the Bruins to come up from $6.25 (I was expecting a long-term deal in the $7-8m range) but when the other side starts in la la land, they have to adjust their ask before you can even talk about finding a middle ground (hence the "haven't returned our calls in 3 weeks" line).

Just curious what comps do we have for swayman if any at all?

-25 years old
-1 year arbitration deal
-all star
-both player and team elect to not go for arbitration

What is the sample size of available comps for that?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
My mask features a Bruin head on either side of it. Think Chicago Bears logo, but gold instead of orange.

We were getting ready to get on the ice last night in exhibition league action, and this little kid told me I looked like Jeremy Swayman.

I told him he’s my cousin.
Captain Naive inquires, you're not really Jeremy's cousin are you?

• Haha
Reactions: smithformeragent

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Well here we are, training camp starts tomorrow. I'm starting to think we've seen the last of Swayman in a Bruins uniform. Hopefully they can get some decent picks out of his rights and take on some salary via trade to build up the team elsewhere.

Bussi & Korpisalo, you're up.
Because swaymans agent is the same agent of the gaudraeus brothers I think a little more time is in order but I'm with you otherwise.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Well here we are, training camp starts tomorrow. I'm starting to think we've seen the last of Swayman in a Bruins uniform. Hopefully they can get some decent picks out of his rights and take on some salary via trade to build up the team elsewhere.

Agreed. Never seen a Bruins RFA negotiation go into training camp. Sad.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Well we have been hearing for 6 weeks the bruins are closer than what people are saying to a deal. Eventually someone has to be correct…. Right?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Or, and this might be a wild idea. The guys whose job it is to generate offense.....actually generate offense. Lets take a look at the FLA series:

Here's the B's top 6 goal scorers last year with their goal totals in the FLA series

Pastrnak - 1 Goal
Marchand - 0 Goals
Coyle - 1 Goal
Zacha - 1 Goal
DeBrusk - 2 Goals
Frederic - 0 Goals

^The group that accounted for ~60% of our goals during the regular season managed just 5 goals against Florida
Bingo. Blaming the goalie is the lazy way out and it happens with every goalie here it seems (maybe not TT).

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
By the way, I love Swayman but the worst thing that could happen to this team is the season becoming a circus with a lengthy contract holdout. If it's heading that way, which it appears to be, they need to cut bait immediately and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad