Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Ullmark had razor thin better stats in 2022 and 2023 and then sunk us vs the Canes and Panthers.

Sway was the other goalie with a 50-50 workload. He could have won a Vezina and a playoff round with better regular season performance and these negotiations would have gone smoother.

How do we know he won’t get outplayed by Bussi or Korpisalo after he gets his huge payday?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
comparing Swayman to Raymond is comparing apples to oranges. One guy is a LW and the other is a Goalie. One guy is 21yrs old coming off an ELC and the other is 25 coming off his 2nd contract
Would you trade Swayman for Raymond? Not that it will happen, but if I was the Bruins , I would not even take a breath, as I signed the trade transaction.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Ullmark had razor thin better stats in 2022 and 2023 and then sunk us vs the Canes and Panthers.

Sway was the other goalie with a 50-50 workload. He could have won a Vezina and a playoff round with better regular season performance and these negotiations would have gone smoother.

How do we know he won’t get outplayed by Bussi or Korpisalo after he gets his huge payday?

You're blaming Jeremy Swayman, who I believe was essentially a rookie for one of those years, for Linus Ullmark's playoff issues?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
One also has 100 more games on the other.
One's 2nd contract was a one year contract.
Both were/are RFA's.
Both are young very very good players but not the most proven.

One took a pretty fair deal compared to other LW's in the market
One is apparently looking to be one of the highest paid at his position with 132 career games played.

It's fairly accurate aside from the position they play & the fact one of them wasn't on a media tour talking about their contract negotiations/business skills.

He ranks 21st among LW's in goals and 19th among LW's in points over the last 3 seasons. His $8.1 million deal makes him the 13th highest paid LW in the NHL. So if Swayman is a top 5 goalie why is it a problem that he wants to be paid like a top 3 goalie?

Would you trade Swayman for Raymond? Not that it will happen, but if I was the Bruins , I would not even take a breath, as I signed the trade transaction.

I wouldn't, no. I also value goaltending more than most.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Isn't that like saying how do we now Pasta won't get outplayed by Lysell

Bussi is older than Sway and has never played a game at the NHL level, and is also an UFA at the end of the year. Swayman despite being 3 years younger was a better college goalie than Bussi was by a good bit, and was better in his very limited time in the AHL. And has proven it through 132 NHL games, as well as a couple standout playoff series when finally given the chance

And Korpisalo, I think we all hope he can become the player he has flashed a few times in his career, but they have only been flashes. He is not going to be better than Sway

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Why are the Bruins operating like teams don't universally pay their top young stars big money on their second deals these days? It's good they want Swayman to take 6.4 for the good of the team though so they can fit Korpi in there nicely.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Why are the Bruins operating like teams don't universally pay their top young stars big money on their second deals these days? It's good they want Swayman to take 6.4 for the good of the team though so they can fit Korpi in there nicely.
You can't point to a goalie getting that kind of deal at this point in their career. Meaning 6-8 years at $9M+ (factoring for cap inflation). So why should the Bruins be the first to do it?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
You can't point to a goalie getting that kind of deal at this point in their career. Meaning 6-8 years at $9M+ (factoring for cap inflation). So why should the Bruins be the first to do it?
Who cares, be the first. You’re the one in this position He’s 25 and the future in nets for the team. You lock him up. They don’t exactly have a load of skaters who are going to be up for that kinda deal. A 4 year deal at this point makes zero sense for Swayman especially at sub 6.5. Hoping all the angst is for naught but they really seemed to have ****ed this up

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Who cares, be the first. You’re the one in this position He’s 25 and the future in nets for the team. You lock him up. They don’t exactly have a load of skaters who are going to be up for that kinda deal. A 4 year deal at this point makes zero sense for Swayman especially at sub 6.5. Hoping all the angst is for naught but they really seemed to have ****ed this up
No one is saying sub $6.5. There's a huge gulf between that and the McAvoy contract.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
All these issues are self inflicted by Don Sweeney.

Couldn't give Swayman a proper 2nd contract because of cap mistakes, so now wants a re-do and Swayman isn't budging. Good on Sway.
Good on Sway on trying to bend over the organization? This kid needs to get over his hurt feelings and stop demanding money he hasn't earned or deserves.

He's proven shit , I hope DS digs in and lets him sit if he doesn't come off his ask.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
All these issues are self inflicted by Don Sweeney.

Couldn't give Swayman a proper 2nd contract because of cap mistakes, so now wants a re-do and Swayman isn't budging. Good on Sway.
What cap mistakes? We were pushing for a Cup in 2023....

If you wanna criticize Sweeney, then you should start with timing of the Ullmark trade.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How do we know in 3 years that Zadorov will outplay Lohrei or the in 4 years Lindholm will outplay Poitras?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the chance that Bussi or Korpisalo outplay Swayman is lower than that of Lohrei outplaying a 32 year old Zadorov.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
If you really want to wildly speculate, I wonder if some of the DS contract argument is being ticked at two consecutive season ending playoff goals leaking through, or maybe even burning a hole at Wotherspoon after that last short side goal.

1726587574000.png

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If you really want to wildly speculate, I wonder if some of the DS contract argument is being ticked at two consecutive season ending playoff goals leaking through, or maybe even burning a hole at Wotherspoon after that last short side goal.

View attachment 907484

My wildest theory, of which there is literally no proof, is that Sweeney and the Bruins brought up the Game 7 loss to Florida as a reason for Swayman not to win his arbitration hearing and that rightfully pissed him off considering the circumstances.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I'm a fan of Swayman but this one is on him. He hired the obnoxious agent nobody gets along with, and they started with an ask that wasn't based in reality.

I get that in most negotiations you start high, they start low, and you meet somewhere in the middle, but the Bruins have comps to support a short term $6.25m offer, while Swayman's ask of $9.5 has no comps. There's no one he can point to at that price point and say my career is the same as his.

Again, I would expect the Bruins to come up from $6.25 (I was expecting a long-term deal in the $7-8m range) but when the other side starts in la la land, they have to adjust their ask before you can even talk about finding a middle ground (hence the "haven't returned our calls in 3 weeks" line).

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Good on Sway on trying to bend over the organization? This kid needs to get over his hurt feelings and stop demanding money he hasn't earned or deserves.

He's proven shit , I hope DS digs in and lets him sit if he doesn't come off his ask.
Yup that will help them win games. Build the team around defense and goaltending then don't sign the goalie.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Yes you can and its been pointed out many times. Rask's 8yr deal in today's NHL would be an 8yr/$9.5 million deal. He and Swayman have very similar numbers at the same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad