Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think it’s ok for fans to want championships. It’s the essence of being a fan. I think most players who really compete (part of the problem with the current Leaf core) want championships badly.

Cam Neely had a stellar career as a player — one sadly cut short by that dirtbag Ulf S. He was a true competitor — perhaps the epitome of a competitor. However, I’m sure that he never won a Cup eats at him. Part of some great teams and runs, yes. But, again, I’m sure that not having a ring as a player is a sore spot.

Of course.

I agree.

Not sure about the statement about the Leafs core. I would think they would want a championship badly too. But if the players were making minimum wage, I'm sure they would want it even more for the playoff checks.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ooooh, cup losers makes it all better for you, does it? LOFL

This is what’s wrong with Bruins fans. They’ve been gaslit by constant praises from management about how great just making the playoffs is versus being cup driven.

One. Cup. In. 52. Years.
I'm a Habs fan.
But I recognize great organizations when I see them around the league

You would have thought a goalie like that would have gotten a way better return. Oh wait, he was cut from the Bruins mold of great regular season, choking play-offs, yanked in two series from being the guy and losing his only start in another.
When was the last time anybody ever got a huge return in a trade for a goalie?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If they sign Swayman in next week or within 48 hours into camp im looking at

54 games

37-11-6 2.30 GAA 2.30 930 SV %

Donny let’s go !!!!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Camp starts and he's still not signed I definitely start worrying a bit
Yah

Ideally he’s signed day of camp

If he signs to early we have Peeke is the worst thing ever and Sweeney should be fired focus

Donny can drag this out a bit more it’s more entertaining then Peeke at $2.75 & Korpi at $3 M, and we coulda shoulda woulda

Oh and one Cup in 53 years crowd feeling wronged even though many don’t have parents that old

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
i am not going to read backwards everytime a discussion goes sideways....how about including the previous quotes instead

I'm not going to quote every single post within the discussion just to make things more convenient for you. If you care enough to understand why its being discussed, you can go back and look like the rest of us would have to.

Reactions: PaulD

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Bruins could keep the two goalie tandem with Sway and Korper and make the play offs. Then go with Sway and beat the leafs.
There is a reason Ulmark looked average in Buffalo and all world in Boston.
Goalies always play better on that Bs "team"
As Korper will soon see.
This is not true though. Ullmark put up outstanding personal numbers in Buffalo which were a complete anomaly compared to the rest of his team which were absolutely brutal. Corpse did not do that lol

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This is not true though. Ullmark put up outstanding personal numbers in Buffalo which were a complete anomaly compared to the rest of his team which were absolutely brutal. Corpse did not do that lol

Just to build off this

Ullmark was really solid in Buffalo.

Korpisalo has been a backup his whole career besides last year. Korpisalo had a lot of terrible years as a backup while getting easy deployments. Last year was his first year as a starter and was the worst goalie in the NHl

Reactions: LiseL and Dicky113

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Good point. But Corpse will be better on Boston. Like Ulmark was .....until play offs that is.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It's totally fine to admit you were wrong ya know....or just double down. Like looking back 3 years you cant possibly still think that was a bad signing right?

Not singling you out Mike, plenty of others didn't like it either
Maybe someone can gotcha me, but I don't think I particularly disliked the deal at time.

I thought it was a rather hefty price tag for a guy, frankly, I had never heard of prior.

That first season, at least to begin, Ullmark looked very shaky and uncomfortable.

If he made a stop, which he did consistently, he did so in awkward fashion.

At that time, I had zero confidence Linus could steal a game.

Swayman, on the other hand, looked fabulous to me from the very beginning, not least because of his age.

It is unusual for very young goaltenders to be as poised and mature in the net as Jeremy appeared from the get-go.

I had no doubt that he would prove capable of stealing games for the Bruins, plural. Which he did. Or that he could be Boston's goaltender of the future.

Ullmark eventually got it together and perrformed admirably. He was also tasked with facing the better clubs back then, and did so with success.

I grew to appreciate Linus as a player and a person. I wish him well and I'm sure he'll be fine in Ottawa. As noted previously, in a gesture of commitment, he bought a house in Ottawa recently.

Even so, I believe Jeremy Swayman will become the Bruins goaltender of the future, and has established himself as their goaltender of the present as well.

Peace out.

Don't play too rough,

🥅 🏒 ✌️🍁

Reactions: BMC and NDiesel

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

The interesting part is that aside from his Vezina season, his numbers during his last 2yrs in Buffalo were similar to his 2 non-Vezina years in Boston.

Reactions: Dicky113

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I'm a Habs fan.
But I recognize great organizations when I see them around the league

When was the last time anybody ever got a huge return in a trade for a goalie?
Askarov? Markstrom? Kuemper?

Last edited:

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
What if they sign him for big money/term and he completely shits the bed? Not likely given what we've seen from him this past season/playoffs. But just think about the ramifications of that man. Pump the brakes on the 9m/aav talk a little bit

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I imagine he’s asking a question based on your terms. You said he should be fired if the Bruins can’t/won’t sign Swayman. But what if they do sign him… to an 8 year $10M/yr deal?

For me as of today, there’s no reliable evidence that either Sweeney has botched this negotiation… OR that Swayman is being a greedy asshole. We simply have no idea of what either side is asking for. The reports with rumoured numbers mean absolutely diddly.

However, if this proposed contract is what we end up with, I’ll swallow it - but I won’t like it. To me THAT would be clear indication that Sweeney botched the negotiation and that Swayman and his agent took advantage.

Do you think that it’s a fireable offense?
I just ripped a bong so hoping this response ends up being coherent lol

If the bruins sign Swayman to ANYTHING, I won’t, personally, find fault with that - I am pretty entrenched in the pay the man what he wants camp - so the direct response is no, I wouldn’t consider that a fireable offence

If, tho, they decide they cannot accommodate sway’s demands and let him go AFTER losing Ully, under the assumption that they would have had some prior sense of the demands before making said Ully deal, I would find that a fireable offence

Man I feel like Ron burgundy in that scene of old school where he provides some monster trivia answer and then blacks out lmao

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
True.
However I'd say Swayman has shown far more consistency as a puck stopper than JD did as a forward.
Looking at the last 3 years of goalie stats in the league, Swayman is not too far removed from the top five or Ullmark stats wise.

The truth of your comment is that Swayman appears like he wants to be paid as if he's "the guy", when in fact he shared net duties throughout he career.
If he wants 8-8.5... fine. Be prepared to play 60-65 games then, not a half a season.

COMPLETELY FAIR, and a point that Haggerty has made repeatedly. The fact remains Jeremy Swayman has yet to play, say it with me, more than 44 games in a regular season.

Yet he wants to be paid like an elite number one goaltender.

Is he elite? His regular season and post season play indicate he is.

But as others here rightly point out, he has to prove he can carry the load of 60 plus games in the regular season, and perform at a high level in the playoffs to deserve that kind of contract.

Given a near universal assumption that the cap will continue to increase, especially relative to yet more expansion, "that kind of contract" - short or long-term, for huge dollars regardless - may become the rule for elite and not so elite goaltenders going forward.

Whether you like it or not, 10 million X 8 years may prove the norm.

I don't have any answers here, and I'm not particularly taking sides.

It is a complex series of variables, but I suspect someone will blink, likely uncomfortably close to camp, and a deal will get done.

If it does, it will be "interesting" to see how the parties relate to each other thereafter.

A thorny business.

But that's why they say it's a business.

👉🧻🚽🪠👀

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
The interesting part is that aside from his Vezina season, his numbers during his last 2yrs in Buffalo were similar to his 2 non-Vezina years in Boston.
Yea this is why the story line of “he was a product of Bostons system” doesn’t work at all.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Maybe someone can gotcha me, but I don't think I particularly disliked the deal at time.

I thought it was a rather hefty price tag for a guy, frankly, I had never heard of prior.

That first season, at least to begin, Ullmark looked very shaky and uncomfortable.

If he made a stop, which he did consistently, he did so in awkward fashion.

At that time, I had zero confidence Linus could steal a game.

Swayman, on the other hand, looked fabulous to me from the very beginning, not least because of his age.

It is unusual for very young goaltenders to be as poised and mature in the net as Jeremy appeared from the get-go.

I had no doubt that he would prove capable of stealing games for the Bruins, plural. Which he did. Or that he could be Boston's goaltender of the future.

Ullmark eventually got it together and perrformed admirably. He was also tasked with facing the better clubs back then, and did so with success.

I grew to appreciate Linus as a player and a person. I wish him well and I'm sure he'll be fine in Ottawa. As noted previously, in a gesture of commitment, he bought a house in Ottawa recently.

Even so, I believe Jeremy Swayman will become the Bruins goaltender of the future, and has established himself as their goaltender of the present as well.

Peace out.

Don't play too rough,

🥅 🏒 ✌️🍁

Seriously?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I'm not going to quote every single post within the discussion just to make things more convenient for you. If you care enough to understand why its being discussed, you can go back and look like the rest of us would have to.
Shouldn't this have been in the roster/ salary cap thread ?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Sway needs to take a discount. Can't win in the playoffs and Donny needs to pay more JAGs to not show up.

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Ok. Those are goalies.
What did their former teams get in return?
Thats what the post was about.
Askarov 1st rd prospect and 1st
Kuemper 1st, 3rd, good defensive prospect at time
Markstrom 1st and good young defenseman

No Vezina trophies there

No 4th line/healthy scratch type.. No cap dumps. In other words all for a far better package

Sway needs to take a discount. Can't win in the playoffs and Donny needs to pay more JAGs to not show up.
Almost 10 million paid to centers who combined for 2 goals in the play-offs.....plus 4.5 dead cap room from the year before because those two said centers weren't good enough the year before to be 1-2

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What if they sign him for big money/term and he completely shits the bed? Not likely given what we've seen from him this past season/playoffs. But just think about the ramifications of that man. Pump the brakes on the 9m/aav talk a little bit
Yeah they should just trade him now and get something for him.

Reactions: EverettMike

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Shouldn't this have been in the roster/ salary cap thread ?

Nope because it ties back to the value of Swayman. If you went back and took the time to see how this discussion started you'd know that. Instead you'd rather complain that you don't understand why it's being discussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad