Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I really don't understand what folks are worried about. The Bruins always keep things close to the vest so most of the speculation/rumors just seem like clickbait until we get closer to the start of the season.

Manufactured drama. People making a simple negotiation into the end of the f***ing world just to make it all about them. Happens every time an important FA signing doesn't happen on day 1 at 12:00 noon.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I was one of if not the OG Swayman booster here, since I got to watch him play his freshman year and raved about how good he was in net. I hope he gets paid well and for a long time, since I want to see him here for his core years. He's a cornerstone piece.

With that said, I think his comments about being mindful to future goaltender contracts has an air of naivete to them. I'm all for players getting paid what they're worth but I couldn't help but feel like that interview was a red flag moment for me. It could all just be posturing too. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not sure if this is directed at me - I’m not a general fire sweeney guy, but at the same time I do consider a scenario where you trade one stud G and then can’t/wont manage to sign the other a fireable offence in isolation
So if Swayman holds out for 8x$10M you fire Sweeney?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Almost like no-trades are a scourge and Sweeney gives them away far too easily, same as Chiarelli did.
Is Sweeney the only one getting burned by this? If other teams are offering NTC's to players that fit our needs, should we disregard them completely, or would you prefer to pay a monetary premium to acquire the player?

At the end of the day, I think this is pretty common across the NHL and if I put myself in the players position, I could certainly give up money to acquire the NMTC. Specifically with Ullmark, would you have paid 6 million a year for him if another team was offering the same 5 mil we did with a NMC? If I put myself in Ullmark's shoes, I don't think an extra million matters more then the security of having a long-term home.

So you can not like NMCs and NTCs but the players do like them and are getting them, so if this or any other team is unwilling to use them then it will clearly cost them monetarily and sometimes just remove them from consideration altogether.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Is Sweeney the only one getting burned by this? If other teams are offering NTC's to players that fit our needs, should we disregard them completely, or would you prefer to pay a monetary premium to acquire the player?

At the end of the day, I think this is pretty common across the NHL and if I put myself in the players position, I could certainly give up money to acquire the NMTC. Specifically with Ullmark, would you have paid 6 million a year for him if another team was offering the same 5 mil we did with a NMC? If I put myself in Ullmark's shoes, I don't think an extra million matters more then the security of having a long-term home.

So you can not like NMCs and NTCs but the players do like them and are getting them, so if this or any other team is unwilling to use them then it will clearly cost them monetarily and sometimes just remove them from consideration altogether.

Yeah that's fine. I'm beyond tired of NTCs and NMCs being a hinderance. And yes I'd be willing to pay a little more rather than hand them out.

Reactions: Kegs

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Do we know how many 5 mill + UFA contracts that have been signed in the past 5 years that have not included some sort of NTC/NMC baked into it at some point? I feel like that seems to be the contract trend in recent memory.

Reactions: HustleB and sarge88

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON
1 Cup in 53 years is pretty much complete failure. We have the Leafs to make things easier but that record sucks. Granted Harry Sinden was in charge for at least half of that.

By the way I am looking forward to this season and the Bruins being a tougher team and more of a team built to win in the playoffs, I in no way consider them a favorite to win the Cup.
That’s fair. I’m also looking forward to seeing the toughness factor and hopefully being the hammer this time

Reactions: Fenian24

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I have seen the Bruins win one cup in my lifetime.

I've seen an awful lot of good hockey and loved my time as a Bruins fan for most of it. The 90s were the darkest I've seen things and we are nowhere near that. Even so, many franchises have it worse off than us. I think we as fans take the last 15 years for granted. Go surf some other boards and get some perspective.

I don't care what grade management gets, Im here for fun and to enjoy watching my team play hockey.

Hope to see Sway stay a Bruin for a long time. If not, well, then I hope to see what Korpisalo and Bussi can do. Still excited to see how the new guys fair.

I can't wait for the season to start regardless of what happens.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
There’s not enough information or context in the question you’ve asked for me to answer it
IMG_2162.gif

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Sweeney probably gone

Who do you bring in?
Lip flappin', tie drapin' Brian Burke.

At least half of the forces aligned to topple the Causeway Cowards by way of holy jihad unrelenting internet disapproval have loved that guy since they were children.

The allure of the the 20 second sound bite. :heart:

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Lip flappin', tie drapin' Brian Burke.

At least half of the forces aligned to topple the Causeway Cowards by way of holy jihad unrelenting internet disapproval have loved that guy since they were children.

The allure of the the 20 second sound bite. :heart:
Burke with an unlit cigar and a tie draped around his neck looking into a camera and telling Kevin Paul Dupont ‘we will add more truculence and get this team over the hump….its been to small come playoff time since the big guy and guys like Adam and Seidenberg left. We’re getting back to Bruins hockey like when Cam and Chief played’

Reactions: BlackFrancis

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
So if Swayman holds out for 8x$10M you fire Sweeney?
You know I'm far from the Fire Sweeney crowd - but if Swayman is holding out for that contract and he is unwilling to pay it, it is 100% on Sweeney for trading his leverage and putting himself in that spot, without knowing the ask from the otherside.

Now, they will get some good assets for Sway regardless in this scenario so fireable offense is strong, but he'd have to be on the hotseat for sure.

He had his cheap goalie option in Ullmark, if he wasn't going to pay up he should have kept him.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The fans are on of the biggest reasons the team hasn't won that many cups, that's certainly a take. FFS if only I cheered harder during Game 7 in 2019.

Too bad we don't have as many fans like you, imagine how many more cups us fans could have won by being angry with management
You're internalizing what I'm saying and misinterpreting it. I'm not saying they haven't won because you as a fan haven't cared enough or rooted hard enough. If anything the exact opposite is true. What I'm saying is that Jacobs has very little reason to alter his approach of not paying what it takes on key players because the fans refuse to stop attending games. He's completely fine making money through the regular season and from a playoff round or two. Winning a cup would be cool but it isn't his focus, profitability is. The only time in recent history that the fans did stop going to games resulted in them going out and making moves on UFAs that ultimately got them a cup.

The Red Sox are in this same cycle right now. They keep developing home grown talent and then letting them walk after they get more expensive. Since Fenway is a tourist attraction and still fills up most nights, there's no incentive for the ownership to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad