Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Will be a sweet day when he signs, surely we will all be happy and stop discussing Sway and his contract.....right?
I feel bad for Swayman, he's going to be booed alot and have general disdain from many of the posters here. I didn't realize he wasn't that good until things started coming out that he was greedy and a half season caliber goalie.

You know I'm far from the Fire Sweeney crowd - but if Swayman is holding out for that contract and he is unwilling to pay it, it is 100% on Sweeney for trading his leverage and putting himself in that spot, without knowing the ask from the otherside.

Now, they will get some good assets for Sway regardless in this scenario so fireable offense is strong, but he'd have to be on the hotseat for sure.

He had his cheap goalie option in Ullmark, if he wasn't going to pay up he should have kept him.
I don't think it's allowed here to be a guy who doesn't have any real issues with management to actually hold them accountable on something like that. :)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
BTW, does anyone else find it dubious that the last two days have multiple reports from multiple media outlets saying the Bruins are lowballing a player only to see a report today that they're not far apart at all? JFC, I hate when shit gets negotiated through the media. It's never a good sign when you start hearing conflicting reports pushing agendas from both sides.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So if Swayman holds out for 8x$10M you fire Sweeney?
It’s 10 M last week …..Draisaitl signed for $14 M and Swayman probably had 2 business classes

This going to get messy

Should have dealt him for Cutter Gauthier when the Flyers were in the pickle

Keep Ullmark

Flyers get their goalie we get a stud young F

Tragic Donny

BTW, does anyone else find it dubious that the last two days have multiple reports from multiple media outlets saying the Bruins are lowballing a player only to see a report today that they're not far apart at all? JFC, I hate when shit gets negotiated through the media. It's never a good sign when you start hearing conflicting reports pushing agendas from both sides.
Woah…..what report

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I don't find it dubious, I find it to be a product of off-season hockey coverage. There isn't a lot to talk about and these guys have to produce content in this day and age.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Both reports can be true. They are actually 8 or 9 days apart (the Chiclets podcast where the Bruins 4x $6.25M offer was reported was recorded last Wednesday), lots can happen in that amount of time, especially around now when the pressure to get a deal done is getting higher by the week.

Reactions: BMC, DKH and LSCII

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What players need to step up?

Well said.......

Put it this way, you're top 3 goal scorers in the regular season combined for 2 goals in 6 games vs the Panthers. Brandon Carlo was tied for 1st on the team in goals scored for the series against Florida.

Reactions: BBruins

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Put it this way, you're top 3 goal scorers in the regular season combined for 2 goals in 6 games vs the Panthers. Brandon Carlo was tied for 1st on the team in goals scored for the series against Florida.
You did not answer the question.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I was one of if not the OG Swayman booster here, since I got to watch him play his freshman year and raved about how good he was in net. I hope he gets paid well and for a long time, since I want to see him here for his core years. He's a cornerstone piece.

With that said, I think his comments about being mindful to future goaltender contracts has an air of nativity to them. I'm all for players getting paid what they're worth but I couldn't help but feel like that interview was a red flag moment for me. It could all just be posturing too. We'll see.

Or is it him living through some of the negotiation struggles because of deals that goaltenders before him took.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
There’s not enough information or context in the question you’ve asked for me to answer it
I imagine he’s asking a question based on your terms. You said he should be fired if the Bruins can’t/won’t sign Swayman. But what if they do sign him… to an 8 year $10M/yr deal?

For me as of today, there’s no reliable evidence that either Sweeney has botched this negotiation… OR that Swayman is being a greedy asshole. We simply have no idea of what either side is asking for. The reports with rumoured numbers mean absolutely diddly.

However, if this proposed contract is what we end up with, I’ll swallow it - but I won’t like it. To me THAT would be clear indication that Sweeney botched the negotiation and that Swayman and his agent took advantage.

Do you think that it’s a fireable offense?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You did not answer the question.

In fairness, you didn't answer mine first when I asked if you knew who the top 3 goal scorers were in the Florida series. It shouldn't be that hard to look up the teams stats from last regular season to see who the top 3 goals scorers were.....hell you'd probably be able to guess 2 of the 3 pretty easily.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
In fairness, you didn't answer mine first when I asked if you knew who the top 3 goal scorers were in the Florida series. It shouldn't be that hard to look up the teams stats from last regular season to see who the top 3 goals scorers were.....hell you'd probably be able to guess 2 of the 3 pretty easily.
I bet one wasn't Swayman who is supposed to be the topic of this thread............

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What is the point DeBrusk/Carlo/Geekie.........that makes you happy , I hope

I bet one wasn't Swayman who is supposed to be the topic of this thread............
It is still relevant, and I understand what you are saying, but it comes down to is how much do you sign Sway, and have left to address the offense.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
What's the date when even the most optimistic people will freak out? October 1?

I said September 1 was my "okay, maybe time to worry date," but I don't feel worried yet. I just think there's a chance this could be an issue.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I said September 1 was my "okay, maybe time to worry date," but I don't feel worried yet. I just think there's a chance this could be an issue.
For me? If Swayman is “sitting out”, that’s when I will start to be concerned. So… the 18th?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What is the point DeBrusk/Carlo/Geekie.........that makes you happy , I hope

It is still relevant, and I understand what you are saying, but it comes down to is how much do you sign Sway, and have left to address the offense.

The point is you can be expected to do well if your big producers aren't producing. If you can get more than 2 goals out of your top 3 goal scorers you can win that series with how well Swayman played. So back to my original point, you need your current guys to step up.

Feel free to go back a few pages and read how this discussion ties into Swayman

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm sure all the owners would consider that 52 year stretch a success.
I think it’s ok for fans to want championships. It’s the essence of being a fan. I think most players who really compete (part of the problem with the current Leaf core) want championships badly.

Cam Neely had a stellar career as a player — one sadly cut short by that dirtbag Ulf S. He was a true competitor — perhaps the epitome of a competitor. However, I’m sure that he never won a Cup eats at him. Part of some great teams and runs, yes. But, again, I’m sure that not having a ring as a player is a sore spot.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
The point is you can be expected to do well if your big producers aren't producing. If you can get more than 2 goals out of your top 3 goal scorers you can win that series with how well Swayman played. So back to my original point, you need your current guys to step up.

Feel free to go back a few pages and read how this discussion ties into Swayman
i am not going to read backwards everytime a discussion goes sideways....how about including the previous quotes instead

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Camp starts is when I’ll be wtf is going on

Logic says pay him around what Saros got who’s a comparable skill wise if not age and experience, work load

Swayman was a beast at Maine he has never been frail

Something as basic as
6 (12)
7.5 (19.5)
7.5 (27)
8.5 (35.5)
8.5 (44)
10 (54)
10 (64 M)

He didn’t Leave the Goalies like Trey Augustine in a bad negotiating spot on 6 years

Jack Hughes 8/64 had no bearing on Leon Draisaitl

If that’s not fair for Swayman - God Bless him tell them you want a Necas 2 year deal and betting on self

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Correct.

Owners put up the money.

Fans just in it for kicks.
And ticket sales. And jersey sales. And TV viewing. And eating/drinking concessions. And parking.

All things that make the League possible and the owners of some teams a lot of money.

If you put Bob Kraft up against Jeremy Jacobs? Both owners of hugely successful teams in terms of money.

Honest question. If you had to pick one owner over another in terms of passion to win Championships, would you pick Kraft or Jacobs? Again, honestly asking.

For me, Kraft comes across as much more passionate.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You're internalizing what I'm saying and misinterpreting it. I'm not saying they haven't won because you as a fan haven't cared enough or rooted hard enough. If anything the exact opposite is true. What I'm saying is that Jacobs has very little reason to alter his approach of not paying what it takes on key players because the fans refuse to stop attending games. He's completely fine making money through the regular season and from a playoff round or two. Winning a cup would be cool but it isn't his focus, profitability is. The only time in recent history that the fans did stop going to games resulted in them going out and making moves on UFAs that ultimately got them a cup.

The Red Sox are in this same cycle right now. They keep developing home grown talent and then letting them walk after they get more expensive. Since Fenway is a tourist attraction and still fills up most nights, there's no incentive for the ownership to change.
They'll keep pushing it and pushing it too. They aren't even close to approaching equilibrium. Once we start trending in that direction then I think they'll consider a pivot. By that I mean they'll mull it over for 3 years and field shit rosters, then cut salaries for a few years to even out profits again, and then slowly ramp it up.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Only chance that removing Sweeney gets discussed on Causeway is if they are in danger of being out of the playoffs.

Now back to Swayman.
Which iMO is why Swayman gets signed. Unless Goalie Bob is a true magician a Bussi/Korpisalo tandem is a DNQ season.

I’m not worried. Swayman signs somehow.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
And ticket sales. And jersey sales. And TV viewing. And eating/drinking concessions. And parking.
All things that make the League possible and the owners of some teams a lot of money.
If you put Bob Kraft up against Jeremy Jacobs? Both owners of hugely successful teams in terms of money.
Honest question. If you had to pick one owner over another in terms of passion to win Championships, would you pick Kraft or Jacobs? Again, honestly asking.

For me, Kraft comes across as much more passionate.

Honestly, I have no idea. Much like you.

They "come across" as they choice to.

Odds are Kraft only cares about championships in terms of how much money it generates.

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad