Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Neither Shesterkin, Oettinger or Saros's deals bought UFA years, 4 for Swayman would be buying 2 of them.

Saros signed his new 8 year deal as an RFA, further hurting your point
Shesterkin's last two seasons (last season and this coming season) were UFA. Saaros might have had three UFA seasons bought out, given he's 29 currently and will be playing his final year of that deal this coming season.

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Neither Shesterkin, Oettinger or Saros's deals bought UFA years, 4 for Swayman would be buying 2 of them.

Saros signed his new 8 year deal as an RFA, further hurting your point
Yeah they did. Shesterkin's deal, 2 of 4 was UFA years, and Saros' deal 3 of 4 was UFA years. Oettingers is the only one without, and it had the lowest AAV of those 3 for that reason. He will have 1 more RFA year at expiry.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I agreed with Mike, but this is a fair statement too. I initially based my hypothetical on these deals. Oettinger is a little bit of a different situation (was a few years younger and signed a 3-year). But I think this is a fair callout.

Yeah Oettinger is a stretch. But I’m really coming around to thinking the Bruins want 8…but won’t get 8…but 4-6 like Saros, Helly and Shesterkin got in similar situations.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Someone explain to me why a top of the roster player in a key spot is someone you hardline with a 2 year max by 6.25 per offer but Zadorov, a bottom of the roster player, is given 5x6 for 30 mill without even a thought? I mean I didn’t got to Harvard so maybe it’s that new math I keep hearing about, but this shit doesn’t add up.
That’s right. If we take a step back and think of very recent deals:

1. They took on $3M for FOUR MORE years for a 30 year old backup who had the worst performance of any starter last season in a deal so bad for the Bruins that national media continues to laugh about it.

2. $2.75M for the #6 dman and $5M for the #5 dman with a term bringing him well into his regression years for a near $8M 3rd pair

3. Way over market value for the new #2C, with most of those years in full regression years.

All while knowing your youngish in-his-prime #1 needs a new deal. All these overpays accumulate to cap hell. We have seen this scenario since the cap was introduced in 2005.

I have been saying for months that Swayman will get $9M if the deal is over 5 years. I still think that is where this ends up.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Love how Swayman was amazing and the Bruins best player in the playoffs, then contract negotitions started.

'Can't Carry a load' - Bruins were the cause of this
'1 Playoff series win' - Team game?'
'Not Elite' - Numbers say otherwise

Swayman is the second best player on the Boston Bruins

To beat the panthers Swayman basically had to keep them to 1 goal or less the entire series. Totally his fault
Lots of gate keepers here. Shocking really. The object as a fan I thought was to have the best players you can possibly get and pay them accordingly. I don't know why fans are so worried about how much he gets, that's for the suits to figure out. More money spent on superstars equals less extra money to give scrubs, which I consider a good thing.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

1. They took on $3M for FOUR MORE years for a 30 year old backup who had the worst performance of any starter last season in a deal so bad for the Bruins that national media continues to laugh about it.

2. $2.75M for the #6 dman and $5M for the #5 dman with a term bringing him well into his regression years for a near $8M 3rd pair

3. Way over market value for the new #2C, with most of those years in full regression years.

All while knowing your youngish in-his-prime #1 needs a new deal. All these overpays accumulate to cap hell. We have seen this scenario since the cap was introduced in 2005.

I have been saying for months that Swayman will get $9M if the deal is over 5 years. I still think that is where this ends up.
Spot on and summed up far more succinctly than I could have done.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I would prefer 7, but I can live with that , but what are the terms.
I had a good nights sleep last night, not going with the 7.5 sorry too much, I am not even sure 7 is good with me.

What’s really funny are the fans who expect a player to take a well below fair market offer just because it’s the team they root for. Sweeney grossly overpaying bottom of the roster stiffs suddenly starts headlining top of the roster players to the detriment of the team.,
How is he overpaying bottom six, and who are the stiffs ?

• Haha

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Lots of gate keepers here. Shocking really. The object as a fan I thought was to have the best players you can possibly get and pay them accordingly. I don't know why fans are so worried about how much he gets, that's for the suits to figure out. More money spent on superstars equals less extra money to give scrubs, which I consider a good thing.

still wondering how Sway is considered a superstar with his resume if 1 playoff series win. Heck Ullmark won a Vezina in front of this D and he's no superstar. The money will be there if he indeed is actually a superstar and plays like one

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think it is a little early to put the superstar tag on a goalie like Swayman with a limited resume. I think a reasonable offer would be 6 mil for the next 4 years. Then if his numbers continue to be consistent and his play up to par he can then go for the big payday. Probably not for the Bruins.

Both sides have risks to contend with and as such both are sticking to their contract specifics. Hope they can come to some agreement and move on with other team priorities.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I had a good nights sleep last night, not going with the 7.5 sorry too much, I am not even sure 7 is good with me.

How is he overpaying bottom six, and who are the stiffs ?
See the post a few above from @Kalus as he listed out a few very glaring overpayments both in free agency and taking on bad contracts via trade.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
See the post a few above from @Kalus as he listed out a few very glaring overpayments both in free agency and taking on bad contracts via trade.
You think Lindholm is way over market value? How do you decide that?

The sleight of hand putting Zadorov on the third pair when by all accounts he’s not going to be on the third pair (while ignoring that we have a defenseman on an ELC likely starting there) is doing a lot of work as well.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
still wondering how Sway is considered a superstar with his resume if 1 playoff series win. Heck Ullmark won a Vezina in front of this D and he's no superstar. The money will be there if he indeed is actually a superstar and plays like one

Depends on what someone's definition of "superstar" is

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He said Zadorov is getting 5 mil for 6 years not true, Korpasalo was part of the deal to get a #1 pick, not that I am agreement with it it is just what the deal was. I agree with the Lindholm signing way, to much said so last year when he was talked about, to many $$ and to long a term. Peake is signed and can be up for discussion, but he does give you defensive depth and the Bruins know what that is like every year they pay through the nose to add for the playoffs, you now have that depth in place without a overpay at the deadline. Now can someone name the bottom six stiffs, that question that I asked was not answered.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Near impossible for an offer sheet.
Most teams set on goalies. Have not the cap room. Dont have own draft picks as compensation. The hit regardless of years offered ( Max 7 ) is averaged at 5. So 8 M ‘costs’ 11M per.
Long term doesn't work for offer sheet, only problem would be one that takes him to UFA like 2x6.8.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

When you put it like that it sounds bad.

Reactions: Kalus and LSCII

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I listened to his recent interview again today. It sounds like he is willing and ready to hold out, based on the tone and substance of what he said. It will be an interesting month or so moving forward.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Reactions: Pia8988

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Using this as my guide:

So the max AAV for not that bad a package to pay is over 9.

$6,871,374 - $9,161,8341 1st-round pick, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick

If a team offers him five-years for that AAV the Bs would match it, right? He's worth more than a 1st 2nd, and 3rd.

I think they would match. Besides there are very limited teams that have the money, their own picks and are without a number one goalie. Its like 3 to 5. I cant remember the exact number.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad