Jeremy Roenick, Shea Weber and Pavel Datsyuk inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Because they don't have a distinction of first-ballot being special?

That's a silly baseball only thing. Why do fans want that mentality to exist?
First-ballot ought to be special. It should be reserved for the best, most successful, most impactful people in hockey.

Might as well have fan voting, otherwise.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
First-ballot ought to be special. It should be reserved for the best, most successful, most impactful people in hockey.

Might as well have fan voting, otherwise.
Ought to be... why? There's no distinction in the HHOF, why should there be?

What a silly non-sequetor of logic there to the fan voting... There's not even a mental though line.

Reactions: cptjeff

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Damn, talk about a lot of people in this thread outing themselves. Weber was one of the best shutdown Ds in the history of the sport. The game ain't just about collecting points. Those who voted actually know the game. They consider the impact that a player had on the teams he played with.

I'd put Weber at the same level of worthiness as Datsyuk for this year.

As for Roenick, he was always going to be a fringe pick, but he finally made it. Mogilny is about the same, so maybe one day he'll make it in, but people are overrating him way too much.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
He lacks Mogilny's peak play and all-star nods but for consistency, maybe! He was kind of a passenger for his Cup win much like Mogilny was in Jersey, so I feel like that's more a luck of the draw accolade. Either way, Theo's definitely more deserving than Roenick, Leo Boivin, Lowe, or Clark Gilles.
Fleury was 7th in points for the Flames, as a rookie, when they won the cup. I wouldn't call that a passenger by any stretch of the imagination. He's also finished his career as a 1.00 PPG player and is LITERALLY the only player in NHL history, maybe even professional hcokey history, that has a penalty kill hattrick.

The only player even close to his small stature with a similar career is Martin St. Louis, who spent most of his career playing in a less physical era than Fleury.

To be able to have the kind of career in the NHL with his size in that era is freakish to be honest.

He 100% deserves to be in the HHoF.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Big miss on Weber.

Everyone is forgetting the many years Weber was considered a top 5 dman in the league. There were even years he was considered the best or second best.

He’s not much different than a Keith or Doughty who are both locks for the HOF. Weber played for a mediocre team though.

This.

A lot of posters are making fools of themselves regarding Weber in this thread.

Reactions: um

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Continues the theme of changing into the hall of above average.

Big miss on Weber.

Everyone is forgetting the many years Weber was considered a top 5 dman in the league. There were even years he was considered the best or second best.

He’s not much different than a Keith or Doughty who are both locks for the HOF. Weber played for a mediocre team though.
This is silly.

Doughty won a Norris and won cups

Keith won the Norris twice and won cups

Comparing weber's career to either is hollow.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Meh, idk about Weber.

Guys like Shea Weber & Ryan Getzlaf are the guys who I think work perfectly as the upper echelon of "hall of very good" and should demarcate where the HOF starts. I think Weber should be left out to hold the line of high standards. (I know the standards have already been badly compromised many times but no need to keep lowering the bar as a result).

Very good player with a very high peak no doubt. Was perennially a top 5 Dman for many years but no Norris, no cups. He has 3x Norris finalist but so does PK Subban (including a win). Mike Green finished 2nd two years in a row directly preceding Weber finishing 2nd two years in a row so it doesn't mean so much that it makes your HOF case on its own. Only 3x did he have 50+ points in a season as well (I know lower scoring era).

Really amazing defenceman but the kinda guy I'd like to use as the grocery stick between HOF and not.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

This is silly.

Weber was just as good as Keith was when he won his 2nd Norris, if not better. He has three years where he had a legitimate chance at a Norris. He played on a team with no offense, of course he doesn't have a cup.
Meh, idk about Weber.

Guys like Shea Weber & Ryan Getzlaf are the guys who I think work perfectly as the upper echelon of "hall of very good" and should demarcate where the HOF starts. I think Weber should be left out to hold the line of high standards. (I know the standards have already been badly compromised many times but no need to keep lowering the bar as a result).

Very good player with a very high peak no doubt. Was perennially a top 5 Dman for many years but no Norris, no cups. He has 3x Norris finalist but so does PK Subban (including a win). Mike Green finished 2nd two years in a row directly preceding Weber finishing 2nd two years in a row so it doesn't mean so much that it makes your HOF case on its own. Only 3x did he have 50+ points in a season as well (I know lower scoring era).

Really amazing defenceman but the kinda guy I'd like to use as the grocery stick between HOF and not.
Weber is closer to having two Norrises than Subban or Green was and Subban won a Norris, I don't think you realize how impressive that is.

You're forgetting that those 50 plus point years he was leading Nashville because our offense sucked so bad.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Weber is closer to having two Norrises than Subban or Green was and Subban won a Norris, I don't think you realize how impressive that is.

You're forgetting that those 50 plus point years he was leading Nashville because our offense sucked so bad.
Yeah I've always been torn on him because I watched him with my own eyes and was following the league when he was in his prime (unlike JR for example) so I know he was a HOF talent on the ice and one of the top defenders in the game year in, year out.

That said, I think the HOF is for the elite of the elite, the cream of the crop and those types always manage to build a resume, they have hardware and stats. Weber just doesn't have a resume. Low(ish) point totals and zero individual awards. Ultimately I think you need a better resume to get in even if he passed the eye test and likely was screwed out of at least one Norris. (Lidstrom got the reputation vote for Norris 7).

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
As an aside, I went to Weber's stat page on nhl.com and I think it's funny that he's listed for the Utah Hockey Club.

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 14.31.11.png

Utah HC legend! Their 1st Hall of Famer.

Reactions: ClydeLee

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think Roenick and Datsyuk aren't too arguable, but Shea Weber, while I think there is an argument that he should be considered doesn't scream 1st ballot right into the HOF to me.
I don't even think he's a HOF player. Weber. As much as I hate Roenick, at least he has a real case.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

This is silly.

Because at when playing, Weber was considered better or in debate of top 3 Dman along with those guys for 5-6 years.

What happened to the years of posters on here seemingly saying Cups don't matter or cups shouldn't matter!

Idk how many exact voters got a vote, but Lidstrom had 8 more ballot votes than Weber. If 1 just notched Weber higher or had him top 2 at all, he wouldn't of lost a Norris he desevered over a 40 year old Lidstrom. To judge a player as not having a trophy is that minuscule of a factor. It's a really funny rationale to see online here.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Weber is a 4x All Star defenseman that finished high in Norris voting a hundred times. That’s a first ballot lock.
Okay, so many people voted for him, and many people voted for him.

Sorry to break it to you, but these are not accomplishments.

An absolute joke that Weber is in, and decisions like these keep diluting the HHoF.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Roenick is kind of borderline by current HHoF standards. But I'm OK with it because he was a personality. He's got more of the "fame" aspect going for him than some past inductees, and I like that.

The Hall of "Fame" should be putting more emphasis on stories than stats. Not every display should just say "he scored a thousand ish points". Datsyuk, as an example, deserves to be in even if he had scored 200 points less because he was a unique player.

I'd prefer to go to the HHoF and see displays of fun hockey history and unique people and moments.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Shea Weber is the only one I kind of disagree with. Yes, he point up good numbers while playing well over 1000 games. However, no Cup or trophies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad