Jeff Skinner: from 0 play off games to McDavid wing

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Skinner isnt a playoff player, good luck with that. In playoffs, Foegele would help you out more than skinner. I see skinner putting up some goals in regular season but due to physical play and high intensity and grind of playoffs, disappear like Mikheyev.

And Oilers buying out skinner a second time to make cap room for Drai salary increase 😅

I keep seeing people post this but it's doesnt make any sense. No-one really knows how effective Skinner will be in the playoffs because he's never actually been in them.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
His plus minus on some very bad Buffalo teams is not that bad the last two years.

-2 this past year and +15 the year prior is respectable given that the Sabres are a perennial non-playoff team.

Sam Reinhart was -15 and -28 his last two years in Buffalo, Eichel was +9 and -11 in the last two full years he played there.
Skinner was +30 5v5 over his last 3 years on Buffalo.

That was best on the team over that span.

Seems like he was succeeding in his role.

Reactions: OilerMcLord

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I keep seeing people post this but it's doesnt make any sense. No-one really knows how effective Skinner will be in the playoffs because he's never actually been in them.
It is done be generalizing from similar type of players. I'm sure you understand the concept.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Not having playoff experience doesnt make your argument any stronger that he would be. Thats actual makes my case stronger since he doesnt even have playoff experience

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He’s played with Pasta no? And pasta is better than Debrusk. I’d see how his production is with Pasta as a good analogue to how he’ll play with Petey. Unfortunately though, Petey is a no show in the playoffs, so it doesn’t do much for the Nucks when it matters.
Pasta is not a center and he is mainly a goal scorer. He doesnt distribute the puck like Pettersson does as a centerman. Also petey had injury but his prior playoffs shows he was PPG in 2020 playoffs. So i wouldnt take this years playoff as the indication that he disappears. He was not playing well since february so it had nothing to do with not showing up in playoffs.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Not having playoff experience doesnt make your argument any stronger that he would be. Thats actual makes my case stronger since he doesnt even have playoff experience

No. You said Skinner isn't a playoff player and will disappear in the playoffs. Thats pure conjecture given that he's never played in the playoffs.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
No. You said Skinner isn't a playoff player and will disappear in the playoffs. Thats pure conjecture given that he's never played in the playoffs.
He disappears during regular season and during physical play so my assumptions is based off of what i have seen so far. I mean its hard to see a player who shies away from physical contact become a playoff warrior, especially with his physique. He isnt no connor garland, thats for sure.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's not there to drive the bus, just has to finish some feeds from McDavid and Draisaitl.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Most players don't do so good in their first playoff run but with Edmonton he's just a support player so he should have less pressure.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
It would be funny if the "Skinner Curse" caused the Oilers to miss the playoffs. I don't think that's even remotely likely though, barring a season-ending injury to McDavid and/or Draisaitl (more McDavid than Drai).

He's not the missing piece though either. The Oilers defense and/or goaltending is still suspect.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It would be funny if the "Skinner Curse" caused the Oilers to miss the playoffs. I don't think that's even remotely likely though, barring a season-ending injury to McDavid and/or Draisaitl (more McDavid than Drai).

He's not the missing piece though either. The Oilers defense and/or goaltending is still suspect.
They don't believe in curses they signed Perry again :sarcasm:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
People in here saying Skinner is good because of his +/- is silly he definitely isn't the type of player you want for the playoffs as someone who watched him for Several years now and his skating a took a big dip last season. He provides zero value when he isn't getting points.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Is it even possible to play like shit on a line with McD ?
macdavid-puljujarvi-696x392.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It is done be generalizing from similar type of players. I'm sure you understand the concept.
His draft year he scored 20 goals in 20 playoff games and was very much a big game player. In his time with the Canes they didn’t play many big games but he was front and center in pretty much all of them as their most dangerous player. The idea that he is incapable of being a big game player is comical.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Skinner just needs to come to Edmonton and finish great scoring chances that McDavid and Draisaitl will be feeding him left and right for 82 games. If he can score 25-30 goals on another team he could possibly score even more on the Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think people really understand especially at 5 on 5 how much offense the Oilers leave on the table because they've had players like Foegele, Yamamoto, McLeod, Janmark, and even RNH (pass first and pass second player, not really a shooter) and Kane (was great the first year but since that wrist injury, hasn't been as good with the puck) flubbing a metric shit ton of McDavid + Draisaitl set ups for them.

I'm not saying those guys are bad players, but they lack in being a top 6 winger who have a shooting mentality and will bury point blank setups from McDavid and Draisaitl.

The Oilers could score more than what the presently do especially 5 on 5 IMO, there are a lot of games where their wingers can't hit the broad side of a barn even with 5 star setups.

Arvidsson and especially Skinner are both shoot first players.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
There’s never really been a correlation between him and his teams not making the playoffs. Both organizations were struggling to put a complete team together during his time. His draft position jumped right before his draft because he scored 20 goals in 20 games in what would be his last playoffs. Always thought he’d be a good big game player if he could get in some big games.

He made his choice to go to Buffalo to be close to home, so you can’t say it’s not on him but if he can get into playoff games while he can still contribute I think he’ll have something to offer. It wouldn’t nor shouldn’t be a surprise. His nose around the net could lead to a lot of playoff goals even without a superstar feeding him.

I will also sign with Buffalo for 9M....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At the time Buffalo looked like they were on the up and up with players like Eichel and Dahlin in the fold. Obviously it didn't work out.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's not a given than Skinner will be anywhere near McDavid line. He has a lot of competition at LW.

RNH, Hyman, Kane and Holloway are all options at top 6 LW positions.

Even Henrique could play there as he did for a stretches this season.

Reactions: banks

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
To quote a Toronto musician fam, started from the bottom now we’re here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not a given than Skinner will be anywhere near McDavid line. He has a lot of competition at LW.

RNH, Hyman, Kane and Holloway are all options at top 6 LW positions.

Even Henrique could play there as he did for a stretches this season.

I mean ... lets be honest I think it's a pretty good chance.

RNH is pass first, pass second player that flubs a lot of McDavid feeds (I'm not saying he's a bad player just not a terrible efficient scoring winger that you would want next to a McDavid), Kane has had a mountain of injuries, Hyman can play RW and is a right shot, Holloway has like 15 career NHL goals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I mean ... lets be honest I think it's a pretty good chance.

RNH is pass first, pass second player that flubs a lot of McDavid feeds (I'm not saying he's a bad player just not a terrible efficient scoring winger that you would want next to a McDavid), Kane has had a mountain of injuries, Hyman can play RW and is a right shot, Holloway has like 15 career NHL goals.
Skinner will get a good look for sure but we have been there with many other potential McDavid wingers already .. a long list that didn't pan out.
RNH also helps out McDavid on defensive end often playing the C role allowing McD to hang around the blueline instead of the trenches.
All I am saying is that Oilers have options.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad