At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like the improvements he’s made to his game. Needs to get up after scrambles faster but has improved everywhere since draft day.

He still looks like Jean Ralphio.
I am curious if that is taught, his initial problem when turning pro was a scramble back up uncontrolled. One of the things I noticed a lot in that highlight package is he takes away the bottom of the net with his size before then readjusting. This is something Bob does a lot when scrambling, make sure nothing beats you low you're big enough to do that and then regather. I guess we will see, I actually like the adjustment to taking away the bottom of the net a lot throughout that package and in the games I caught with GR, I gather they are working on it hard in his game.

Lil Sebastian is clearly very into the Parks and Rec themes, right down to his looks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

giphy.gif

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Dan Watson had an interview on Hockeytown West Podcast. I have not watched this before, but this was their 100th episode! Let's go boys...

This was posted earlier. The guy on the podcast asks with the first question who the starting goaltender will be for game 1. Watson answers without answering, seeming like it will be Cossa. I do not see how his answer would hint at Campbell.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It has been now one year of development under new goalie coach Roope Koistinen. And two summer training periods, when the new season will start.

Think the results of that development will really start coming out on next seasons. There isn't really instant impacts that comes from a goalie coach, it's always more of the long-term build.

I've reminded in other threads, that this Koistinen-hire for GR goalie coach could be Red Wings most impactful in latest years. What Koistinen did on short period at Kärpät juniors in Finland, resulted 5 NHL drafted goalies in a very short time (Annunen COL, Blomqvist PIT, Meriläinen OTT, Kokko SEA, Vedenpää SEA).

It was most NHL-drafted goalies from any single organization trough the world. That level of talent just won't happen at same place, it's all based on that development under Koistinen. He did put these guys to shine. He is an apprentice under another good goalie coach Ari Hilli, who did develop Pekka Rinne and Nicklas Bäckström to NHL, 2 decades ago just to mention few. But Koistinen is the guy who has worked with these young guys at junior levels before NHL draft. Since he left, Kärpät has had ZERO NHL-drafted kids.

That's why I think we could have future goalie factory at Grand Rapids. Cossa is in good hands, Augustine will be. Maybe they think they can turn careers around, like Campbell's, and take these flyers. Very interesting times ahead.

Also, when Griffins had coaching change for Watson, it did mean new defensive structure etc. Everybody returning to next season team are more familiar and starting point is different and probably easier than year ago.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I like Cossa , but please never trade up and get goaltender in the first round
Honestly, if the Red Wings are passionate about a player, I'm happy for them to trade up. I'd rather get a player we're confident in than just the guy that happens to be at the top of our board. I would agree that year was a bad year to trade up because I rated Wallstedt highly. But the Wings rated Cossa highly enough to make it worth it, apparently.

I am generally a "take a lot of flyers on goalies in the 2nd+ and use your firsts on skaters" kind of guy. It does look like goalie scouting has come a long way though and more of the best goalies are being identified. So I've been revising that stance a bit. Maybe Bench's mind control is just setting in. Regardless, I like Cossa. He wouldn't have been my pick, but that doesn't really matter anymore. We have every reason to believe that he can be a starting goaltender someday and I want one of those.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Honestly, if the Red Wings are passionate about a player, I'm happy for them to trade up. I'd rather get a player we're confident in than just the guy that happens to be at the top of our board. I would agree that year was a bad year to trade up because I rated Wallstedt highly. But the Wings rated Cossa highly enough to make it worth it, apparently.

I am generally a "take a lot of flyers on goalies in the 2nd+ and use your firsts on skaters" kind of guy. It does look like goalie scouting has come a long way though and more of the best goalies are being identified. So I've been revising that stance a bit. Maybe Bench's mind control is just setting in. Regardless, I like Cossa. He wouldn't have been my pick, but that doesn't really matter anymore. We have every reason to believe that he can be a starting goaltender someday and I want one of those.
No guarantee that Cossa will be starter , lately they're so many talks about Knight and Askarov been available. I am very happy with Augustine pick . Most importantly , because Goalie takes longer to develop there's always very good chance to get Lyon or undrafted goalie from Europe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad