OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Unless you take in account that Jones as the least amount of college reps at LT of the 3 and is young. Jones is 23 he will be the LT next season he might even get the job at the bye

They picked him 14OA. You don't pick people at 14OA because you hope they'll be ready 1 and a half years, two years, into the job. You can give some grace period to a raw guy with huge traits, but not that much as there's 100% guys going after him who are ready now.

So, if what's happened is this is all due to how raw he was and his progress from where he was drafted is acceptable given how raw he was, there was a drafting screw up.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Good AAV, slightly under what most were projecting. Nice job, Khan.

ezgif-5-dcb79d9029.gif

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nice on Muth

I’m a big PSU fan and went to school there so there’s some bias but IMO all the below is true

Allar drove me nuts last season
Allar was not good versus good teams. Quite terrible
Allar has tremendous pro potential

What was going wrong with him last season? I'm idly interested in what he might be.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Nice on Muth

What was going wrong with him last season? I'm idly interested in what he might be.
Game was too fast against NFL talent defenses in OSU and Michigan. He was combined 28/65 for 261 yards in those two games. Didn’t play well vs Ole Miss on Bowl game. Fair to question his processing but also fair to ask questions about OC competence and play calling though. Line play was poor. Ultimately though, while those things add context he simply was poor in those games across the board. Accuracy, processing were too varied and inconsistent.

He was a RS freshman and played well vs 10 other teams though. All the talent in the world and I mean that in a NFL QB way, not a Justin Fields way. Huge, agile, cannon arm, good release.

He is type where if the game slows down for him he could be really good. I believe this given his performances vs weaker teams where he looks simpler, cleaner and more confident.

The problem is, I think with QBs now… there’s no way he’s not a top 15 pick. Even if he doesn’t iron those issues out and enters the draft too early. No way his tools fall unless he’s horrendous this season which I don’t foresee.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Game was too fast against NFL talent defenses in OSU and Michigan. He was combined 28/65 for 261 yards in those two games. Didn’t play well vs Ole Miss on Bowl game. Fair to question his processing but also fair to ask questions about OC competence and play calling though. Line play was poor. Ultimately though, while those things add context he simply was poor in those games across the board.

He was a RS freshman and played well vs 10 other teams though. All the talent in the world and I mean that in a NFL QB way, not a Justin Fields way. Huge, agile, cannon arm, good release.
The Franlkin/Yurcich situation last year was the college version of Tomlin/Canada. This year will be very telling IMO.

-----------

Perfectly fair deal for Muth. Now throw him the ball!

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The Franlkin/Yurcich situation last year was the college version of Tomlin/Canada. This year will be very telling IMO.
I’m typically a pessimist when it comes to Franklin but I think he made a good hire this time.

New offense honestly may cover up some issues to the NFL that Allar has. Which as a PSU fan, good. May make his NFL eval harder though.

Even if he’s kinda mid like last year, I do think he’s a top 5 pick like Herbert was. Pre draft discourse on Herbert was similar. I have no idea if Allar will be good in the NFL but I do think he has upside. Can’t see him getting out of the top half of the first round at the worst.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Just watching Ravens-Chiefs, the Steelers are getting ready to set offensive football back a few decades…the discrepancy is going to be huge lol
and as every team's de is being set to for the changes, it just might work.:dunno:
edit; if they do it well.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I’m typically a pessimist when it comes to Franklin but I think he made a good hire this time.

New offense honestly may cover up some issues to the NFL that Allar has. Which as a PSU fan, good. May make his NFL eval harder though.

Even if he’s kinda mid like last year, I do think he’s a top 5 pick like Herbert was. Pre draft discourse on Herbert was similar. I have no idea if Allar will be good in the NFL but I do think he has upside. Can’t see him getting out of the top half of the first round at the worst.
The similarities between Franklin and Tomlin are stark. Eerily so IMO. I think both made good hires at OC. Neither are going to revolutionize the game, but they know what they are doing IMO.

I guess it's possible, but I'd be surprised to see Allar go top 5 unless he lights it up this year. Certainly has the size and tools.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Game was too fast against NFL talent defenses in OSU and Michigan. He was combined 28/65 for 261 yards in those two games. Didn’t play well vs Ole Miss on Bowl game. Fair to question his processing but also fair to ask questions about OC competence and play calling though. Line play was poor. Ultimately though, while those things add context he simply was poor in those games across the board. Accuracy, processing were too varied and inconsistent.

He is type where if the game slows down for him he could be really good. I believe this given his performances vs weaker teams where he looks simpler, cleaner and more confident.

The problem is, I think with QBs now… there’s no way he’s not a top 15 pick. Even if he doesn’t iron those issues out and enters the draft too early. No way his tools fall unless he’s horrendous this season which I don’t foresee.
And all Andy did was go from 45 percent motion to 65. He also changed the Beau running tendencies
The game against Ohio State he didn’t have walkace

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
About what I thought Muth would get. He needs to have 80 catches and 1000 this year. He's capable. Get him the ball.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Without any solid history of how future NFL QBs go in their first taste of the big games, I feel like getting overwhelmed the first time you hit really talented defences at that age and level is fine. Question is whether you see a big jump in the guy once he's got his feet wet.

As for where he goes... well, right now it feels like he's somewhere between QB 5 and 10. I'm not expecting QB5 to go top 15 most drafts. I feel like he needs to keep improving to be top 15. I think there's decent evidence for big tool guys whose between the ears stuff scares NFL evaluators to go later. A decent way to pose this question is what about his tools separates him from Will Levis?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm convinced Big daddy is a member of the Steelers' PR department. It's the only way his posts make any sense. Defense of Tomlin is non stop

Cool dude Tomlin doesn't pay bigdaddyk88 enough.
The real money is in future yinzer children's book about how cool, cool dude Tomlin really is? Or where does he get his cool sunglasses? And why is he sooo coooollll?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad