Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner -- Bought Out 6/29/24

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
As good as Skinner has been, I think they still buy him out after the 23/24 season. If they want to lock down Dahlin for 8 seasons (12million?) and Power for 8 seasons (8.5 or 9 million?) they will have to move on. You replace Skinner with Kulich and/or Rosen, it's the only way. With Savoie/Kulich/Rosen/Ostlund on cheap contracts you can survive the 1st three of the six buyout seasons just fine.
If he's still producing next year, they'll keep him until at least 2025. According to the CapFriendly buyout calculator, they save 4-4.5M in 25-26 and only 2.5-3M in 26-27 if they buy him out.

Unless his production drops below 20G or he gets pushed out of the lineup by superior talent from the next wave, they won't buy him out. The savings just aren't that big and we probably won't be that close to the limit.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
It depends. We save 7.5 million the first year of a buyout if we do it after 23/24. Depending how we dip into UFA this coming off season, that savings may mean a hell of a lot.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
It depends. We save 7.5 million the first year of a buyout if we do it after 23/24. Depending how we dip into UFA this coming off season, that savings may mean a hell of a lot.
Yes. But you'd think that if they're spending to the cap on UFAs in 24-25 that those contracts would extend through 27. And the buyout cap hit goes up in 25-26 and 26-27. If we're against the cap, we'd have to find a few million elsewhere for those years.

If he's shot, then you buy him out. But I think it's a limited set of scenarios where buying out a somewhat productive Skinner can be a difference-maker. There aren't any signs of him tailing off. If I'm cap-planning, I'm expecting him here until 2026 at least.

Reactions: Chainshot

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
So my caveat is only 2-year contracts for UFAs this coming offseason. Between the cap jumping up and the Skinner buyout there is no issue then.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Skinner has gotta switch his goal song to the Cardi B version of “Last Christmas” and dedicate it to the refs. I can’t post it here because it’s highly inappropriate, it’d also make very little sense, but goddamn would it be funny.

“This year, I’m.. something.. your dad, and also your cousin.”

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
Skinner has gotta switch his goal song to the Cardi B version of “Last Christmas” and dedicate it to the refs. I can’t post it here because it’s highly inappropriate, it’d also make very little sense, but goddamn would it be funny.

“This year, I’m.. something.. your dad, and also your cousin.”
Where is the puke emoji reply when you need it?

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Hard to see them buying out Skinner at the moment. He’s producing at over a point per game and projecting at scoring 30-40 goals. That’s in the ballpark of his annual cap hit. And if they got rid of him, how much would we pay I replace that? How much do you risk replacing him with someone that ends up underperforming.

I suspect they look at the buyout on a season by season basis and this year it’d be an easy “no”.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
A buyout is not happening. With Thompsons steal of a deal, spending 52-53 mil on Thompson, Cozens, Skinner, Tuch, Power , Samuelsson and Dahlin is fine with cap management.

Only in Buffalo would we be talking about freaking cap space for a guy well over a ppg and only 30. :shakehead

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Hard to see them buying out Skinner at the moment. He’s producing at over a point per game and projecting at scoring 30-40 goals. That’s in the ballpark of his annual cap hit. And if they got rid of him, how much would we pay I replace that? How much do you risk replacing him with someone that ends up underperforming.

I suspect they look at the buyout on a season by season basis and this year it’d be an easy “no”.
I wonder if his trade value has risen from negative to almost even, where before you'd have to package 1st rounders with him to get him out of here. Maybe now he can be traded for a bag of pucks.

Not that I want him out of here right now. That top line is so fire.

But what if in the off-season, we could sign a younger/better top line forward to the same deal? Maybe we could trade Skins.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
A buy out could happen lol. If his production drops next season or the season after. I agree you don't buy him out if he is giving you 40 goals and 35 assists. If he drops to 30/30 that simply isn't good enough for the top line. The option should be on the table and we have a crapload of blue chip forwards to ice. Here's hoping he stays PPG his entire contract. But who knows if he will

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'm not saying Skinner is going to go full Moulson. Maybe half Moulson. I'm just saying the possibility of age catching up to him and his level of play dropping means a buyout is an option if it comes to that. Youve got 6 forward prospects on ELCs and first time RFA deals for maybe a few years running coming up. The buyout penalties are absorbable. If it comes to that. Let's hope it doesnt

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
This topic should be put into a half-Moulson, tossed out of the ring and hit over the back with a folding chair, followed by a suplex onto the bare concrete.

Necrobump this thread in 2025.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Skinner has been great for us more often then not and the not was under Kruger. We just had a guy develop into a high end playmaker at 30. While still popping in goals, drawing penalties and wreaking havoc at ES.

I am glad he is here and it's nice having a 30 goal legit top line winger here long term. I predict he will get 110-125 goals in the second half of the deal.

Or you could look at it this way..3 of his 5 years here he either matched or broke his career high in points.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Skinner's overpaid, but he's still valuable to the team. There's zero doubt in my mind he's a leader in that locker-room. He's fiesty on the ice, jumps in a scrum to back up his teammates, and has a really fun energy about him.

Obviously, he's a really, really good player offensively. The defensive side is still lacking, and likely always will be. He also makes some boneheaded decisions with the puck on his stick.

Overall, as long as we have a boatload of cap space, then Im happy to have him on the team!

Zippy Chippy

Apr 6, 2015
Skinner's overpaid, but he's still valuable to the team. There's zero doubt in my mind he's a leader in that locker-room. He's fiesty on the ice, jumps in a scrum to back up his teammates, and has a really fun energy about him.

Obviously, he's a really, really good player offensively. The defensive side is still lacking, and likely always will be. He also makes some boneheaded decisions with the puck on his stick.

Overall, as long as we have a boatload of cap space, then Im happy to have him on the team!

I've felt the same over the last two seasons, for the reasons you mentioned. Wonder if we ever see him get an 'A' on his chest.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I’d argue he is the only “bad value” contract on the team. And given that he’s a PPG player that is overpaid by 2-3 million, that’s amazing.

Fun player to root for

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Okay, so all this buyout conversation is nonsense. He deserves to stay as long as we get new episodes of "Between two stalls". I have watched them a few times, and laugh every time.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I've felt the same over the last two seasons, for the reasons you mentioned. Wonder if we ever see him get an 'A' on his chest.

“The A is for asshole, you watch yourself bud.”

No clue what Skinner actually says out there, but this immediately pops into my head. Give the dude all the chirp prompts possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad