Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner -- Bought Out 6/29/24

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Not a SINGLE 40 goal scorer is signing for 6 million and definitely not 5 years. He was getting 7+ no question. Did we Overpay a few mil? Yep. Is Skinner the best goal scorer we have had in 10 years? Yep.
William Karlsson signed for $5.9x8 in his last year of RFA. He played the prior season on a 1 year RFA deal for $5.25. So if you subtract another $5.25 RFA season from the total $47.2 x 8 contract you get $5.99aav for the 7 UFA years of the contract. Karlsson's situation is not a great comparison to Skinner, but it's certainly closer than Panarin or Stone.
Right. Thats my point...
Despite the mental gymnastics many have gone through to justify the contract as ok/fine or even good, it actually is a disaster. That's the point I've been making.

At this stage I do agree that there's no point in continuing the conversation.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
1663342991948.png

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Despite the mental gymnastics many have gone through to justify the contract as ok/fine or even good, it actually is a disaster. That's the point I've been making.

Could you find me a poster that said this is a 'good contract' ?

besides Jeff Skinner, his family and agent

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
William Karlsson signed for $5.9x8 in his last year of RFA. He played the prior season on a 1 year RFA deal for $5.25. So if you subtract another $5.25 RFA season from the total $47.2 x 8 contract you get $5.99aav for the 7 UFA years of the contract. Karlsson's situation is not a great comparison to Skinner, but it's certainly closer than Panarin or Stone.

Skinner had 7 seasons where he scored 20+ goals, and arguably two more where he would have (13 in 42 in the lockout year, 18 in 77 where he got injured) before his big contract.

Karlsson has had 2 seasons of 20+ before his extension. I’ll even say that he would have hit that mark 2/3 seasons had he played a full season, but those would be under his latest contract.

Skinner got paid for his track record, which also placed him in the Top-10 LEAGUEWIDE for most 5v5 goals over that period. And now that he’s fully recovered from his high ankle injury he suffered during that season he scored 40, he’s getting back to being closer to the net.

Reactions: Dingo44

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Back to the front page!!!

If we were in a bidding war for Skinner and 9 million was winner winner chicken dinner, so be it. If we had to pay 1 million more to have him choose us over another team, so be it.

Its an overpay because Toronto couldn't afford him and he only wanted to play for two teams. Talking about goals and stuff is fine but revisionist. The beef was always bidding against ourselves.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Back to the front page!!!

If we were in a bidding war for Skinner and 9 million was winner winner chicken dinner, so be it. If we had to pay 1 million more to have him choose us over another team, so be it.

Its an overpay because Toronto couldn't afford him and he only wanted to play for two teams. Talking about goals and stuff is fine but revisionist. The beef was always bidding against ourselves.
Then it's weird. If he only wanted to play for Toronto or Buffalo and Toronto didn't have the money for him, why the heck then 9 million? Someone clearly did not know how to negotiate a contract. Skinner has always been a relatively consistent player, but everyone knew he didn't play defense or physical game, his target was to score 25-30 goals in a season and score about 60 points, it's not worth 9 million, even in Buffalo or Arizona.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Totally happy with a 20-35/40-60/65 type stat line from Skinner. Even without the goals he is making elite passes and goal scoring creation. So happy he is back to being a true top 6 forward again.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Jeff Skinner has earned his contract in years 3 and 4 (ongoing). I never knew that Skinner was as great of a passer as he is. Sucks the first 2 years of his deal were atrocious but he has went above and beyond last and this season. Matching his career high in points and now on pace to obliterate it this year. Bravo Jeff.

45-49-94 in his last 106 games. You aren't getting that in UFA for 5 or 6 mil per.

Last edited:
Reactions: jd1970 and DustyZ

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
If you get Skinner into a defined role, and let him play his game, you get results like this. He's playing on the same line, up in the line up and he's free to be who he is. His defensive game is much more active too. You just see him loose and free. No issues with Jeff SKinner, just continue pressuring on the forecheck Jeff.

Reactions: Faceboner

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Jeff Skinner has earned his contract in years 3 and 4 (ongoing). I never knew that Skinner was as great of a passer as he is. Sucks the first 2 years of his deal were atrocious but he has went above and beyond last and this season. Matching his career high in points and now on pace to obliterate it this year. Bravo Jeff.

45-49-94 in his last 106 games. You aren't getting that in UFA for 5 or 6 mil per.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Krueger is the woat but if you look at Huttons performance it's pretty clear why we didn't make it to the bubble (we were only a couple of points out in the end I think?). The up and down correlates with Hutton playing post december.

Sad since we would have won the stanley cup since the playoffs were played in our lucky month.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Skinner's A/GP & Pts/GP are off the charts for his career.

0.73 A/GP compared to 0.30 A/GP for his career.

And he's at 1.19 P/GP compared to 0.65 Pts/GP for his career.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Krueger is the woat but if you look at Huttons performance it's pretty clear why we didn't make it to the bubble (we were only a couple of points out in the end I think?). The up and down correlates with Hutton playing post december.

Sad since we would have won the stanley cup since the playoffs were played in our lucky month.

Just frustrating we had Montreal the night they shut down the season and then Montreal had such success in the bubble.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Its amazing looking back at a lot of the bad decisons he made. But one of my favorites from his last season was having Asplund, Tage, Mitts and Cozens available and hardly playing them. All to ensure Rieder, Sheahan and Eakin never came out of the lineup when healthy. Its also why Skinner had to come out so Mitts could play.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Skinner's A/GP & Pts/GP are off the charts for his career.

0.73 A/GP compared to 0.30 A/GP for his career.

And he's at 1.19 P/GP compared to 0.65 Pts/GP for his career.

Skinner has been controlled chaos as is his norm. The difference right now is that Thompson is creating goals seemingly at will. Get him the puck and he's doing magical things with it. Skinner and Tuch are getting a nice boost to their production out of how that is happening. It also doesn't hurt that both of them mesh well with Tage and one another.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just frustrating we had Montreal the night they shut down the season and then Montreal had such success in the bubble.

Just a couple of wins out of their backups and at least the playoff streak would've been dead and buried.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Skinner has been controlled chaos as is his norm. The difference right now is that Thompson is creating goals seemingly at will. Get him the puck and he's doing magical things with it. Skinner and Tuch are getting a nice boost to their production out of how that is happening. It also doesn't hurt that both of them mesh well with Tage and one another.
Chemistry matters! Get the right mix of skills and personalities on a line and it works. Then don't F*ck with it!

I have always liked Jeff, mostly because I see what he is and don't expect something different from him. Jeff proved he could be an important piece and score 40 goals when he has the skillsets of Eichel and Reinhart on his line. They paid him for it........

And then they took away Eichel and Reinhart and expected him to produce the same. Crazy. Jeff himself talked about how he benefits from having a player like Eichel drawing defenders attention, creating alittle space for Jeff to slip into those scoring spots ready to take feeds from Jack and Rhino.

Now? He has been given back the same set of skills on the line with Tuch and Tage. Jeff is not a line driver, but he is a line booster, bringing up the productivity of the entire line when attached to the right linemates.

Now.....don't F*ck with it!

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

first 2 years were under Ralphus. Nobody but Eichel looked good under Ralphus

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wouldn’t have been worth it if it meant we were saddled with Krueger any longer, though.

Yeah, it does leave one wondering that if that had happened, do they then never discover what they have in Tage? Cozens? It's possible Eichel is still here and there is no Tuch, just the still flawed core of the previous build still trying to figure it all out. They had to burn most of it away. It's lucky in a way that Skinner is such an irrepressible personality that he's one of the few holdovers and he's still finding ways to use his chaos for good rather than evil. Kind of wild that they are getting such production out of year four vs. years one and two (combined) and that is the malice of Kreuger's time as coach.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
As good as Skinner has been, I think they still buy him out after the 23/24 season. If they want to lock down Dahlin for 8 seasons (12million?) and Power for 8 seasons (8.5 or 9 million?) they will have to move on. You replace Skinner with Kulich and/or Rosen, it's the only way. With Savoie/Kulich/Rosen/Ostlund on cheap contracts you can survive the 1st three of the six buyout seasons just fine.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
As good as Skinner has been, I think they still buy him out after the 23/24 season. If they want to lock down Dahlin for 8 seasons (12million?) and Power for 8 seasons (8.5 or 9 million?) they will have to move on. You replace Skinner with Kulich and/or Rosen, it's the only way. With Savoie/Kulich/Rosen/Ostlund on cheap contracts you can survive the 1st three of the six buyout seasons just fine.

Why is Power getting 9 million in two years?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Dahlin signed for 3 seasons for 6
If you want Power for 8 seasons it's gonna cost more than 6. With the cap going up 8+ sounds about right.
I get Power is on the 2nd pair but he is going to expect 1D money and he is worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad