Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner -- Bought Out 6/29/24

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
You compared Skinner's scenario to O'Reilly, and the two situations are much different. Yes, players/teams can want to drop each other...you never know. I don't see indicators of that, not to the point that a NMC should matter as much as some posters here worry about. Let's both agree to drop it.

I compared a recently acquired player being resigned to a long term deal with another. I never brought in or even suggested anything to do with personality types real or imagined.

NMC matters if things change. Things change all the time. The bolded is not what you said/suggested in your original post.

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
Generally if things go bad enough that a team wants to part with a player then a player doesn't want to stay in that environment anyways. It only matters what we get in return for said player and considering we didn't give up anything serious to get him here, I don't expect much in return if he sucks. The cap hit is more of an issue than his NMC.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
HockeyBuzz.com - Peter Tessier - Should the Skinner deal make Jets fans nervous?

Interesting article by the Jets hockeybuzz writer.

So Skinner receives 9 million a year for the next 8 years. Skinner's deal is a bit weird in that the salaries and signing bonuses are a bit odd but only to deal with the impending labour battle between the NHL and NHLPA. Next season Skinner receives a 7.5m bonus and 2.5m in salary and the same concluding after the 21-22 season when the collective bargaining agreement expires.

Within 3 years Skinner will have earned 37.5m total of the 72m. Not bad.

This is the list of players who have scored 120 more goals from 2015-16 to the end of 2018-19 by the age of 27.

Here is the list for players scoring 200 or more goals since 2010-11 by age 27. Notice an old Jets friend?

Skinner is an elite scorer and there's not question about it. When you update that benchmark to 240 the list is four players. Stamkos, Seguin, Skinner and Tavares. Now look at their salaries.

So where do guys like Laine and Connor fit into all of this?.....
......It's safe to say that they are not Jeff Skinner yet and Skinner has played on teams far worse than what the Winnipeg Jets have been the past 3 seasons.

Edit - here’s another article with positive takes on the skinner deal.

HockeyBuzz.com - HockeyBuzz Hotstove - Thoughts on Jeff Skinner's lucrative extension with the Buffalo Sabres?

Last edited:

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If this was true then why is Crosby the "head and shoulders" best player in the league (or was at least) over Ovechkin? I agree with you btw though.

Do they have the same number of points? One goal is better than one assist. I’m not sure one goal is better than 2 assists.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Congrats to Skinner! I was hoping for an 8.5 x 8 deal but figured it might get this high. My letter to Skinner:

Dear Jeff,

Congrats on becoming a Buffalonian and future long time Sabre. I wish you much success and health here, hopefully until the end of your long career.

Best Regards,
Hellinator

P.S. If you go out to celebrate your huge contract, please stay away from Tim Hortons or take an Uber. Thanks!

Oh and don't punch a cab driver or fight in Buffalo bars. Did I cover everything?
Make sure the Uber driver isn't recording.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1560049390146.jpg

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Someone start giving Skinner different materials in his gear. If he starts now, he can develop that "allergy" to his equipment before the end of the contract.

Or does that "allergy" come on immediately? I forget...

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I love this deal for both sides. 9 million is totally fair. Skinny's elite skating, his hockey IQ, his opportunistic willingness to go to the net and look for rebounds, his grit and leadership... He's going to age like a fine wine, especially playing on Eich's wing. This is a huge piece we just locked up boys. We shouldn't be anything less than thrilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad