Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner -- Bought Out 6/29/24

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If this was true then why is Crosby the "head and shoulders" best player in the league (or was at least) over Ovechkin? I agree with you btw though.

Because Crosby was not only a high goal scorer...but a high assist player who drove play and can/could not only create for himself but others

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
No matter how you cut it or slice it, this is a fantastic signing for the Sabres.

9 mil AAV for 8 seasons.
Skinner's figure skating acumen and speed figure to keep him very viable at least 6 most likely all 8 years of this contract.
He is ranked 5th in ES scoring in the past 5 seasons, YES PLEASE!!!
Just connected with Jack AND...…...made some dandy plays on his own!!!!
Yes the concussion history is cause for some concern, but with each day the review mirror looks a little better on that front. Besides, teams are going to play heavy against him, they did last season and he still potted 40.
Barring a lockout, this signing looks to be 10% cap at the half way mark. Very nice indeed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
27 goal avg per season
49 point avg per season
0.65 ppg avg

9 mill AAV for 8 years.....

giphy.gif

When do GM's understand not to pay big bucks from just 1 single great season....
blame the current markets, agents, who ever but...don't the GM's have the final say so????

So for about the ninth time, his 5-on-5 goal scoring is top five in the NHL in the last four or five seasons. Teams pay for that.

RR10

Jul 2, 2018
This guy had 24 goals and 49 points last season playing 82 games. Aren't you afraid that the 40 goals were a fluke?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This guy had 24 goals and 49 points last season playing 82 games. Aren't you afraid that the 40 goals were a fluke?
No, because he played in another team in the third link with not very strong centers, and now he plays in the first link with an elite center.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
And he had 37 goals the season before that, so...

He’s scored over 30 goals in 4 of his 9 seasons, and came 2 goals from making it 5 of 9 (scoring 28 in ‘15/‘16).

One thing that Skinner has proven is that he is a pretty consistent goal scorer.

I don’t expect him to score 40 every year. But I do think he can hit 40 (or more) again for sure.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I wouldn’t touch the main boards with a ten foot pole right now. A lot of people dumping on the contract because it’s Buffalo.

The thing I don’t get, I hear a lot of complaints about how Buffalo is messing up the market, but is this deal not comparable to the standard that Mark Stone set? I know Stone has 10 more points this year, but generally speaking, skinner and stone have similar career statistics :dunno:

I think the general view is that Stone is a lot better defensively, and that Skinner is injury prone.

A lot of people remember the concussion issues Skinner had early in his career and seem to think that means he's injured all the time. Kinda funny for a guy that's missed a total of 3 games in the last 4 seasons combined.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I think the general view is that Stone is a lot better defensively, and that Skinner is injury prone.

A lot of people remember the concussion issues Skinner had early in his career and seem to think that means he's injured all the time. Kinda funny for a guy that's missed a total of 3 games in the last 4 seasons combined.

Its also why people believe he is only a 50-55pt player.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
Because Crosby was not only a high goal scorer...but a high assist player who drove play and can/could not only create for himself but others
True, but OV is one of the best ever pure goal scorers. Crosby is good at it. Nothing really special there. Its more the crazy assist numbers he puts up (which OV isn't even in the same league there so point taken). Anyways, getting off topic

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Nope. I think the 24 was more of a fluke than the 40. He's hit 30+ 4 times. Plus, he's likely going to be playing with Jack and/or Sam for the foreseeable future -- both of whom are markedly better than most anything he played with in Carolina.

I think 30 goals (or so) for the first 5/6 years of this contract are to be expected.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
If other players start cleaning up his rebounds more often, he'll pick up some extra points lol
He's not a great passer at all, and I chuckle whenever his instinctive shot turns into an assist

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
Congrats to Skinner! I was hoping for an 8.5 x 8 deal but figured it might get this high. My letter to Skinner:

Dear Jeff,

Congrats on becoming a Buffalonian and future long time Sabre. I wish you much success and health here, hopefully until the end of your long career.

Best Regards,
Hellinator

P.S. If you go out to celebrate your huge contract, please stay away from Tim Hortons or take an Uber. Thanks!

Oh and don't punch a cab driver or fight in Buffalo bars. Did I cover everything?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
If this organization wants to be competitive, its talent evaluation (in draft, trade, and FA) was going to have to improve substantially regardless of whether or not Skinner signed.

Draft well and this contract won't matter.
The success of this deal should not be tied 100% to the team success.

If Skinner has some more 40 goal seasons, but they can't build more talent around him (and Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart. No, Not Tage, Botts), then that does not mean this deal was a failure, it means other moves were a failure.

I think so many are poo-pooing this deal already because they have no confidence in Botts and are already expecting to not make the playoffs or have success in them. And somehow that would be an indictment of Skinner or this deal, even if he produces at an elite level. The first part is understandable, the second is not.

Reactions: Hellinator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad