Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner -- Bought Out 6/29/24

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
The nature of this contract meant that both team and player were going "all-in" on each other. So whether there was a NMC or not, the Sabres are committing to Skinner as a long-term scoring winger and piece to a Cup contending roster. Why would they want to trade him? The only reason is because he falls off a cliff, gets injured, etc. In that case he's negative value and trading him is a @#$% sandwich anyway, so why should Buffalo or fans care so much about the NMC? Bottom line is that Buffalo won't want to trade him, and if they do it's a crap scenario no matter how you slice it (keeping him or trading him).

The deal is fair for what's going on around the league with the cap, and the NMC is of little concern.

I would have been surprised if Skinner didn't get a NMC considering the situation Buffalo was in.

However suggesting that things can't change between a player and the team at some point for reasons other than injury, bad play (falling off a cliff) is incredibly short sighted considering the trade that just happened last offseason.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
You're right.

The point I was trying to make is - i would be OK with the dollars if the contract wasn't so long or didn't include the NMC.

But since the contract was always going to include those things then 9m was always going to be too much.

One other point - there's a difference between full NMC which he got & NTC which he had before. That might have a big impact in the last year's of the deal..
Pretty sure Skinner had a full NMC.

I remember Carolina fans talking about it.

That’s why we got him so cheap from Carolina. He was only willing to go to Toronto or buffalo.

Edit - checked CapFriendly. It shows a full N!C in the last 2 years of his Carolina deal.
Jeff Skinner - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I would have been surprised if Skinner didn't get a NMC considering the situation Buffalo was in.

However suggesting that things can't change between a player and the team at some point for reasons other than injury, bad play (falling off a cliff) is incredibly short sighted considering the trade that just happened last offseason.

Why wouldnt a player demand a NMC? If I'm committing myself for the next 8yrs to work for your organization, and move to your city, with my family (I know Skinner isn't married...), I certainly want some assurance you're not going to flip me to some other city/team on the other side of the continent w/ who knows how many years of service remaining w/o any input from me.

Reactions: Baccus

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I guess if I ever see Skinner moping around and getting over-frustrated, lamenting to the press and having off-ice problems, I'll start to worry that the different circumstances between these two contracts, players, and GMs involved might not matter.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I guess if I ever see Skinner moping around and getting over-frustrated, lamenting to the press and having off-ice problems, I'll start to worry that the different circumstances between these two contracts, players, and GMs involved might not matter.
Don't talk to Hurricanes fans then!

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The nature of this contract meant that both team and player were going "all-in" on each other. So whether there was a NMC or not, the Sabres are committing to Skinner as a long-term scoring winger and piece to a Cup contending roster. Why would they want to trade him? The only reason is because he falls off a cliff, gets injured, etc. In that case he's negative value and trading him is a @#$% sandwich anyway, so why should Buffalo or fans care so much about the NMC? Bottom line is that Buffalo won't want to trade him, and if they do it's a crap scenario no matter how you slice it (keeping him or trading him).

The deal is fair for what's going on around the league with the cap, and the NMC is of little concern.

This really nails it.

NMCs haven't been nearly that important since they changed the rules on buried contracts, and are clearly not ironclad. It simply gives the player additional leverage to chose where he goes should the time come that they have to part ways.

Reactions: Hellinator

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
My question is, how much does Reinhart get now or is goals weighted more than total points?

60 point wingers making 9 mill means we could be paying all kids 10.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Why wouldnt a player demand a NMC? If I'm committing myself for the next 8yrs to work for your organization, and move to your city, with my family (I know Skinner isn't married...), I certainly want some assurance you're not going to flip me to some other city/team on the other side of the continent w/ who knows how many years of service remaining w/o any input from me.

exactly. For the player it's all a plus. For the team it has no benefit (other than a way to convince a player to sign).

Why am I not surprised you framed it this way? Because no other player and NHL team have signed a long term deal and then the team decided to move on after a year or two....:facepalm:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The team seems to be pleased with the deal. I saw a few Sabres players comment on the Instagram post showing happiness.

Still not a fan of the deal, and the NMC is stupid as hell. Was that really going to be the difference between signing and not signing a 72 million dollar contract? Skinner is the chicken winner of this negotiation.

Anyways, I get we had to retain him, and I am glad he'll be here for the foreseeable future. Who knows? I may be dead before this deal ends so maybe it ain't that bad after all.

Almost no contract of this size is getting done without a NMC, at least in the current state of affairs. Top tier players clearly want that control, and they're getting it.

I do fully expect the league to try and start to limit NMC/NTCs in some way in the next CBA though. They don't like having to give them out, and will want to rein them in somehow.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
exactly. For the player it's all a plus. For the team it has no benefit (other than a way to convince a player to sign).

Why am I not surprised you framed it this way? Because no other player and NHL team have signed a long term deal and then the team decided to move on after a year or two....:facepalm:

You compared Skinner's scenario to O'Reilly, and the two situations are much different. Yes, players/teams can want to drop each other...you never know. I don't see indicators of that, not to the point that a NMC should matter as much as some posters here worry about. Let's both agree to drop it.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
You know ... this thread is actually tame compared to what I was expecting.

Maybe my expectations were off kilter.

Btw, happy it’s done in whatever form but now I’m impatiently waiting for the next move.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
27 goal avg per season
49 point avg per season
0.65 ppg avg

9 mill AAV for 8 years.....

giphy.gif

When do GM's understand not to pay big bucks from just 1 single great season....
blame the current markets, agents, who ever but...don't the GM's have the final say so????

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Goals are more valuable than assists. How is this debatable? There's significantly more assists in a season than goals.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
27 goal avg per season
49 point avg per season
0.65 ppg avg

9 mill AAV for 8 years.....

giphy.gif

When do GM's understand not to pay big bucks from just 1 single great season....
blame the current markets, agents, who ever but...don't the GM's have the final say so????

Oh look, a Leafs fan. You should go post that on the main thread. Oh wait, you did! Stay there please.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I wouldn’t touch the main boards with a ten foot pole right now. A lot of people dumping on the contract because it’s Buffalo.

The thing I don’t get, I hear a lot of complaints about how Buffalo is messing up the market, but is this deal not comparable to the standard that Mark Stone set? I know Stone has 10 more points this year, but generally speaking, skinner and stone have similar career statistics :dunno:

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wouldn’t touch the main boards with a ten foot pole right now. A lot of people dumping on the contract because it’s Buffalo.

The thing I don’t get, I hear a lot of complaints about how Buffalo is messing up the market, but is this deal not comparable to the standard that Mark Stone set? I know Stone has 10 more points this year, but generally speaking, skinner and stone have similar career statistics :dunno:
We are on Oilers level now. Anything remotely questionable gets dumped on until proven otherwise. Can't say the Sabres didn't earn it, really.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
Goals are more valuable than assists. How is this debatable? There's significantly more assists in a season than goals.
If this was true then why is Crosby the "head and shoulders" best player in the league (or was at least) over Ovechkin? I agree with you btw though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad