Sportsnet: Jeff Marek: Holland looking to move 1st or top prospects for LD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What I want to know is how the Oilers are going to be able to afford to get a decent LD in the near future (and they really do need one in the near future) at just the cost of picks or prospects?

Right now they exceed the $81.5M cap limit by $7,106,636 which is allowable because of the $$8,583,769 they have in the LTIR pool. That leaves $1,075,000 left in LTIR space to use.
How on earth do you find a decent LD for $1.075M?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What I want to know is how the Oilers are going to be able to afford to get a decent LD in the near future (and they really do need one in the near future) at just the cost of picks or prospects?

Right now they exceed the $81.5M cap limit by $7,106,636 which is allowable because of the $$8,583,769 they have in the LTIR pool. That leaves $1,075,000 left in LTIR space to use.

and then what happens when Smith returns

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I read in several comments the Chychrun exchange proposal.
That would be a good reinforcement for Edmonton.
This would be a very costly reinforcement for Edmonton.
There are very few defenders of this level available for exchange in the NHL.

If anyone from Edmonton thinks this is not the case, Detroit can help.
Nick Leddy LD (@ 50% ret)! This is the protector of your dreams
Detroit agrees to receive 1st 2022. :rolleyes:;):)

If Arizona decides to trade a player with a paycheck, there will be huge interest. This will be an auction.
Edmonton has reasons to be involved. The team is a contender for the Stanley Cup in the coming years. What will happen next is unknown (Leon Draisaitl UFA 2025).

To have a chance to win an auction, you need to make a good bid.
Jakob Chychrun LD AAV $ 2.3M (@ 50% ret) = Holloway + Broberg + 1st 2022.
Possible additions on both sides.

Does Arizona need a player exchange? I think yes.
Will the cost suit Arizona? I do not know.
Does Edmonton need a player exchange? I think yes.
Will the cost suit Edmonton? I do not know.
I will watch this with interest. :popcorn:
Cant see the Coyotes retaining on Chychrun (not that I believe he is even available - likely the only untouchable on the roster - not including their 2022 and 2023 1st round picks)

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He’s a workhorse. A guy you win with in the playoffs. And yes, plays a mean game. Frustrates me at times because I find he gets a little tooo focused on moving guys out in front of the net and seems to have a lot of deflections go off of him. as a result of him not boxing out and watching the puck.
Habs fans like him and we would probably resign him. The trouble is we are developing a bit of a logjam on the LD position with Edmundson, Romanov , Norlinder, Guhle and maybe Harris next year
If he's as valuable as you guys are making him out to be then keeping him at the expense of a Joel Emundson should be non issue considering Norlinder, Guhle, and Harris don't even have 5 NHL games combined.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There were lots of rumors circulating early this season that Oilers were targeting guys like Gibson, Fowler, Lindhol,, Manson, Rakell etc from Anaheim. They have a lot of what Edmonton needs.

however with how Anaheim's season is going, I doubt they are sellers and will probably want to get into the playoffs to give the youth the experience and taste of playoff hockey
I never want to see lindholm in an oilers jersey

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Holland is a moron, this is just another indicator of how out of touch he is. If he waits until the deadline there's going to be top flight defencemen available that will require a 1st round pick to land and the teams trading them will be willing to eat cap if they are out of the playoff mix. Who's out of the mix now and going to eat any contract? He's going to end up with some underwhelming return for that first round pick if he moves it now, a guy like Travis Dermott who's cheap, available and probably not worth it or some scrub like Chariot who definitely is not worth it. If he waits, maybe he can get somebody like Giordano.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If he's as valuable as you guys are making him out to be then keeping him at the expense of a Joel Emundson should be non issue considering Norlinder, Guhle, and Harris don't even have 5 NHL games combined.

Edmundson has proven chemistry with petry and a contract that goes passed this season. If we trade chiarot we can easily do max retention because he is UFA, but we're much less likely to retain for multiple years. Guhle, norlinder, and Harris don't have much experience but they are all competing for one spot behind eddy and Romanov.

Complain all you want about the price, someone will pay it.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Chiarot at 50% = 1.75M

For

1st + Turris = 1.65M

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Holland is a moron, this is just another indicator of how out of touch he is. If he waits until the deadline there's going to be top flight defencemen available that will require a 1st round pick to land and the teams trading them will be willing to eat cap if they are out of the playoff mix. Who's out of the mix now and going to eat any contract? He's going to end up with some underwhelming return for that first round pick if he moves it now, a guy like Travis Dermott who's cheap, available and probably not worth it or some scrub like Chariot who definitely is not worth it. If he waits, maybe he can get somebody like Giordano.

Because if we wait until the deadline, the issue isn’t nearly as pressing. Our 4 best LD are all out injured at the moment. Broberg looks good, and Russell is fine as a #6/7, but we still need help in the interim. That guy we bring in playing on the 3rd pairing going forward to push 4K/Russell down is just gravy

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Chiarot at 50% = 1.75M

For

1st + Turris = 1.65M

I proposed this in the first couple pages, one ouler fan liked the deal no one else has really replied other than simply saying no way Chiarot gets a 1st.

Even if in a vacuum he isn't worth a first he likely gets 1 because we don't live in a vacuum. GM's watched him play over 25 minutes a game on the way to a cup final and be a nasty SOB playing incredibly hard minutes.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Habs could also retain 50% which creates more wiggle room to add other guys at the deadline. Any 1/2 year cap dump? We can take on that as well. Basically, Habs help in salary cap space to get the best value we can get type thing.

Ya, the 50% retention and Kyle Turris going the other way is pretty much the only way we can swing the deal.

As for fit, I think he’d pair well with Tyson Barrie.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I proposed this in the first couple pages, one ouler fan liked the deal no one else has really replied other than simply saying no way Chiarot gets a 1st.

Even if in a vacuum he isn't worth a first he likely gets 1 because we don't live in a vacuum. GM's watched him play over 25 minutes a game on the way to a cup final and be a nasty SOB playing incredibly hard minutes.

Not to mention if you are the oilers who is the scariest team in your division? Even with their injury riddled start it has to be the golden knights. Want to know who had a fantastic series where we shut down every Vegas forward last playoffs?

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Because if we wait until the deadline, the issue isn’t nearly as pressing. Our 4 best LD are all out injured at the moment. Broberg looks good, and Russell is fine as a #6/7, but we still need help in the interim. That guy we bring in playing on the 3rd pairing going forward to push 4K/Russell down is just gravy
Seems a bit sketchy to be offering your first round pick to plug a hole caused by short term injury when you're near the top of the standings. That pick is better used at the deadline, there really is no counter argument to that fact. I would suggest that if the 1st is offered the need is more pressing than you suggest or Holland is a moron.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Seems a bit sketchy to be offering your first round pick to plug a hole caused by short term injury when you're near the top of the standings. That pick is better used at the deadline, there really is no counter argument to that fact. I would suggest that if the 1st is offered the need is more pressing than you suggest or Holland is a moron.

We could still use an upgrade on the 3rd pairing. It’s just a lot more important when you have 4 dmen injured. You can’t always just wait until you’re getting peak value.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Edmundson is key for us. He’s the key to activate Petry haha

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
What teams would beat Holloway + 1st for Chychrun? All the prospects better than Holloway are likely consider untouchable by their teams.

He’s one of the better prospects in the league rn

“What teams would beat Holloway + 1st for Chychrun?”

Many teams in the NHL can do that.

This can be seen on the sites:
CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Home - Frozen Tools

For example:
Montreal Canadiens
Washington Capitals
Vegas Golden Knights
Colorado Avalanche
New York Rangers
Los Angeles Kings

There are many other teams.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
“What teams would beat Holloway + 1st for Chychrun?”

Many teams in the NHL can do that.

This can be seen on the sites:
CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Home - Frozen Tools

For example:
Montreal Canadiens
Washington Capitals
Vegas Golden Knights
Colorado Avalanche
New York Rangers
Los Angeles Kings

There are many other teams.
Do you think before you post?

Vegas is one of the most cap strapped teams in the league. The Avs dcore is too deep as is.

What would the capitals or Montreal offer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad