Sportsnet: Jeff Marek: Holland looking to move 1st or top prospects for LD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Yzerman should try Romanov, if Montréal finally decides to rebuild. Edmunston is a system type of player, not sure he'd fit on the Wings. Romanov would gel nice on a young core, he's physical and mobile with nice transition; lately, he's been the best Habs defensemen, and his potential is greater than what he is.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
What I want to know is how the Oilers are going to be able to afford to get a decent LD in the near future (and they really do need one in the near future) at just the cost of picks or prospects?

Right now they exceed the $81.5M cap limit by $7,106,636 which is allowable because of the $$8,583,769 they have in the LTIR pool. That leaves $1,075,000 left in LTIR space to use.
How on earth do you find a decent LD for $1.075M?
well they'll need retention on what's coming in and they'll wanna send a dump going out so normally that adds to the cost of a player . i can see prices for acquiring players to be expensive because there will be 20-22 teams competing for 16 spots and true contenders will be wanting to add finishing touches . definitely gonna be a sellers market .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Holland is a moron, this is just another indicator of how out of touch he is. If he waits until the deadline there's going to be top flight defencemen available that will require a 1st round pick to land and the teams trading them will be willing to eat cap if they are out of the playoff mix. Who's out of the mix now and going to eat any contract? He's going to end up with some underwhelming return for that first round pick if he moves it now, a guy like Travis Dermott who's cheap, available and probably not worth it or some scrub like Chariot who definitely is not worth it. If he waits, maybe he can get somebody like Giordano.
even at 50 % retention how would that be possible ?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We could still use an upgrade on the 3rd pairing. It’s just a lot more important when you have 4 dmen injured. You can’t always just wait until you’re getting peak value.
I wouldn't mind if the upgrade on the 3rd pair came by upgrading the 2nd pair and bumping Keith down. If we are trading a 1st, I want either a goalie or a 2nd pair defenseman (or better).

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Yzerman should try Romanov, if Montréal finally decides to rebuild. Edmunston is a system type of player, not sure he'd fit on the Wings. Romanov would gel nice on a young core, he's physical and mobile with nice transition; lately, he's been the best Habs defensemen, and his potential is greater than what he is.
this makes no sense . romanov is a key part of the montreal rebuild

Last edited:
Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
even at 50 % retention how would that be possible ?
Cap magic, something to do with guys you have that can be put on IR to accrue their cap money and be allowed to exceed the cap by the end of the season. Go ask any of the GM's who've done it in the past or a resident cap nerd. It happens all the time at the deadline. Giordano at 50 percent should be able to fit when you consider he'll be replacing some defenceman's contract in the lineup, he will only have a fraction of that money left to pay out, and they can squeeze out some dollars from the injury pool. Presto, Giordano instead of Chariot, assuming Francis is willing to deal.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Cap magic, something to do with guys you have that can be put on IR to accrue their cap money and be allowed to exceed the cap by the end of the season. Go ask any of the GM's who've done it in the past or a resident cap nerd. It happens all the time at the deadline. Giordano at 50 percent should be able to fit when you consider he'll be replacing some defenceman's contract in the lineup, he will only have a fraction of that money left to pay out, and they can squeeze out some dollars from the injury pool. Presto, Giordano instead of Chariot, assuming Francis is willing to deal.
i'm not sure if a 38 year old giordano at twice the cap hit will hold up as well as a 30 year old chariot. he will be quite a bit more expensive i would think .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you're trading the 1st I think you're better off getting a player that will be a longer term part of your team, not just a 1 year rental.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
this makes no sense . romanov is a key part of the montreal rebuild

Romanov is part of the Montréal retool, not the rebuild. The reason Montréal doesn't do it is because they want to compete; hence retool but not rebuild. With all the skill Detroit has, a guy like Romanov would be perfect to have long term. If I were Yzerman, I'd offer a 1st, a low price if Romanov exceeds his potential. Remember, the draft is in Montréal this year, maybe it convinces Bergevin.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Romanov is part of the Montréal retool, not the rebuild. The reason Montréal doesn't do it is because they want to compete; hence retool but not rebuild. With all the skill Detroit has, a guy like Romanov would be perfect to have long term. If I were Yzerman, I'd offer a 1st, a low price if Romanov exceeds his potential. Remember, the draft is in Montréal this year, maybe it convinces Bergevin.
romanov is a stud . your not getting him for a first . it's like montreal going looking for seider. forget about it .

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Do you think before you post?

Vegas is one of the most cap strapped teams in the league. The Avs dcore is too deep as is.

What would the capitals or Montreal offer?

You wrote “Do you think before you post?“

You wrote in a previous comment - “What teams would beat Holloway + 1st for Chychrun?”
After reading this I thought - “Do you think before you post? “
Politeness is my middle name. “Turn the other cheek” is my motto.
So I didn't write that. You wrote that. I was just thinking. :nod:

Now I will answer your questions.

“Vegas is one of the most cap strapped teams in the league“.
This has been discussed a lot in other threads on the forum. Let me remind you of a few words:
LTIR, Evgeni Dadonov, Reilly Smith…. There are other options.
I hope you don't see much of a problem in Chychrun's (LD) position.
Tampa will give you the answer.

“The Avs dcore is too deep as is.“
There are fans who are dissatisfied with the game of Samuel Girard. There are many different opinions about the player. The Colorado Avalanche is a contender for the Stanley Cup. Imagine LD1 and LD2 are Chychrun and Byram.
It makes sense. The question is the price. The rest of the questions can be resolved.

“What would the capitals or Montreal offer? “
You wrote in a previous comment “What teams would beat Holloway + 1st for Chychrun?”
Do you think this is enough for the Chychrun exchange? I think no.

Your offer - "Holloway + 1st"
My task is to bet more. Any team can add a little.
Washington Capitals:
Connor Mcmichael (or Hendrix Lapierre) + 1st 2022 + 2nd 2022 (WPG) + 3rd 2023.
Montreal Canadiens
Alexander Romanov (or Kaiden Guhle) + 1st 2023 + 2nd 2022 + 3rd 2022 + 3rd 2023.

I think Arizona will easily turn down any such offer.
I only fulfilled the conditions of the task.
I wrote the template for my proposal earlier.

This theme is "Jeff Marek: Holland looking to move 1st or top prospects for LD"
I think there is no point in discussing the other commands in this thread in detail.
You can start a new topic on many issues.
For example:
“Vegas is one of the most cap strapped teams in the league“.
“The Avs dcore is too deep as is.“
“What would the capitals or Montreal offer?“

In a new topic, I will answer your question in detail. Good luck. :)

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
i'm not sure if a 38 year old giordano at twice the cap hit will hold up as well as a 30 year old chariot. he will be quite a bit more expensive i would think .
OK then pick out another defenceman at the deadline to spend the 1st round pick on. Whoever it is, it will be better value than what you get now for that pick which was the point i was making. Why spend the 1st round pick at a time its going to get less in return?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
LD? After signing Nurse & trading for Keith? Is this a typo & supposed to be RD?

If they are hoping for Chychurn its 1st and top prospect, not or.
No, because all 3 of our regular LD are injured. We are rolling with our #7D, and two AHLers at the moment. Plus our weak link on the blueline is the 3LD hole anyway so it's the spot to work on upgrading.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya, the 50% retention and Kyle Turris going the other way is pretty much the only way we can swing the deal.

As for fit, I think he’d pair well with Tyson Barrie.

Turris coming back the other way is not an issue for us as long as we are getting value we feel is right for us. If not, we will flip Chiarot to another team where we don't have to retain or take Turris back.

Best offers get Chiarot and there will be more than just 1 or 2 teams calling.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not to mention if you are the oilers who is the scariest team in your division? Even with their injury riddled start it has to be the golden knights. Want to know who had a fantastic series where we shut down every Vegas forward last playoffs?

They are very aware but they will only admit to Chiarot's value after they acquire him. Before? It will be devalue game.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
OK then pick out another defenceman at the deadline to spend the 1st round pick on. Whoever it is, it will be better value than what you get now for that pick which was the point i was making. Why spend the 1st round pick at a time its going to get less in return?
i just wouldn't wait to long to make your move . there will be plenty of buyers out there .

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
LD? After signing Nurse & trading for Keith? Is this a typo & supposed to be RD?

If they are hoping for Chychurn its 1st and top prospect, not or.

Notice how you only said 2 names though? Our RD is awesome, but we could use one more guy on the left side. And considering our top 4 LD are all hurt at the moment, it makes sense to go for the rental now instead of at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad