Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm mostly saying that it's less about mistakes, and more about the team you build. Focusing on the positive, and not the negative, especially when these GMs adapt to the negatives and move on from them. Like for instance, Washington won the cup even though they made one of the worst mistakes of that era, trading Forsberg for Erat. Vegas was getting viciously criticized for tons of moves like Dadonov, moving Suzuki for Pacioretty, who they gave away for almost nothing, and they gave him away before they even won the cup.

What I'm saying is that the mistakes don't matter as much as the good moves. Vegas won because they got Pietrangelo, Eichel, Barbashev, Stone. Fans focus on the negative, but those don't matter nearly as much.

I'm noticing similar quality out of Holland. He got Kane, Ekholm, Hyman. Brown is also probably going to be in that tier. Heck even Ceci, Smith, and a lot of other subtle moves I liked. And, just like Vegas he's made slip ups but I don't think those really matter. Holland gets criticized that we need real success, but all these winning teams get the same criticism until they win. The trick is not to over-react to the lack of success. Is the team trending towards a cup or not?

Logic isn’t allowed here.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
imo part of this new CEO Jackson is to make that call.

Imo, Holland has done an amazing job here and should stay on. Not all his moves were good but so many of them were, and I really like his mix of pushing the team forward but without killing the youth and prospect system. Imo, at this point the cup is all but certain, and the only thing that could wreck that is to push out the youth for "win now" veterans. We are all but guaranteed the cup if we make sure the window is 8-10 years long, not 2-3

But, we will see what Jackson thinks about it.
That is positive!

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When you make a massive mistake like the Forbserg thing, you really have to do wonders to make up for it.

And Washington basically did. Kuzentsov honestly was probably *better* than Ovechkin in the playoffs where the won the Cup. Holtby was a top goalie that they found for nothing. Can you imagine if an Oilers GM found a player at pick 26 that outscored McDavid in a playoff run to the Finals? We'd build a statue for that GM just based on that.

Vegas made a mistake with Suzuki but then made like 7 or 8 good to great moves that paid dividends.

The Oilers if we're being honest don't get the job done for McDavid and Drai to that level. If they did we'd have a Cup, at least a Cup Final by now because Connor and Leon sure as f*** aren't the hold up here.
Those teams definitely had more good moves than you say, as well as more bad moves. I also see Holland's top moves as in the tier you mention. For our team I don't think we need to find someone to outscore McDavid and Draisaitl. We need a GM to get us an Ekholm. We need a GM to get us a Kane, a Hyman, a Brown. But, also, we probably need better goaltending and maybe another D. A lot o the right moves are happening. I see a direct comparison here to those teams who start making all the right moves before they win it all. It's a lot different than Chiarelli where the big win was finding Maroon, but losing him because of getting Lucic anyway. And Hall for Larsson.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I actually used to defend the org pretty ardently until they broke me. Hell I've defended the Griffin Reinhart trade. But you wouldn't know that.

Hey, if you like never winning a Stanley Cup, that's your business. I for one didn't enjoy losing to Vegas one bit. Sorry for not cheerleading this team at every given opportunity. They have the best player on the planet and another who's top 5.

You're free to tell me how Bob Nicholson has done a good job for the team instead of attacking me whenever possible.
If the organization broke you why the f*** are you still following them and nattering on in a fan forum. Sounds messed to me.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

Imo both opinions on Holland are valid though. That's for Jackson to figure out. I like Holland, but he has made some doozy errors, especially that Campbell signing.
He's also not great at managing a cap and that has to be the number one skill the oilers are looking for in a GM at the moment. Holland pulled this franchise out of the garbage but he's not the finish line. We need someone younger for sure.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Who else will give him attention
Keith's attention was on making moves in a desperate way to win.
The priority from on HIGH was this is an entertainment business first and a pursuit of the Stanley second.
Keith might sound a little crazy at times.
Having said that the hiring of Jeff likely signals that Holland is done in the spring.
I wonder if Jeff already has a few guys in mind.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, you youngins...It’s almost as if slang terminology was recently invented by Gen Z. Not.

Here’s a few more for ya…skedaddle, 23 skidoo, hornswoggle, knuckle sandwich, wisenheimer, hoosegow.
;)
23 skidoo?

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, you youngins...It’s almost as if slang terminology was recently invented by Gen Z. Not.

Here’s a few more for ya…skedaddle, 23 skidoo, hornswoggle, knuckle sandwich, wisenheimer, hoosegow.
;)
1691251797010.png

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Why is it that Vegas is a team that the Oilers absolutely should have beaten and it now seems to be this narrative that the Oilers choked the series away?

Sorry but that's just straight up f***ing stupid. Vegas is a solid, well built team top to bottom and have been since their inception. This idea that Edmonton should have rolled them and waltzed to a cup is f***ing asinine.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

;)
Don't forget Dickety. You had to say dickety in your time because that Kaiser had stolen your word for twenty. You chased that rascal to get it back but gave up after dickety six miles.

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Why is it that Vegas is a team that the Oilers absolutely should have beaten and it now seems to be this narrative that the Oilers choked the series away?

Sorry but that's just straight up f***ing stupid. Vegas is a solid, well built team top to bottom and have been since their inception. This idea that Edmonton should have rolled them and waltzed to a cup is f***ing asinine.
In the history of hockey teams with the two best players on Earth should win a couple cups. They should be able to prevail. Its harder to score in the playoffs and star players of the time are often the difference whether that be Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier or Howe and Delvecchio or Orr and Esposito or Lemieux Jagr. or Crosby Malkin.

The team that has the two greatest players of the time should manage to prevail at least 1-2 seasons. If you don't bag a cup somewhere along the line with the duo of McDrai its a failure of sorts.

historically though the Vegas loss will be especially ironic as it implicates many of the other GM's in the league that left such quality players for the Knights to grab, unprotected.

The other sting is losing to Colorado. You know that one stings for McDrai because its their contemporary getting his name on history. For all the points or whatever what matters to these guys is getting a cup. McDrai themselves would consider it failure not to get their name on it. Thats how history goes. Everybody wants to be on the cup, nobody emulates Marcel Dionnes fate.

nobody wants to be on this list, only one that got off it was OV.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

It’s probably because we were going against their 3rd and 4th string goalie during the series. Who would have thought Adin Hill would turn into Roy during the playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It’s probably because we were going against their 3rd and 4th string goalie during the series. Who would have thought Adin Hill would turn into Roy during the playoffs.
In that series I was saying that Vegas should be playing Adin Hill instead of Brossoit. Hill protects the net much better and is much better suited to playing the Oilers specifically than Brossoit was. One makes himslef large, the other is tentative and crawling in the goal. The Oilers would have continued to cave Brossoit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad