Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Reactions: Canovin

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know how you come away from the last several Holland pressers with any conclusion other than he's retiring after this season. He's playing it coy, but saying things like "I don't have time to wait for bananas to ripen" and refusing to say that he wants to come back, it seems fairly obvious that he's planning on calling it quits after this season.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don't know how you come away from the last several Holland pressers with any conclusion other than he's retiring after this season. He's playing it coy, but saying things like "I don't have time to wait for bananas to ripen" and refusing to say that he wants to come back, it seems fairly obvious that he's planning on calling it quits after this season.
You could be right but Holland doesn’t seem like he’s ready to walk away from hockey yet.

I just have a hard time believing the guy would spend 5 years building the team into a contender and then walk away in the middle of their contending years.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
His words 'HE has some decision to make' talking to Jackson would indicate he would come back if Jeff will have him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I had that feeling as well based on his responses. He also mentioned his family insinuating that he would like to spend more time away from the game after this season. My guess is that he’s our GM for this season and then is replaced for the 2024/2025 season. Who knows, maybe his son takes over.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
His words 'HE has some decision to make' talking to Jackson would indicate he would come back if Jeff will have him.
Or it implies that he'll have to decide who to hire once Holland retires.

Holland is old, I would be shocked if he comes back next year.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I had that feeling as well based on his responses. He also mentioned his family insinuating that he would like to spend more time away from the game after this season. My guess is that he’s our GM for this season and then is replaced for the 2024/2025 season. Who knows, maybe his son takes over.

I think that was Holland's long game ... get his son installed as GM of the Oilers.

I doubt it happens now, you never know, but I don't think Jackson is really obligated at all to hire Brad Holland. Possibly he will stay on with the organization if Ken Holland is not brought back though.

I think Ken Holland will stay on in a role with the front office (high level advisor basically), but someone else will be GM next season and that someone else isn't going to be Brad Holland.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You could be right but Holland doesn’t seem like he’s ready to walk away from hockey yet.

I just have a hard time believing the guy would spend 5 years building the team into a contender and then walk away in the middle of their contending years.

Holland's team has already won the cup several times. He's here on a highly paid 25M contract which expires in May. From the start of this contract I thought it was apparent this was the big retirement contract to set him up big for rest of life and estate.

Katz won't be too interested, and shouldn't be, continuing to pay Holland big money for less of a role. Katz replaced Nicholson, who was responsible for managing the liquor and red wine stock in the Katz cave, with somebody that will actually be uber active in his role.

Holland will simply retire. I doubt he even sticks around for any crumbs. Why would he? Holland is old. You can only require so much money and quality of life and free time becomes more what you desire at his age. This stint was stressful for Holland as well, as it would be in a Canadian market with huge expectations in a McDrai win now window. The pressure would be immense. Why would Holland desire more?

Nicholson stays to fill water bottles.
You spelled red wine wrong. Nicholson wouldn't know what water is.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

duul

Jun 21, 2010
What incentive is there to keep Holland through this season? Arguably the most important one yet and he has shown he can't get creative enough with the cap like some of the other younger GM's. This is a critical year to find a way to ship out some salary and picks/prospects to acquire some impactful pieces for a deep run here.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I'm tired of incompetents getting cozy jobs with the team. There's no reason to retain Nicholson whatsoever.

You have absolutely no idea what goes on behind closed doors and why Katz retained him/changed his role etc

Hilarious to have such a grand statement like “no reason to retain Nicholson whatsoever” when your visibility into the Club hierarchy relies on tweets from pundits.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You have absolutely no idea what goes on behind closed doors and why Katz retained him/changed his role etc

Hilarious to have such a grand statement like “no reason to retain Nicholson whatsoever” when your visibility into the Club hierarchy relies on tweets from pundits.
You're actually supportive of Nicholsons body of work here?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

My visibility into the club heirarchy relies on the fact we've won at most 8 playoff games in a single year since he was hired.

Did you enjoy seeing Vegas kick our ass?

You're actually supportive of Nicholsons body of work here?
I don't get these people. You'd think we weren't waxed out of the playoffs by a team we should've beaten yet again.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My visibility into the club heirarchy relies on the fact we've won at most 8 playoff games in a single year since he was hired.

I don't get these people. You'd think we weren't waxed out of the playoffs by a team we should've beaten yet again.
And how exactly do you know that things would be any better with anyone else in charge?

You don’t.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

It’s alright, no one gets you.

You e continually shown year after year how little knowledge you actually have.

Say stuff like you’re leaving here if we lose to only show back up.

Anytime the oilers do anything good you’re nowhere to be found.

68000 posts of being negative, must be an enjoyable life

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s alright, no one gets you.

You e continually shown year after year how little knowledge you actually have.

Say stuff like you’re leaving here if we lose to only show back up.

Anytime the oilers do anything good you’re nowhere to be found.

68000 posts of being negative, must be an enjoyable life
I actually used to defend the org pretty ardently until they broke me. Hell I've defended the Griffin Reinhart trade. But you wouldn't know that.

Hey, if you like never winning a Stanley Cup, that's your business. I for one didn't enjoy losing to Vegas one bit. Sorry for not cheerleading this team at every given opportunity. They have the best player on the planet and another who's top 5.

You're free to tell me how Bob Nicholson has done a good job for the team instead of attacking me whenever possible.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What incentive is there to keep Holland through this season? Arguably the most important one yet and he has shown he can't get creative enough with the cap like some of the other younger GM's. This is a critical year to find a way to ship out some salary and picks/prospects to acquire some impactful pieces for a deep run here.
imo part of this new CEO Jackson is to make that call.

Imo, Holland has done an amazing job here and should stay on. Not all his moves were good but so many of them were, and I really like his mix of pushing the team forward but without killing the youth and prospect system. Imo, at this point the cup is all but certain, and the only thing that could wreck that is to push out the youth for "win now" veterans. We are all but guaranteed the cup if we make sure the window is 8-10 years long, not 2-3

But, we will see what Jackson thinks about it.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
imo part of this new CEO Jackson is to make that call.

Imo, Holland has done an amazing job here and should stay on. Not all his moves were good but so many of them were, and I really like his mix of pushing the team forward but without killing the youth and prospect system. Imo, at this point the cup is all but certain, and the only thing that could wreck that is to push out the youth for "win now" veterans. We are all but guaranteed the cup if we make sure the window is 8-10 years long, not 2-3

But, we will see what Jackson thinks about it.

The Oilers have to be in the Finals IMO for Holland to even be in consideration to stay on.

Nothing less than that.

You guys are so used to bad management you've forgotten what good management looks like, one bad move for every good one isn't good management.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers have to be in the Finals IMO for Holland to even be in consideration to stay on.

Nothing less than that.

You guys are so used to bad management you've forgotten what good management looks like, one bad move for every good one isn't good management.
Colorado and Vegas just won cups while making bad moves too. Vegas made much more mistakes than Holland. I agree that we've had bad management for so long that we don't know what good management looks like. I think I may be guilty of that, but maybe you too. It's not that we should expect nothing but perfection. I really think Holland has done great, and part of that is that his negatives aren't really all that bad, except for Campbell. Even there, he's kind of side stepped that problem for now with this Brown deal, and that gives Campbell time to bounce back.

He's definitely not made one bad move for every good one. It's more like 3 or 4 bad move in about 20. Also his bad moves have been mostly side stepped very well, or exaggerated.

Again though, I am a fan of Holland's moves but I'm mostly basing it on the positive trends and that I liked a lot of his choices.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Colorado and Vegas just won cups while making bad moves too. Vegas made much more mistakes than Holland. I agree that we've had bad management for so long that we don't know what good management looks like. I think I may be guilty of that, but maybe you too. It's not that we should expect nothing but perfection. I really think Holland has done great, and part of that is that his negatives aren't really all that bad, except for Campbell. Even there, he's kind of side stepped that problem for now with this Brown deal, and that gives Campbell time to bounce back.

He's definitely not made one bad move for every good one. It's more like 3 or 4 bad move in about 20. Also his bad moves have been mostly side stepped very well, or exaggerated.

Again though, I am a fan of Holland's moves but I'm mostly basing it on the positive trends and that I liked a lot of his choices.

So Vegas has worse players than McDavid and Draisaitl (we know that because they would trade Eichel and Stone in a heartbeat for McDrai), makes more mistakes as a front office, but somehow had a better team?

That math ain't adding up homie.

On our end we know McDavid and Draisaitl are holding up their end of the bargain (more than holding up their end, McDavid has stretches where he's literally scoring at a Gretzky level) which leaves ... the guys in charge of building the rest of the team outside of them as the only culprit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So Vegas has worse players than McDavid and Draisaitl (we know that because they would trade Eichel and Stone in a heartbeat for McDrai), makes more mistakes as a front office, but somehow had a better team?

That math ain't adding up homie.

On our end we know McDavid and Draisaitl are holding up their end of the bargain (more than holding up their end, McDavid has stretches where he's literally scoring at a Gretzky level) which leaves ... the guys in charge of building the rest of the team outside of them as the only culprit.
I'm mostly saying that it's less about mistakes, and more about the team you build. Focusing on the positive, and not the negative, especially when these GMs adapt to the negatives and move on from them. Like for instance, Washington won the cup even though they made one of the worst mistakes of that era, trading Forsberg for Erat. Vegas was getting viciously criticized for tons of moves like Dadonov, moving Suzuki for Pacioretty, who they gave away for almost nothing, and they gave him away before they even won the cup.

What I'm saying is that the mistakes don't matter as much as the good moves. Vegas won because they got Pietrangelo, Eichel, Barbashev, Stone. Fans focus on the negative, but those don't matter nearly as much.

I'm noticing similar quality out of Holland. He got Kane, Ekholm, Hyman. Brown is also probably going to be in that tier. Heck even Ceci, Smith, and a lot of other subtle moves I liked. And, just like Vegas he's made slip ups but I don't think those really matter. Holland gets criticized that we need real success, but all these winning teams get the same criticism until they win. The trick is not to over-react to the lack of success. Is the team trending towards a cup or not?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm mostly saying that it's less about mistakes, and more about the team you build. Focusing on the positive, and not the negative, especially when these GMs adapt to the negatives and move on from them. Like for instance, Washington won the cup even though they made one of the worst mistakes of that era, trading Forsberg for Erat. Vegas was getting viciously criticized for tons of moves like Dadonov, moving Suzuki for Pacioretty, who they gave away for almost nothing, and they gave him away before they even won the cup.

What I'm saying is that the mistakes don't matter as much as the good moves. Vegas won because they got Pietrangelo, Eichel, Barbashev, Stone. Fans focus on the negative, but those don't matter nearly as much.

I'm noticing similar quality out of Holland. He got Kane, Ekholm, Hyman. Brown is also probably going to be in that tier. Heck even Ceci, Smith, and a lot of other subtle moves I liked. And, just like Vegas he's made slip ups but I don't think those really matter. Holland gets criticized that we need real success, but all these winning teams get the same criticism until they win. The trick is not to over-react to the lack of success. Is the team trending towards a cup or not?

When you make a massive mistake like the Forbserg thing, you really have to do wonders to make up for it.

And Washington basically did. Kuzentsov honestly was probably *better* than Ovechkin in the playoffs where the won the Cup. Holtby was a top goalie that they found for nothing. Can you imagine if an Oilers GM found a player at pick 26 that outscored McDavid in a playoff run to the Finals? We'd build a statue for that GM just based on that.

Vegas made a mistake with Suzuki but then made like 7 or 8 good to great moves that paid dividends.

The Oilers if we're being honest don't get the job done for McDavid and Drai to that level. If they did we'd have a Cup, at least a Cup Final by now because Connor and Leon sure as f*** aren't the hold up here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad