Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well I’m a jerk. And I’m tired of people living in this fantasy world where they’d have any sort of clue about a job like that. We don’t have any idea about his process and what he did, who he talked to, and who he interviewed and who declined. So when people say if oh yeah if he just hands the job to so and so then I think he’s not doing a good job. But really we’d never really know how extensive his search was so it’s kind of ludicrous to base an opinion about someone’s job performance based solely on that.

What I will say is that Jackson is very well regarded in hockey circles and I think a lot of the reaction around the league shows that and honestly I think there’s still a lot of shock. This is a guy who would have been managing a half a billion dollars in contracts in a couple years and he walked away from that to take this job. That says a lot to me.
The bolded sounds more like it. you're going to a greater depth of curmudgeon every day. Be careful, it can get worse from there. lol

jk aside I don't disagree with the second paragraph at all. But this is a fanboard with all kinds of comments. Don't let them bug you in anyway. That won't help.

Cynicism re: the Oilers is learned behavior. I was cured of that for a number of years and was taking the positive smarties but I can fathom every pov possible in regards to the org, or in regards to what its like to be an Edmonton Sports fan. Lets keep in mind here in Canada we pay premium ticket price and no soup for any of us for the last 30yrs. people can say well, we're not owed anything but the Canadian sports fan sure isn't getting a lot to get excited about. That said its relative good times as long as McDrai are here.

After digging in a bit more this seems like a good hire. Oilers have certainly made a lot of bad hires. This one shouldn't be that. Should be some way in which the org is helped by this hire.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This is what makes me a bit skeptical of the hire.

It's fairly unprecedented for an agent to get this job (I know somebody mentioned Burke but still....pretty rare) and it just so happens to be McDavid's agent when McDavid is a few years from free agency. The change is nice as long as Nicholson is out but I question the motive behind this hire, has a nepotistic (if this is a word) feel to it.

Ex player, ex agent, ex lawyer has all the makings of “the most qualified, non-old boys” GM we’ve ever had.

I read this as Katz: “Connor, I’m giving you the keys. You wanna win? Do it your way… which hockey mind do you trust”

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
People just need to complain, If you were to write up the perfect resume for a hockey exec this is it.

If I owned a hockey team I would absolutely be hunting for agents with law degrees to run it over former players

One of the biggest historical issues with the Oilers has been not reading the market correctly

Well in this case they get both.

Jackson played over 250 NHL games too.

Imagine that… a smart ex-player who’s banked coin negotiating hockey deals for over a decade.

You can’t get much more qualified than that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sounds like Jackson is pro analytics. That IMO is a positive.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Meh, LT is constantly beating the analytics drum and he's been pushing Holland out the door for years. Take with a grain of salt.

I really enjoy his writing, and most of his columns are solid, but as with anyone there are some inherent biases.
What? He has been a Holland cheerleader and has never said he should be shown the door

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Sounds just like Victor Cui of the Elks.

As I said he'll be judged on what he does not his resume before he gets the job.
Sounds like Cui? I didn’t know Jackson was the ceo of some 2nd rate mma promotion in Thailand before becoming the president of a franchise in a sport he’s had no real involvement in before.

Jackson is a prominent figure in the hockey business world and he’s had a big hand in how a lot of these agencies scout and help develop players even before NHL teams can. I think he can add a lot in some of the areas we have historically lacked such as player dev and analytics. I don’t think he’ll get rid of Holland and my guess is he extends him on a 1-2 year deal so he can see through what he’s started but it’ll be very much a team effort with Ken, jr and Bill Scott. I do think Jackson will bring in some of his own people including someone to be his asst gm and possibly a candidate for who will succeed Holland, maybe they circle back to Staios. But I don’t think we’ll see much change in the general philosophy and vision of the team but more so it’ll be Jackson adding to it and bringing some of what we’ve been missing.

This is honestly a big dick move by Katz, convincing this guy to take this job. It’s a total headhunt and he must of had to make quite the offer along with some commitments to spend on an expanded hockey ops dept.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Sounds just like Victor Cui of the Elks.

As I said he'll be judged on what he does not his resume before he gets the job.
Don’t believe he will be testing and rating hotdogs in all of the arenas around the league. ;) In all seriousness they aren’t comparable at all. Jackson is very well entrenched, experienced and respected in the hockey community. Cui went to Esk games when he was a kid.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Well in this case they get both.

Jackson played over 250 NHL games too.

Imagine that… a smart ex-player who’s banked coin negotiating hockey deals for over a decade.

You can’t get much more qualified than that.
And 4 years of hockey ops experience in a huge Canadian market so he understands what he's getting into

Plus he's the agent the best player in the world's parent's chose ;)

It's a massive, massive upgrade over Nicholson and we needed this.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Seems like an intelligent and humble dude, so I'll give him that.

Interesting that Leon is living in Ontario this summer to train with McDavid daily and the group of them are planning to come back to Edmonton early this year (Hyman, probably Nurse).

I think most (if not all) of the Oilers core players, Drai included, have been training every summer with Gary Roberts since at least 2018.

Drai did the same last year, f***ed off to Spain with his girlfriend and dog after being eliminated, came to Toronto in August, back to Edmonton in September.

Charmed life really, a retreat to a beautiful country followed by a return to two great cities.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I don’t think he’ll get rid of Holland and my guess is he extends him on a 1-2 year deal

No shot imo.

I really feel in one year these titles will change and there will be a POHO/GM hierarchy. That can't happen until Holland is gone. Jackson isn't technically replacing Nicholson, because Nicholson did OEG board and business stuff. This is a hockey ops hire.

End this season Holland will retire, whether he wants to or not, and the Oilers will restructure.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Nope, he's an excellent analyst actually. Does a lot of analysis with the Condors, and is an great follow on Twitter.

Kind of odd to see someone (bcurlock) that is “so critical” of the org praise Katz’ ability to spend money (and yet not spend it on a lot of things this same person seemed to complain the Oilers had a lack of).

Either way, sounds like this could be a solid hire.

Reactions: McBooya42

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yawn. Mcdavid hates it here. Remember his picture at the draft in 2015?

Hes coming home to Toronto. You'll see!

All jokes aside what's going to be the new leaf cope?
Next will be ol faithful
Marner & Matthews are better anyway

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No shot imo.

I really feel in one year these titles will change and there will be a POHO/GM hierarchy. That can't happen until Holland is gone. Jackson isn't technically replacing Nicholson, because Nicholson did OEG board and business stuff. This is a hockey ops hire.

End this season Holland will retire, whether he wants to or not, and the Oilers will restructure.
We’ll see how it all shakes out but my guess is a multi year transition where Holland shifts to just being poho or he retires and Jackson absorbs that role.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Thought it was awkward when Holland was asked what his plans are, saying by the end of the year he will have some decision to make, then sort of scoffed and laughed saying actually THIS guy has some decisions to make while pointing to his new boss.

Have a feeling he wants to come back if he’s invited back. I doubt after seeing the too many cap blunders he has made that Jackson brings him back in. Way too many oversights that have hampered us even if he has added some good players. Fact of the matter is it’s not Holland enticing these guys here it’s Connor. Holland paid Hyman, Brown, and Campbell more money than they’d get anywhere else. It’s not like any of them took a big discount to come here. Only one player I can think of who took a notable discount is Nuge. Kane even looked around and saw nobody was offering him more, a guy in a dire financial situation.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nope, he's an excellent analyst actually. Does a lot of analysis with the Condors, and is an great follow on Twitter.
Ya I looked into him after. It was just weird because he talks about how he saw all Jackson's agency always at games.

Which first made me wonder how the heck you'd even know all those people. And second the guy obviously has some sort of press pass, but I've never heard of him til now.

Worth the follow that's for sure

Matthews as an Oiler with McDavid.
one year 5mil. I'd love it.

Thought it was awkward when Holland was asked what his plans are, saying by the end of the year he will have some decision to make, then sort of scoffed and laughed saying actually THIS guy has some decisions to make while pointing to his new boss.

Have a feeling he wants to come back if he’s invited back. I doubt after seeing the too many cap blunders he has made that Jackson brings him back in. Way too many oversights that have hampered us even if he has added some good players. Fact of the matter is it’s not Holland enticing these guys here it’s Connor. Holland paid Hyman, Brown, and Campbell more money than they’d get anywhere else. It’s not like any of them took a big discount to come here. Only one player I can think of who took a notable discount is Nuge. Kane even looked around and saw nobody was offering him more, a guy in a dire financial situation.
Lot's of incorrect assumptions here as usual

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
If the oilers had actually listened to joe faceless fan rather than used the morons running things over the last 20 years they'd be a hell of a lot further along. And that is a sad truth.

You’re the guy who whined about Horcoffs contract and then whined when Horcoff was traded because they didn’t get enough.

The average faceless joe isn’t that smart. There’s a reason why they’re on a hockey forum.

Reactions: brentashton

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You’re the guy who whined about Horcoffs contract and then whined when Horcoff was traded because they didn’t get enough.

The average faceless joe isn’t that smart. There’s a reason why they’re on a hockey forum.
don't get me involved in this :laugh:

Only question I have is if Jeff had the power to shit can Schwartz

Will be a hell of a start for him and he will gain a lot of fans with such a simple move lolol
Personally I rather him not come in and fire people. It's not a very good practice IMO.

Now hiring Kevin Woodley to help out and then fire Schwartz in a few months I'm on board.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad