Jason Botterill Discussion 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
This thread needs a little love, as does our oft-criticized GM. Sometimes the green-as-grass new hire makes disappointing moves initially, but learns on the job, and eventually demonstrates a level of competence his detractors thought unattainable.

The guy has been killing it this off-season IMHO, and I don't think he's done yet.
I'm happy so far but if he trades Risto that move will make or break this summer imo. Smart moves and finally some cap management as well.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I'm happy so far but if he trades Risto that move will make or break this summer imo. Smart moves and finally some cap management as well.
The D is now so populous that he can package up one or two, maybe with another asset, and get a legit top-6 forward, and create zero holes at D doing so. He's created that position of strength to fill a weakness - classic good GM work.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This thread needs a little love, as does our oft-criticized GM. Sometimes the green-as-grass new hire makes disappointing moves initially, but learns on the job, and eventually demonstrates a level of competence his detractors thought unattainable.

The guy has been killing it this off-season IMHO, and I don't think he's done yet.

I don't think he had any learning to do. This was part of his plan...assess, acquire cheap placeholders, stock the pipeline, step on the gas.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Our little guy is really growing into that head

1990s-swingers-vinve-vaughn-EWL6Cv1f1w5B6

Last edited:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I don't want to speak too soon, because there's still work to be done and who knows what will happen once they actually start playing games, but right now the oft-repeated take that Botterill should have been fired at the end of last season is looking pretty silly. I mean, sillier than it did at the time. He's is playing the long game, which we should have already been doing the three years prior to his tenure, and ownership is on board. I think we will start to reap the rewards of patience this season.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Are we ready to forgive the ROR trade yet?

I say this with extreme Buffalove, eternal patience and tremendous respect and enthusiasm for what Botterill has done this summer: no, absolutely not.

However, that trade is fading from memory. Acquiring an exciting, impactful NHL forward this summer would mostly erase it.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I say this with extreme Buffalove, eternal patience and tremendous respect and enthusiasm for what Botterill has done this summer: no, absolutely not.

However, that trade is fading from memory. Acquiring an exciting, impactful NHL forward this summer would mostly erase it.
Get me to the playoffs next season, and I'll be "ROR who?"

Reactions: CatsforReinhart

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Get me to the playoffs next season, and I'll be "ROR who?"

Oh, absolutely. If GMBott can add a legit, top-6 NHL forward, they've got a decent mix. As long as Krueger can balance the lines and get them all to understand whatever system they're supposed to be playing, they could get something going.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Nice work Botts!

The rebuild 2, necessitated by our former GM, is going just fine.

Even the OReilly trade allowed us to get Montour and Miller, and netted us a future perennial 25 goal scorer in Thompson. Yeah, you heard me right.

And if O'Reilly is on this team last year, he's watching the playoffs from home.

Again, great job Jason, just keep blocking out all the f***ing noise!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I like what Botts has done so far this off-season but maybe the hardcore supporters should remember how much back-patting was being done during the winning streak last year, and remember how things turned out after that and perhaps exercise just a tad more restraint with the victory laps.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I like what Botts has done so far this off-season but maybe the hardcore supporters should remember how much back-patting was being done during the winning streak last year, and remember how things turned out after that and perhaps exercise just a tad more restraint with the victory laps.

Something I'm conflicted on is balancing reaction of moves made at the time of the trade or signing vs their outcome. Of course outcome is the intended goal but there's many factors involved.

A big criticism of botterill is that he hasn't made "easy moves". Not signing certain guys, not trading for certain guys, etc.

Now hes traded for Miller, montour, skinner, and joker, signed Johansson to a pretty harmless deal.

They might not turn out to be perfect, or even good moves, but I think the narrative that hes asleep at the wheel, and only makes terrible moves is gone.

Again, if nylander/guhle/etc turns great and the guys and the guys we get flop, you can blame him for being wrong, but 90% of the hockey community would be wrong too.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
You're right, of course, but it's a reaction to the completely over-the-top negativity that characterizes 90% of the Botterill discussion here. I don't think many people have been doing "victory laps" or saying anything that wasn't couched in a conditional about how things actually turn out next year.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I feel like I'm in a relationship where my spouse cheated on me, and is showing signs of improvement, but the trust issues are still there. It's going to take time for forgiveness and trust, but I can at least say for the first time trust is beginning to build again.

I still want to see him rid some of the crappy players, and also not be so hesitant to demote and promote players throughout the season. If he does that, then may faith will be restored for the time being. Just dont f*** up again,Botts!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Meh, I think rebuilding the right side of the defense through savvy trades is a much bigger deal than a 10-game winning streak, so I get the excitement.

My God! Did I just kinda sorta defend Botts?!

* curls into a ball on the floor slowly swaying back and forth muttering 'RoR, Conn Smythe, Thompson, Sobotka' over and over again*

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel like I'm in a relationship where my spouse cheated on me, and is showing signs of improvement, but the trust issues are still there. It's going to take time for forgiveness and trust, but I can at least say for the first time trust is beginning to build again.

I still want to see him rid some of the crappy players, and also not be so hesitant to demote and promote players throughout the season. If he does that, then may faith will be restored for the time being. Just dont **** up again,Botts!

I don’t know if I would use that sort of analogy, but I am pleased he’s made moves that have seemingly improved the team. Trust is fickle: once it’s gone it’s very hard to reestablish. If he had been making deals like this right from the first summer and had been practicing what he preached about development/earned ice time throughout his tenure, accolades would be much freer flowing. It’s nice to see him making positive moves without strange conditions or immeasurably bad players coming back to the team.

From the outset, I have wanted to be impressed with what he does and these last few trades have certainly been an improvement. And I have the same thought, don’t f*** up the next one.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I like how a few people stepping off the ledge for a few minutes is actually a cause for concern around here. Citing the one time last year, after like a decade+ of crap, that we were legitimately happy for about a month as "false hope" and goading everyone back to our comfort zone on the ledge.

You guys are too much. :laugh:

EDIT: "Remember, we're Sabres fans. We can't have nice things and happiness only leads to disappointment. Come back on over to the ledge, look how far down it goes. I bet it looks pretty cool at the bottom. Remember how mad you were after the 10 game win streak and the "bad times" started again? Well, I hear Ryan O'Reilly is down there. He's partying with Hasek and the co-caps. Sobotka or Thompson weren't invited, but you are. Yeah... that's right... come on back. Back to the ledge. Nothing can hurt us here. Good boy."

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44 and Tatre

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm happy everyone is relaxing on Botterill as sometimes it can get toxic, but for me there's still a lot of trust issues in his judgement of players and decisions, not to mention we probably have some talent slotted too high. We still remain as a team that is weak at the forward position at creating offense, and even with the acquisition of MoJo, still weak defensively.

It's a nice start but there's way too much that relies on hope for my liking to shift my opinion on Botterill. Until these individual moves start leading to consistent wins, I'm remaining skeptical about him and what he's doing, even if I have liked some of the moves he's done.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm pleased he has found a way to accomplish the acquisition side of my personal wish-list #2 roster item for the summer - reshape the defense.

This is the sort of incremental improvement I was hoping for when he took over: find upside guys who can be part of the current window, compliment who is already in place while finding players who are "core" individuals. He's done a good job in the last 11 months of doing that. Keep it up, they have what looks like a need for a mid-6 pivot, a RW who can play a possession/fetch-it game for the top line, and of course more skill and speed everywhere outside of the top 3 guys on the roster. Keep it going.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ml1310

Sep 20, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yesterdays trade pretty much guarantees a Risto departure, no? Feel like I need to get my popcorn ready and see what Botts can get for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad