Jason Botterill Discussion 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Botts plan is to build a quality development farm in Rochester, mixing recent top picks and targeting quality vets. I like that he’s reacquiring a bunch of last year’s talent on ahl deals, increasing his overall flexibility.

Oh, you meant the Sabres? He doesn’t have one. Hope jack, Rasmus, and Sam hard carry with little support, then say building something takes time.

Reactions: Drunkard

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
When you acquire a 1st, 2nd and a top 6 forward prospect, you’re not expecting to be better then, you’re planning for 3-5 years down the line.

When you hope you are acquiring a 1st round talent, 2nd round talent and a top 6 forward prospect, you’re not expecting to be better then, you’re planning for 3-5 years down the line

But when you actually are actually acquiring a 2nd round talent draft pick, and another 2nd round draft pick hopefully, and a middle 6 forward prospect...And when your team is probably 1-2 years away if you're competent enough in actually building a team, but instead you actually punted 2-3 seasons away so you can be better in 3-5 years then it kind of feels foolish to make that type of move.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

He needs to better at interviews...

LOL

Yeah... he either needs to BS a little and just say it is untrue, or be very quick to say "no comment". That half response, pause to think, then finally deciding on "I don't want to talk about conversations I've had with players" is all but saying they've at least had a conversation with Risto about him wanting out. Probably more.

Hopefully he's a little more sly on the phone with other GM's than he is in public... but I kinda doubt that.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I know exactly what happened there.

He started to knee jerk that it was 100 percent not true...then realized he’s likely going to trade him eventually and it would likely come out in an interview with him that he did so he had to say f*** it we don’t talk about private conversations.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
LOL

Yeah... he either needs to BS a little and just say it is untrue, or be very quick to say "no comment". That half response, pause to think, then finally deciding on "I don't want to talk about conversations I've had with players" is all but saying they've at least had a conversation with Risto about him wanting out. Probably more.

Hopefully he's a little more sly on the phone with other GM's than he is in public... but I kinda doubt that.

I think his answer was correct. He needs to be smoother in his delivery but everyone already knows that. Whenever someone answers "no comment" people, usually rightfully, leap to the conclusion they have something to hide.

Harrington's take assumes he did ask for a trade:
Fair enough. Botterill wouldn't come out and admit that's the case because it would hurt his leverage for a potential trade. He wouldn't deny it, either, because it would be a bad look to outright lie to the media.
Column: Botterill toes the line, but latest trade means Ristolainen will be dealt

That's a load of crap about not wanting to hurt his leverage. If Risto asked for a trade his agent would make it known to GM's around the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know exactly what happened there.

He started to knee jerk that it was 100 percent not true...then realized he’s likely going to trade him eventually and it would likely come out in an interview with him that he did so he had to say **** it we don’t talk about private conversations.

I would hope that he has the GM oblivion to be able to answer questions if they do trade him after a strong denial that things do change - in much the same way that he could answer how he went from endorsing his bumbling head coach to sacking him.

This interview was painful.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I would hope that he has the GM oblivion to be able to answer questions if they do trade him after a strong denial that things do change - in much the same way that he could answer how he went from endorsing his bumbling head coach to sacking him.

This interview was painful.

Not an interview with Botterill...an interview with Ristolainen

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think his answer was correct. He needs to be smoother in his delivery but everyone already knows that. Whenever someone answers "no comment" people, usually rightfully, leap to the conclusion they have something to hide.
Yeah, you aren't wrong. The answer itself didn't really bother me, I even think he caught himself reasonably well after stumbling at first... just wish he didn't stumble so much. We're going on year 3 and he's not some awkward behind-the-scenes IT guy, he's running the show. He's the boss, his decisions make or break the future of this team. Gotta be more confident.

Gotta think these gaffes and his zero poker face will eventually cost him leverage if/when significant things slip out or are strongly hinted at... if it hasn't already.

You mean, "It's a situation where it's for me to know and a scenario for you to find out."
You mean, "Look, it's a situation where it's for me to know and a scenario for you to find out." :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffaloed

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007

You'd think he'd have expected such a predictable question, and had a bland answer that gives nothing away prepared in advance.

Still, I like the moves he's made so far this off-season. I can forgive a moment's clumsiness in a meaningless media scrum.

Reactions: Rasmi

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The front office has been trying to put out word that Risto is still a big part of their plans... and then he goes and undoes all that with this donkey interview.

Way to go clown.
It sounds like Risto is gonzo. The return he gets will be telling. If it's underwhelming it'll be one step forward and four steps backwards. Story of Botts tenure so far. Fingers crossed he gets it right.

I do like the depth he's built on defense, though I'm not sure it's a great blend of skill right now. Too many defensemen with too many questionmarks regarding their defensive game.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

That’s not how I heard that. I thought he was about to roundly reject the accuracy of the basis of the question only to realize that would also be interpreted wrongly.

People need to stop trying to read between the lines with botterill with regard to roster moves. It’s not like you are going to get anything of value from direct questions. You need an insider.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It sounds like Risto is gonzo. The return he gets will be telling. If it's underwhelming it'll be one step forward, and four steps backwards. Story of Botts tenure so far. Fingers crossed he gets it right.
IMO its tough to give up the best/most valuable player in a deal and walk away feeling like you won. The only way that happens is a one for one pure hockey trade and while that could happen... I don't think that will happen. One because it's Botts and he seems to go quality for quantity or bust, and two because it's looking more and more like we're operating at a disadvantage again with Risto seemingly having requested to be moved.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
That’s not how I heard that. I thought he was about to roundly reject the accuracy of the basis of the question only to realize that would also be interpreted wrongly.
In trying to avoid being interpreted wrongly, he acted in a way that's easily misinterpreted. :laugh:

By acknowledging the private conversation, he admitted that the private conversation happened. Now it's possible he's just really bad at this and inadvertently admitted to something that actually never happened... but more likely, it did happen and he was flustered by the question.

Deleted member 27798

Bumping this as a reminder that there is a place for those who haven't beat the dead horse enough. Bash him for making moves, bash him for not making moves, bash him for his appearance, bash him just for the sake of bashing him.

Carry on.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
This thread needs a little love, as does our oft-criticized GM. Sometimes the green-as-grass new hire makes disappointing moves initially, but learns on the job, and eventually demonstrates a level of competence his detractors thought unattainable.

The guy has been killing it this off-season IMHO, and I don't think he's done yet.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
This thread needs a little love, as does our oft-criticized GM. Sometimes the green-as-grass new hire makes disappointing moves initially, but learns on the job, and eventually demonstrates a level of competence his detractors thought unattainable.

The guy has been killing it this off-season IMHO, and I don't think he's done yet.
Yes sir. This thread is awful to read through. Just keep firing guys is motto around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad