Jason Botterill Discussion 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Anyone else find it weird that both times Krueger was asked about analytics he really only emphasized it in terms of injuries and man-games-lost?

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Anyone else find it weird that both times Krueger was asked about analytics he really only emphasized it in terms of injuries and man-games-lost?
Yeah, it was less than what I wanted to hear. There are lots of reasons he might be limited in his answers right now; being careful because management is slow to accept the necessity, only talking about what he knows can be applied to hockey from soccer, being vague because he's more comfortable letting actually knowledgeable people handle analytics.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
My understanding is a "data race" occurs when two or more threads in a single process access the same memory location concurrently, and at least one of the accesses is for writing, and the threads are not using any exclusive locks to control their accesses to that memory.

A data race should not be confused with a race condition which is an error that occurs when a device or system attempts to perform two or more operations at the same time, but because of the nature of the device or system, the operations must be done in the proper sequence to be done correctly.

Many data races are due to race conditions. Many race conditions are due to data races.

Here at HFBoards our programmers work diligently to avoid data races and race conditions.

Sound the alert....... a village (most likely east Java) is missing it's idi...... errr.... Information Officer! :laugh:

Reactions: Chainshot

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yeah, it was less than what I wanted to hear. There are lots of reasons he might be limited in his answers right now; being careful because management is slow to accept the necessity, only talking about what he knows can be applied to hockey from soccer, being vague because he's more comfortable letting actually knowledgeable people handle analytics.

Heck, he's almost as old as I am. :help: Analytics? How do you spell that? Does this mean I need to be able to work a computer? Can I hire someone to do all of that for me? :laugh:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Many teams are investing in their analytics department, meanwhile Buffalo is slow to invest in that area. Where other teams have multiple workers in this area, I believe Buffalo only has one guy handling this department.

When you factor in Terry being all about providing the team the resources it needs to succeed (see re-designed locker room for example), not investing in this area, which could give you more information to be competitive with, is baffling. It would be understandable if we were still under the Golisano ownership and the penny-pinching, but we're not. Add in the fact of Terry wanting to be ahead of the curve or doing things differently, not having a grasp on this area, where it would actually help you and your coaching be competitive, is inexcusable.

Nah..... just clueless....... this guy doesn't even reportedly know how to open his e-mail....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I would disagree with inclusion of Kekalainen based using a negative as the number of picks he has in this and next year's draft (2 and 5 respectively).

The take that Botterill has to do a lot is also something I would take with a grain of salt. He wasted his first summer and didn't add to his core. He has to find a way to add a key piece or two without again creating a hole he can't fill. Get better? Sure. But don't be stupid (again). And don't waste time (again). There is a balance there.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If he trade Risto for help in the top 6, will it really be a hole? Just the game Risto all this time was so terrible that it seems to me that Nelson and Borgen will play no worse than he. :confused:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Glad to see Gretz describe it as a make or break season for Botterill personally because that's what it should be. Anything short of major improvement and he has to be shown the door. 3 years is plenty.

The problem is how does he make up for f***ing up year 1 and then blundering through year 2 in just one summer? I'm more worried about more long-term damage honestly (say, dealing Reinhart for bupkis "depth" pieces or shilling salary from his former bosses that goes beyond this season for a middling return).

Reactions: Priceless 39

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
His best hope is that Krueger can pull this group together and be in the hunt for a playoff spot. There's enough talent, Eichel and Reinhart are approaching peak/maturity, Dahlin is too good too driven not to take a good step forward, Skinner's back. There are others as well and 2 or 3 players from Rochester. Botterill needs to add a few players through free agency and/or trade. If they fall on their faces again bye bye Botts. There is the worry he could make things worse which is why I wanted him gone along with Housley.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think Krueger and his staff working out is more important to saving Botteril's job than another off-season of major turnover. And I think Botts knows that. I don't get the impression of "big changes need to happen" from the Sabres brass like we got last year... and Botts has been downright giddy since the Krueger hire.

As such, I don't see a desperation move like trading Reinhart or anything. Like what happened with 'he who shall not be named'. We have talent... I think half the battle is just getting a real system/gameplan, real structure and preparation, and the whole team buying in and showing up every night.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He also may, at this point, not be 100% up to speed on what kind of analytics the Sabres actually have. AFAIK, there isn't a uniform way teams track theses things. Each team has its own metrics and own way of measuring them. So, could be that he just hasn't had a chance to really dive into what we have and figure out how to use it. I imagine that, since the hire, his focus has been on reaching out to players and getting ready for the draft. Dealing with the particulars of the roster and how he'll use the pieces on it seems like something that could be put off until closer to camp.

Regardless, a lot of analytics seem to just confirm what the eye test is telling us about players. Hopefully his eyes work better than Housley's.

Reactions: Tatre

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If he trade Risto for help in the top 6, will it really be a hole? Just the game Risto all this time was so terrible that it seems to me that Nelson and Borgen will play no worse than he. :confused:

Remember when Risto got injured last season and our other RHD had to play increased and more difficult minutes to cover the gap and they were complete trainwrecks? I do. Risto is certainly not a guy you want playing the minutes he has the last several seasons, but he's comfortably much better than any of our other current options.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Remember when Risto got injured last season and our other RHD had to play increased and more difficult minutes to cover the gap and they were complete trainwrecks? I do. Risto is certainly not a guy you want playing the minutes he has the last several seasons, but he's comfortably much better than any of our other current options.
We have Montour for the top 4, you can try Nelson and Borgen in the third pair, sign Stralman or trade for Colin Miller, and trade Risto for help with the top 6.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We have Montour for the top 4, you can try Nelson and Borgen in the third pair, sign Stralman or trade for Colin Miller, and trade Risto for help with the top 6.

Montour in Risto’s use was said train wreck.

Miller got benched in the playoffs and he hadn’t been the most consistent player which lends itself to his potential availability again.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Montour in Risto’s use was said train wreck.

Miller got benched in the playoffs and he hadn’t been the most consistent player which lends itself to his potential availability again.
Well, for me it is obvious that Montour is better than Risto. Of course, he is a player of another plan, I just really got tired of looking at this shame Ristolainen in defense. By the way, Colin Miller is also better than Risto in many aspects and statistics.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, for me it is obvious that Montour is better than Risto. Of course, he is a player of another plan, I just really got tired of looking at this shame Ristolainen in defense. By the way, Colin Miller is also better than Risto in many aspects and statistics.

Eh, Montour as used as Risto was used in Phil’s *ahem* system was not good. He wasn’t a good defender in Anaheim either.

And being better than Risto in metrics isn’t the best baseline. Being good vs NHL average would interest me more.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Eh, Montour as used as Risto was used in Phil’s *ahem* system was not good. He wasn’t a good defender in Anaheim either.

And being better than Risto in metrics isn’t the best baseline. Being good vs NHL average would interest me more.
Phil's system is generally incomprehensible that almost no one was good there. I understand that Montour is not that reliable guy in his zone, but he is a pretty decent two-sided back and I like the way he connects to the attack. Unfortunately, I can’t say this about Risto, so I don’t mind trading with him to help in top 6. I look at it in such a way that almost any trainee defender can play in the trainer's system and play well, especially in the example of Trotz in the Islanders, After all, have them there are almost no some stellar guys in the defense, but however they were reliable, but without a good second link, it would be very difficult to oppose something to competitors.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If you're a billionaire with an openly professed love of the sport, how does your team go from middling playoff contender, to perennial joke under this clown.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If you're a billionaire with an openly professed love of the sport, how does your team go from middling playoff contender, to perennial joke under this clown.

That he made his wife the president of an NHL team is all you have to know when it comes to our dysfunction. What other owner in a major league sport has done this?

D9d796XWkAM4Ve6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad