Jason Botterill Discussion 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
If I was hiding in my office like Botts should be right now.....

Everytime either Botterill or Pegula ... or both... attend a league meeting or event, the silent but assured backdrop conversation will be "there goes the doofus who traded the Stanley Cup Conn Symthe winner for next to nothing".

Honestly, why would anyone in the NHL take this franchise seriously? The Sabres are just roadkill for the buzzards to peck on.

Botterill is damaged goods. He did it to himself or allowed Pegula to do the damage. It doesn't matter... I wouldn't hire Botterill to manage my youth hockey association at this point.

And if ANY of us had ef'd up as bad as Jason has, we wouldn't have an office to hide in. We'd be gone.

Rant over........

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The organization really needs a win with the fanbase. I may need coffee, but I wonder if Botts offer sheets one of the Leafs. It's almost a no-lose scenario for him. If they match, then they match and we all understand that's a possibility under the CBA. That comes with the added bonus of positive press that you're trying to improve in creative ways. If the Leafs don't match, we poached a good player from a hated rival.

If I was hiding in my office like Botts should be right now, I'd be thinking hard about this (he should be, anyways, but I digress).

I've made this analogy numerous times on this board: in terms of analytics, the Sabres are where the Baltimore Orioles were 2-3 years ago (minus all the winning the O's did from 2012-16, of course) when you could tell they were getting lapped by the field in data-driven analysis. The Sabres give nods to analytics, but anyone with half a brain can tell they've fallen way behind in that area. One can hope that the hire of Krueger is the first of a multi-step process to catch them up with the league. But there need to be more resources put into that area.

But if you offersheet a TML then you risk not being able to trade 6th round picks with them for absolutely no reason

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What does this twitt mean, decipher please?
My understanding is a "data race" occurs when two or more threads in a single process access the same memory location concurrently, and at least one of the accesses is for writing, and the threads are not using any exclusive locks to control their accesses to that memory.

A data race should not be confused with a race condition which is an error that occurs when a device or system attempts to perform two or more operations at the same time, but because of the nature of the device or system, the operations must be done in the proper sequence to be done correctly.

Many data races are due to race conditions. Many race conditions are due to data races.

Here at HFBoards our programmers work diligently to avoid data races and race conditions.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
What a surprise. Pegula has no idea what he's doing as an owner.
This is where if this is the case that the GM needs to step the hell up, do his job, and make the case they need it. It's not like the ownership has been hesitant to invest in things that support their teams.

This stuff in sports is generally not driven by owners beyond putting in the resources. It's by the people that surround them. It comes back to needing to get the right people in there.

And it doesn't take a galaxy brain level genius at GM to realize the importance of and try to push this stuff. This is basic competence level stuff.

Krueger's talk about some of this stuff, and how he's described some of his Southhampton tenure gives me hope he might be capable of being a turning point, but it's the actions that will tell.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
The bitterness in this thread is sickening. Jeez, if ROR was here we were going to win the cup this year, right? Of course we would have. Losing ROR is problem. Literally no one outside of the Pegulas and Botts knows why the ROR trade happened anyway. He still has good trades in his pocket (Montour and Skinner) for the same sort of crap that we received for ROR. He hired a f***ing terrible coach, but at least he didn't give him a 3rd season so lesson learned. He never got the right depth signings but this is not worth the constant bitching over here. Next season is make or break for him frankly. Wait out the offseason, lets see what happens now and then bitch about Botts at the end of the season when he should be canned if results dont dont come. What is the point of bitching now before anything happens, no one can explain.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The bitterness in this thread is sickening. Jeez, if ROR was here we were going to win the cup this year, right? Of course we would have. Losing ROR is problem. Literally no one outside of the Pegulas and Botts knows why the ROR trade happened anyway. He still has good trades in his pocket (Montour and Skinner) for the same sort of crap that we received for ROR. He hired a ****ing terrible coach, but at least he didn't give him a 3rd season so lesson learned. He never got the right depth signings but this is not worth the constant *****ing over here. Next season is make or break for him frankly. Wait out the offseason, lets see what happens now and then ***** about Botts at the end of the season when he should be canned if results dont dont come. What is the point of *****ing now before anything happens, no one can explain.

Expectations, intuition, following the evidence...

My hope tank is currently re-filling, and someone killed the water line to my house.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The bitterness in this thread is sickening. Jeez, if ROR was here we were going to win the cup this year, right? Of course we would have. Losing ROR is problem. Literally no one outside of the Pegulas and Botts knows why the ROR trade happened anyway. He still has good trades in his pocket (Montour and Skinner) for the same sort of crap that we received for ROR. He hired a ****ing terrible coach, but at least he didn't give him a 3rd season so lesson learned. He never got the right depth signings but this is not worth the constant *****ing over here. Next season is make or break for him frankly. Wait out the offseason, lets see what happens now and then ***** about Botts at the end of the season when he should be canned if results dont dont come. What is the point of *****ing now before anything happens, no one can explain.
If you want to give him credit for Montour that's perfectly fine, but Skinner? He basically forced his way here because he wanted to be as close to Toronto as possible and fell right into our laps. The problem is that Botts has spent the last two seasons doing nothing but step on rakes. He made a trade (the 6th round one) that wouldn't have even cut it as a comedy sketch because the premise was so absurd. How is anyone supposed to have confidence in this guy given his track record?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
How would Travis Yost know what the Sabres are doing analytics wise? He's probably right but he could just be making assumptions based on the bumbling owners and GM. Does he know a Sabres insider who's told him our analytics dept is behind other teams'?

We have the SportsLogiq data which is 100 times the data the guys not employed by NHL teams have. We should hire Ryan Stimson, maybe Micah too - these guys are scraping by with Patreon and/or day jobs, they would come fairly cheap.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If you want to give him credit for Montour that's perfectly fine, but Skinner? He basically forced his way here because he wanted to be as close to Toronto as possible and fell right into our laps. The problem is that Botts has spent the last two seasons doing nothing but step on rakes. He made a trade (the 6th round one) that wouldn't have even cut it as a comedy sketch because the premise was so absurd. How is anyone supposed to have confidence in this guy given his track record?
So you are gonna give Botts shit when clearly Pegs/Eichel had issues with ROR and he was forced to trade him but when circumstances fit your narrative and Skinner wanted to come here and that helped in the trade, you are not going to give any credit to Botts. Yeah, cool.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Expectations, intuition, following the evidence...

My hope tank is currently re-filling, and someone killed the water line to my house.
None of us have anything left in the hope-tank. But I'd rather not hear about the ROR trade for another 3 months before we even see what roster goes on the ice next season, let alone letting them play under a new hopefully actually competent coach. If that doesn't work, then give Botts all the shit you want. I probably will too at that point as 3 years should be enough to identify a good coach and fill roster holes behind key players in Eichel and Dahlin.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How would Travis Yost know what the Sabres are doing analytics wise? He's probably right but he could just be making assumptions based on the bumbling owners and GM. Does he know a Sabres insider who's told him our analytics dept is behind other teams'?

We have the SportsLogiq data which is 100 times the data the guys not employed by NHL teams have. We should hire Ryan Stimson, maybe Micah too - these guys are scraping by with Patreon and/or day jobs, they would come fairly cheap.
To me the frustrating thing is that they could literally go on twitter and have a general idea of how the "analytics community" values certain players. Analytics isn't something that even has to be an expense, because there's so much valuable free information.

But NHL management teams can be so out of touch and arrogant that they probably don't even consider all of the available information.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Wild have parted ways with their analytics folks. Seems Andrew C. Thomas May have pitched a fit after the Rask acquisition and Alexandra Mandrycky is leaving this summer. They are not Fenton folks.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
None of us have anything left in the hope-tank. But I'd rather not hear about the ROR trade for another 3 months before we even see what roster goes on the ice next season, let alone letting them play under a new hopefully actually competent coach. If that doesn't work, then give Botts all the **** you want. I probably will too at that point as 3 years should be enough to identify a good coach and fill roster holes behind key players in Eichel and Dahlin.
You can tell there's a lot of emotional posts on this board, based on timing.

Nothing about the Sabres changed from Wednesday night to Thursday morning. No roster moves, no press conferences, nothing. The last move the Sabres made was re-sign their top goal scorer, a week ago.

But as soon as the Blues won the Cup and O'reilly got his trophy, the flood gates opened this whole discussion has been revitalized. The trade was the trade regardless of if the Blues won. O'Reilly was O'Reilly before winning. This was apparent a few months ago.

So this recent resurgence of Sabres/Botterill hate, is nothing more than an emotional response to something a few nights ago that didn't involve this team.

Reactions: Aladyyn

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What does this twitt mean, decipher please?

Many teams are investing in their analytics department, meanwhile Buffalo is slow to invest in that area. Where other teams have multiple workers in this area, I believe Buffalo only has one guy handling this department.

When you factor in Terry being all about providing the team the resources it needs to succeed (see re-designed locker room for example), not investing in this area, which could give you more information to be competitive with, is baffling. It would be understandable if we were still under the Golisano ownership and the penny-pinching, but we're not. Add in the fact of Terry wanting to be ahead of the curve or doing things differently, not having a grasp on this area, where it would actually help you and your coaching be competitive, is inexcusable.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad