Jason Botterill Discussion 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, this is really the thread where all the salt should be.

Either he unknowingly made a very bad trade, which sucks for us, because nothing is stopping more of them, or he made it due to the wishes of the owner, which is double bad, because now we’re f***ed for the duration of Pegula’s tenure.

I really want to know which it was.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Either he unknowingly made a very bad trade, which sucks for us, because nothing is stopping more of them, or he made it due to the wishes of the owner, which is double bad, because now we’re ****ed for the duration of Pegula’s tenure.
False dilemma. People can learn from mistakes. Just because Botterill and/or the Pegulas made a mistake in the ROR situation, that doesn't guarantee that the same mistake will continue to be made. If there's one good thing to come out of this, it is that it should be blatantly obvious to them by now that they did make a mistake, and hopefully they have learned from it.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Yeah, this is really the thread where all the salt should be.

Either he unknowingly made a very bad trade, which sucks for us, because nothing is stopping more of them, or he made it due to the wishes of the owner, which is double bad, because now we’re ****ed for the duration of Pegula’s tenure.

I really want to know which it was.

We'll never know for sure but it's almost impossible to say that the Pegula's didn't have a hand in the deal considering the way it played out. If you wanted them to learn not to meddle in the hockey operations of the team you couldn't have asked for it to play out any better.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah given the choice i'm taking botts over chiarelli.

I still think the ror trade was pushed by outside factors, and beyond that he's been below average at assembling depth.

The "chiarelli has cups" argument is dumb. Especially from people who should know better than to confuse an outcome with an individual's role in achieving that outcome.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
We'll never know for sure but it's almost impossible to say that the Pegula's didn't have a hand in the deal considering the way it played out. If you wanted them to learn not to meddle in the hockey operations of the team you couldn't have asked for it to play out any better.

At the cost of a champion 1st line selke center? That’s a hell of a price for that lesson...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
At the cost of a champion 1st line selke center? That’s a hell of a price for that lesson...
That's his point. Its impossible to ignore. Anything less might not be taken as seriously.

I don't think he's saying it was a "good" lesson. Just that it can't possibly be ignored

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
"For as much as the Sabres are being criticized for the deal, what’s puzzling to me looking back was how few teams actually showed interest, probably shying away from a contract that pays him $7.5 million a year. Montreal dabbled a bit and there were reports Carolina called, but really, the stunner now a year later is that more teams didn’t show interest in a great buy-low candidate."

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah given the choice i'm taking botts over chiarelli.

I still think the ror trade was pushed by outside factors, and beyond that he's been below average at assembling depth.

The "chiarelli has cups" argument is dumb. Especially from people who should know better than to confuse an outcome with an individual's role in achieving that outcome.

Chiarelli took Boston to the playoffs for 7 straight years... two cup finals...

You'd take Botts over him... that's hilarious.

Despite all his mistakes in Edmonton he's at least shown he CAN do the job (Boston).

Jason Botteril hired Phil Housley and traded ROR for cap dumps and lousy futures. They aren't even in the same ballpark of stupid.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I just became a STH yesterday. My seat is in Section 309, Row 11, Seat 1. That is the first row of the price point I wanted and I got an aisle seat to boot. It's not hard to figure out they have tons of inventory to unload after literally having a wait list a few days ago. The market for this team is dying real fast and we need to stop being a joke today, not a year or two from now (when Jack would be in his SEVENTH season).
While I understand the need to appease the fans and keep the money coming in... I'd hope that roster building happens on a timeline that makes sense for the roster, not the fans.

Lots of people are saying "this year needs to be the year, playoffs or bust, do or die" based on nothing other than the feeling it's already gone on too long and vague references to ticket sales... when literally every last shred of evidence (and the list keeps growing) points to everything coming together around 20/21.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While I understand the need to appease the fans and keep the money coming in... I'd hope that roster building happens on a timeline that makes sense for the roster, not the fans.

Lots of people are saying "this year needs to be the year, playoffs or bust, do or die" based on nothing other than the feeling it's already gone on too long and vague references to ticket sales... when literally every last shred of evidence (and the list keeps growing) points to everything coming together around 20/21.

People are indicating that after two years of relative inaction, they need to start installing good players by whatever means necessary so that they are in fact able to compete by what will be Eichel's 6th season in the league. They have shuffled some deckchairs, but so far the ship is still sinking.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Chiarelli took Boston to the playoffs for 7 straight years... two cup finals...

You'd take Botts over him... that's hilarious.

Despite all his mistakes in Edmonton he's at least shown he CAN do the job (Boston).

Jason Botteril hired Phil Housley and traded ROR for cap dumps and lousy futures. They aren't even in the same ballpark of stupid.
Again you're confusing results with process. The bruins were good in spite of chia.

This is the guy that traded: seguin, kessel, hall, eberle, strome, wheeler, for what return?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Again you're confusing results with process. The bruins were good in spite of chia.

This is the guy that traded: seguin, kessel, hall, eberle, strome, wheeler, for what return?

Process brings results... you don't compete for a cup for 7 straight years with a bad GM.

All those Boston trades were the right moves, as evidenced by the results. The Edmonton plan failed.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Process brings results... you don't compete for a cup for 7 straight years with a bad GM.

All those Boston trades were the right moves, as evidenced by the results. The Edmonton plan failed.
You're saying with a straight face Boston would be worse if they kept seguin?

You're saying with a straight face, chia was a good gm and then forgot how to manage in Edmonton? It failed because he sucks.

The argument is just so illogical. Sorry botts screwed the oreilly deal and has been questionable in other areas but no need to go off the deepend.

I should have known to stay away after the blues won. It was inevitable that there would be these emotional responses out of frustration

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

You're saying with a straight face, chia was a good gm and then forgot how to manage in Edmonton? It failed because he sucks.

Nope. None of the words you attempted to put in my mouth, actually came out of it.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
"For as much as the Sabres are being criticized for the deal, what’s puzzling to me looking back was how few teams actually showed interest, probably shying away from a contract that pays him $7.5 million a year. Montreal dabbled a bit and there were reports Carolina called, but really, the stunner now a year later is that more teams didn’t show interest in a great buy-low candidate."

Many people don't want to consider all the factors leading up to the trade.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Many people (who got it wrong) invent factors

Well that doesn't affect me. I never got it wrong. I criticized the trade from day one. Before it happened I suggested that if it does happen, it should be for Lindholm and Hanifin. You should remember because you responded with how much you liked that idea. I just happen to not have to pinpoint any one person or reason to explain why the crappy trade happened.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I’m going to say this about this f***ing clown. If he trades Reinhart this offseason and not Ristolainen, I’m saying if both things happen, the Sabres can kiss my ass goodbye until Botts is gone. I like college hockey. I’ll just pick a team to follow and be done with this dumpster fire of a franchise until they purge this dummy.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I’m going to say this about this ****ing clown. If he trades Reinhart this offseason and not Ristolainen, I’m saying if both things happen, the Sabres can kiss my ass goodbye until Botts is gone. I like college hockey. I’ll just pick a team to follow and be done with this dumpster fire of a franchise until they purge this dummy.
I'd want nothing short of his severed head on a sharpened hockey stick in front of the arena.

Reactions: Chainshot

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

The argument is just so illogical. Sorry botts screwed the oreilly deal and has been questionable in other areas but no need to go off the deepend.

I should have known to stay away after the blues won. It was inevitable that there would be these emotional responses out of frustration
People should realize this mess started when Pegula took over.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I’m going to say this about this ****ing clown. If he trades Reinhart this offseason and not Ristolainen, I’m saying if both things happen, the Sabres can kiss my ass goodbye until Botts is gone. I like college hockey. I’ll just pick a team to follow and be done with this dumpster fire of a franchise until they purge this dummy.
It really is hard to have hope with him at the helm.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad