Jason Botterill Discussion 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Honestly in terms of worst GM's in hockey history he's only behind Ed Johnson (the only GM so terrible he literally killed a team). He's even worse than Milbury because it took that clown more than 2 years to do the level of damage on LI that Botts did to us.

No, he's not worse than Milbury's tenure in the Island.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No, he's not worse than Milbury's tenure in the Island.
After two more years of this stupidity and Jack and Sam force their way out of town he sure as hell would be. I've never seen a GM do as much damage in such a short time as Botts did. The fact he isn't holding a press conference announcing his resignation is why we are the biggest joke in the entire sport.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lmao if you honestly think Botts is worse than Chiarelli. This is peak hfboards.
He traded the Conn Smyth winner and didn't get a single NHL quality player in return. My God, at least he got back a guy who was thought to be a credible young defenseman for Hall. Botts couldn't even do that. And the 6th round pick trade is the single most stupid and crazy thing I have ever seen a GM do. Despite being gifted a potential generational defenseman he couldn't even match the season that got GMTM and Abysmal fired. I could spend the next half hour going over all his stupid and terrible moves but I am just so tired from being on a bus for 8 hours I just don't have the energy right now.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Botterill's record speaks for itself right now. No need to debate. He's been pretty bad. That said, he still has a chance to change that.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He won a cup and took all of the credit for a team that Jeff Gorton built. He then proceeded to set back Edmonton year after year consistently.

Sure Gorton deserves credit for what he did in those...few months that he was Interim GM in 2006.... especially when the Bruins won the cup... 5 years later

My eyes rolled so far in to the back of my head it hurt...

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Sure Gorton deserves credit for what he did in those...few months that he was Interim GM in 2006.... especially when the Bruins won the cup... 5 years later

My eyes rolled so far in to the back of my head it hurt...

Rask, Chara, Lucic, Marchand, and Savard were core players leading up to that cup run. Half still are today.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Rask, Chara, Lucic, Marchand, and Savard were core players leading up to that cup run. Half still are today.

It takes more than a core to win a cup.

Chiarelli doing a Botts would’ve been trading Chara or Bergeron for dog shit before they built a team around the core.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Botterill's record speaks for itself right now. No need to debate. He's been pretty bad. That said, he still has a chance to change that.

Let's hope for our sake that he is all of the things we've heard he was when he was hired and that we start to see that soon.

Don't we all want to be impressed with something he does this summer? Actually, check that: don't we all want to be impressed with things he does regularly, rather than just looking for one thing? This team isn't getting better if he only manages to impress with just one thing this summer.

We need to start seeing the plaudits bear fruit or else he will be unemployed soon and we'll get our third noob GM and another sea change in scouting.

Reactions: sabremike

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Let's hope for our sake that he is all of the things we've heard he was when he was hired and that we start to see that soon.

Don't we all want to be impressed with something he does this summer? Actually, check that: don't we all want to be impressed with things he does regularly, rather than just looking for one thing? This team isn't getting better if he only manages to impress with just one thing this summer.

We need to start seeing the plaudits bear fruit or else he will be unemployed soon and we'll get our third noob GM and another sea change in scouting.

100% this off-season is the make it or break it time for Botts. Unlike a lot of people I do think the jury is still out on him. Maybe I just don't want to bring in ANOTHER GM so we can trade away all of Botts guys and implement another system where the new GM has to bring in his own people and waste a season or two getting everything established.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
100% this off-season is the make it or break it time for Botts. Unlike a lot of people I do think the jury is still out on him. Maybe I just don't want to bring in ANOTHER GM so we can trade away all of Botts guys and implement another system where the new GM has to bring in his own people and waste a season or two getting everything established.

Yeah, I am waiting patiently to be impressed with what he does. Let's see it. I feel like a kid about to unwrap birthday gifts about the off-season, about the draft, about prospects, and hopefully about roster acquisitions. So far though, it's like we've been unwrapping socks and underwear on Christmas morning. :biglaugh:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
While I think there definitely needs to be improvement, I still think 20/21 has been/still is the plan. That's when almost all of the dead weight is gone, that's when spots start to really open up for the Olofsson's and the Nylander's and the Asplund's and the CJ Smith's and the Pilut's and the Borgen's. Not to mention other picks and prospects that impress between now and then. More spots open for FA's, UDFA's, trades, etc.

One last big turnover... but this time with mostly young, cost-controlled talent hopefully taking Rochester a little further this year.

And now, as if we needed another built in excuse pointing towards 20/21... giving Krueger a year to do his thing.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Every now and then I lay awake at night, and a thought strays through my head- what is one thing the Botts has done to annoy me? Well, I'm going to start jotting these down from time to time since it will help me cope.

A random Botts annoyance brought to you by my bitter heart:

Botts hand picked Sobotka to be one of this team's veteran leaders. He counted on Sobotka to be a physical force that played hard every shift. Unfortunately, he must've missed watching Sobotka's tape the last season in St Louis. Sobotka is one if the reasons I stopped watching the hockey games towards the end. Game-in-and-game-out he gave a 50% effort 100% of the time. Damn fine find by Botts. He sure brought in a savvy vet the youngsters can learn from.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I'm nervous about the expansion draft. I wonder what kind of favors we'd have to pull to dump Okposo on Seattle.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
While I think there definitely needs to be improvement, I still think 20/21 is the plan. That's when almost all of the dead weight is gone, that's when spots start to really open up for the Olofsson's and the Nylander's and the Asplund's and the CJ Smith's and the Pilut's and the Borgen's. Not to mention other picks and prospects that impress between now and then. More spots open for FA's, UDFA's, trades, etc. One last big turnover, but this time with mostly young, cost-controlled talent hopefully taking Rochester a little further this year.

And now, as if we needed another built in excuse pointing towards 20/21... giving Krueger a year to do his thing.
I just became a STH yesterday. My seat is in Section 309, Row 11, Seat 1. That is the first row of the price point I wanted and I got an aisle seat to boot. It's not hard to figure out they have tons of inventory to unload after literally having a wait list a few days ago. The market for this team is dying real fast and we need to stop being a joke today, not a year or two from now (when Jack would be in his SEVENTH season).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm nervous about the expansion draft. I wonder what kind of favors we'd have to pull to dump Okposo on Seattle.

Pony up the draft picks and be confident in one's scouting staff to refill on UDFA or hit on late-rounders now?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Every now and then I lay awake at night, and a thought strays through my head- what is one thing the Botts has done to annoy me? Well, I'm going to start jotting these down from time to time since it will help me cope.

A random Botts annoyance brought to you by my bitter heart:

Botts hand picked Sobotka to be one of this team's veteran leaders. He counted on Sobotka to be a physical force that played hard every shift. Unfortunately, he must've missed watching Sobotka's tape the last season in St Louis. Sobotka is one if the reasons I stopped watching the hockey games towards the end. Game-in-and-game-out he gave a 50% effort 100% of the time. Damn fine find by Botts. He sure brought in a savvy vet the youngsters can learn from.

The pro scouting and talent assessment side of things is definitely an on-going concern. Vets with dry gear at the end of the night are certainly easy to identify casually.

Reactions: paulmm3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad