Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Matheson being able to handle the puck and his speed is like having another Letang out there. People may not compute that, but it's the same without him having all the accolades and two top stars in front of him all those years.

I'd have both out there. Can certainly bring about reason to have two 1a PP's with who they have.

I don't watch all the other teams (this should be no shock for my posts which show a shocking disregard for the intricacies of Florida or Vancouver or Detroit or whatever).

But I have watched a lot of Boston. And man, I wanted Krug.

I felt our D-men were missing a skating & skill element. Another Letang, but worse defensively (because you'd never be able to get another offensive D as skilled as Letang at his level defensively). So yeah, I knew Krug would be a FA at some point and I hoped we'd position ourselves to get him.

That crazy coot JR went and did it with Matheson. Even more skilled offensively. Slightly lower offensive IQ. Who even knows about the defense. Certainly who knows about the defense in the playoffs.

But I am SWALLOWING crow through the @Honour Over Glory hole right now on Matheson. I just love watching him play. From game...4 he has been a pleasure to watch on the ice.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree, Guentzel and Rust are better with Malkin than they ever were with Crosby. The entire team would benefit from it

Then you still have a really good RW in Kapanen to play with Sid

Whether Jake and Rust are better with Sid or Geno isn't even the point. It's debatable. The issue is Geno is so bad with the leftovers that, if getting the best collectively out of the team is the coach's #1 goal, then it behooves him to test what Sid can do with the leftovers.

Reactions: Andy99 and Banjo64

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Minus the fighting and Nolan Patrick reminds me of early career Tom Wilson. Hopefully he doesn't get much better

He’s really bad. I’d feel bad for the Flyers if they weren’t the Flyers.

It’s also a reminder that those big picks aren’t always homeruns when people say move Malkin or Letang for futures.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Minus the fighting and Nolan Patrick reminds me of early career Tom Wilson. Hopefully he doesn't get much better

You aren't exactly jumping for joy drafting him 1-2. Especially for what picks 3, 4 and 5 ended up being. Ouch.

Tom Wilson would be a pain in the arse but no one would care if he wasn't on a team with Ovy, Backstrom, Kuz, Orlov, Oshie and Vrana.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

It’s also a reminder that those big picks aren’t always homeruns when people say move Malkin or Letang for futures.

I feel like if he hadn't had all those injuries plaguing him he could've been better. But yea since it's the Flyers , im super glad he didn't turn out so far

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

That was a pretty weak draft though. At least at the top. And Patrick has had serious injuries to deal with so....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't watch all the other teams (this should be no shock for my posts which show a shocking disregard for the intricacies of Florida or Vancouver or Detroit or whatever).

But I have watched a lot of Boston. And man, I wanted Krug.

I felt our D-men were missing a skating & skill element. Another Letang, but worse defensively (because you'd never be able to get another offensive D as skilled as Letang at his level defensively). So yeah, I knew Krug would be a FA at some point and I hoped we'd position ourselves to get him.

That crazy coot JR went and did it with Matheson. Even more skilled offensively. Slightly lower offensive IQ. Who even knows about the defense. Certainly who knows about the defense in the playoffs.

But I am SWALLOWING crow through the @Honour Over Glory hole right now on Matheson. I just love watching him play. From game...4 he has been a pleasure to watch on the ice.

I am loathe to say this, because I am NOT making some 'he is a lite version' comparison, but when I watch him, it's like watching an older Paul Coffey. What he could do, even then, offensively was just so breathtaking, but you always held you're breath when he was on the defensive side of the ledger. Similar vibe, for better and worse, watching Matheson.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
You aren't exactly jumping for joy drafting him 1-2. Especially for what picks 3, 4 and 5 ended up being. Ouch.

Tom Wilson would be a pain in the arse but no one would care if he wasn't on a team with Ovy, Backstrom, Kuz, Orlov, Oshie and Vrana.

After picks 3, 4 and 5, it's a pretty weak draft. But man they could've hit it big with those

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am loathe to say this, because I am NOT making some 'he is a lite version' comparison, but when I watch him, it's like watching an older Paul Coffey. What he could do, even then, offensively was just so breathtaking, but you always held you're breath when he was on the defensive side of the ledger. Similar vibe, for better and worse, watching Matheson.

I'm not saying Matheson is Coffey.

But

I think Coffey is the kind of player who so benefitted from goalie pads being a joke and D-men being pylons in his era. What's this, a D-man who can skate? How do we...uh, deal with this?

The key is the Rob Rossi F3 being attuned to when Matheson is jumping into the rush and covering back for him. Matheson and Letang are somewhere between the 3rd and 5th most skilled offensive players on this team. You want them with the puck on their stick.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I was speaking of forwards. And again Patrick hasn't played much to this point. Maybe wait a year or two before we write him off?

It’s rare to see a player at his age suddenly start producing at the rate a 2nd overall should. And it’s not like those injuries weren’t a concern at the time.

Even if you’re talking forwards Pettersson, Suzuki and Necas all look much better.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I was speaking of forwards. And again Patrick hasn't played much to this point. Maybe wait a year or two before we write him off?

I'm not writing him off. He isn't Yakupov.

But at 1-2 you shouldn't be happy with him either.

Neither here nor there, but last time we drafted 1-2 there was a guy named Toes there. Or was it Woes? Whoas?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Can’t wait until we win a cup against the team we deal Sceviour to ala 2015-16.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It’s rare to see a player at his age suddenly start producing at the rate a 2nd overall should.

Even if you’re talking forwards Pettersson, Suzuki and Necas all look much better.
Hasn't Patrick been sidelined due to concussion issues for a vast period of time? If so I'm gonna cut him some slack. And both Pettersson and Suzuki aren't quite where they were, are they? They've themselves have taken a step back.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I watch a great game and then read these:

The line combined for 1 goal at ES and maybe 3 other real solid chances. No real difference than when Sid is their center IMO.

I would rather run Sid with Tanev and Kapanen if it means we get to keep GMR. McCann doesn't have chemistry with Sid and he needs to center the 4th line.

-To sully for slotting McCann over Blueger for 2nd line center. Like wtf is that

And wonder what the F game some people watched...

The funniest thing about Cody Ceci is that we were told what the issues were.

But we were mad, because we were done with JR and his shit. Turns out, everyone that said what Cody's issues were, usage, were right and we know how this coach usually f***s up usage in the worst way (and still continues to) but didn't with this one player. It's what we literally saw with POJ with Letang being an issue and Pettersson being a general issue for being the weakest :eek::eek::eek::eek: on this roster. But Cody with the usage he's been given has been worth his salary and then some.

3rd pairing dman making 3rd pairing money playing well on the 3rd pairing. Shocking!

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Regardless of what happens with Sid and Geno, I hope that 2nd line they used tonight sticks together for a little bit. The 3 of them together have speed to burn and could really give other teams fits.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I watch a great game and then read these:

And wonder what the F game some people watched...

3rd pairing dman making 3rd pairing money playing well on the 3rd pairing. Shocking!

Just because Blueger had a weak game doesn't mean he didn't deserve to slot over McCann and 2nd line center. Blueger has been a better center than McCann, not just this whole season, but since he entered the NHL

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Uh oh no Sid

This didn't age well, lol

RZ5uL94.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just because Blueger had a weak game doesn't mean he didn't deserve to slot over McCann and 2nd line center. Blueger has been a better center than McCann, not just this whole season, but since he entered the NHL

That may be true but you can't deny the game Tanev-McCann-Kapanen just had. McCann should continue to center that line into the next couple of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad