Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
If
I tried this line of thinking here, the "Malkin-Blueger-Rust" scenario...it didn't go over well. But it also frees up Geno as he gets older and his offense still stays potent but his body doesn't allow him to be the traditional C that is responsible at both ends.

But GMR lets you extend that.

I would love to see that tried. I've suggested trying to re-acquire J.Staal and having him try to center Malkin as well, kinda ludicrous but exciting to think about

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The role Malkin plays on GMR is the same role he played on Kunitz-Malkin-Neal. He reads the play and hunts the puck, and just appears in space to pick off a pass or dish it to where he knows they will be. He's also aggressive and shoots when he gets an opportunity. You can't overstate how important chemistry is to Malkin, especially now. Those end to end rushes where he scores by himself are over. I'm not going to get excited because Sullivan will break it up as soon as Crosby comes back.
It's the same when he was with them last season.

One of the most beautiful things (and they did a f*** ton together) was that goal against the Wild where Malkin takes 2 Wild players with him and then ON THE f***ING TAPE to Rust behind him, no look and goal.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
If

I would love to see that tried. I've suggested trying to re-acquire J.Staal and having him try to center Malkin as well, kinda ludicrous but exciting to think about
While I miss Gronk, he seems to love being there and likely will retire there. But if he ever wanted out and back to Pittsburgh, we'd then need to have a contract we can dump them or some insane cap space suddenly freed up.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This was a great overall game. Loved it.

Jarry is rounding into the goalie we knew he could be and not a moment too soon either. Thank god.

Jake-Geno-Rust played one of their best games as individuals as a line tonight. No shocker though...well maybe to Sullivan.

Tanev-McCann-Kapanen was fantastic as a toss together line. I am very intrigued by the performance and look forward to more.

Bleuger's line was okay. I think Tanev is the driver of that line though.

Sceviour-Currie-Angello were all decent. Anxious to see if they can provide more.

Petts-Letang were okay.

Math-Marino were good

Friedman-Ceci were good as well. Super happy for Ceci to score that goal and it was a great debut for Friedman.

I love JR's defensive additions this offseason. Matheson is rounding into the player we hoped he'd be and Ceci has been better than advertised.

I love Kapanen but I hate all of JR's other forward additions - Jank and ERod.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The role Malkin plays on GMR is the same role he played on Kunitz-Malkin-Neal. He reads the play and hunts the puck, and just appears in space to pick off a pass or dish it to where he knows they will be. He's also aggressive and shoots when he gets an opportunity. You can't overstate how important chemistry is to Malkin, especially now. Those end to end rushes where he scores by himself are over. I'm not going to get excited because Sullivan will break it up as soon as Crosby comes back.

Of course he'll break it up, but at least we answered one question tonight:

When you give Malkin the right linemates and then use him appropriately, he's still dominant. Frankly, given the opponent, GMR looked as good tonight as it did last year.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

When you give Malkin the right linemates and then use him appropriately, he's still dominant. Frankly, given the opponent, GMR looked as good tonight as it did last year.

Rust and Jake seemed to feed off of it, too.

Er Jake, at least. Rust has been with Geno much of this year.

Something is off with Sid. Too much system and skilled-grinding-only games. Not enough sizzle. Geno isn't sizzle all the time but he's not entirely predictable.

Reactions: vodeni and KIRK

reino

Jul 20, 2019
The line combined for 1 goal at ES and maybe 3 other real solid chances. No real difference than when Sid is their center IMO.
The thing is Malkin looks absolutely shit without Rust and Guentzel. Maybe Crosby can play better without them? It's worth to try, but they won't because Keeping Crosby happy is more important than team success

Reactions: Return of the Paek

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
LOL at any notion that Sid is at the same level he was during Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis.

Also LOL at Erod = Dupuis

Slightly smaller LOL at Zucker = Kunitz

There is a solution, of course. Take the 2008 approach when you get next level Malkin with 'Sid's wingers'. Not Hossa, but really good. One of your LD and one of Poulin/Legare pretty much gets you there.

That's always my big regret the season the Pens crapped out in the Flyers series. I wished then Shero would've done what he did in 2008, and that was the one season he stood pat (maybe it doesn't make a difference given the Fleury shit show, but I think it does).

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

I wouldn't go that far. They had some great moments but this was their first game in a year. And Malkin isn't the physical beast he was last year. Give them a few more games and you'll see mostly what we saw last year.

Reactions: KIRK

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Literally because he had no choice but to finally go there.

He gets a - for making McCann the C between Tanev and Kapanen when it should have been Blueger, the minutes he kept giving Lafferty as well.

You just know Sully is smug about it. How he somehow had intuition to get GMR together. Should of been a line since day 1.

Blueger got shafted why? I don't get it...putting him with ZAR/Lafferty. Somehow he got WORSE linemates when Sid went out. It's almost comical.

I know coaching is difficult BUT I am fully confident that many of us could construct more effective lines. It's not rocket science.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There is a solution, of course. Take the 2008 approach when you get next level Malkin with 'Sid's wingers'. Not Hossa, but really good. One of your LD and one of Poulin/Legare pretty much gets you there.

That's always my big regret the season the Pens crapped out in the Flyers series. I wished then Shero would've done what he did in 2008, and that was the one season he stood pat (maybe it doesn't make a difference given the Fleury shit show, but I think it does).

I think Zucker would obviously be one of Crosby's wingers is Malkin had Guentzel.

It's probably overthinking it to suggest the other would be anyone except "Kasperi Kapanen."

Although man, I really like Kapanen as a "danger, danger!" guy on the bottom 6. The issue is that Tanev probably doesn't work with Crosby.

Reactions: vodeni and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Zucker would obviously be one of Crosby's wingers is Malkin had Guentzel.

It's probably overthinking it to suggest the other would be anyone except "Kasperi Kapanen."

Although man, I really like Kapanen as a "danger, danger!" guy on the bottom 6. The issue is that Tanev probably doesn't work with Crosby.

Listening to Sullivan. Like every other interview tonight, including the one with Rust, nary a GMR question. Next level, but of course predictable. :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
+++ Jarry
++ Kap
+ GMR
+ All the defensemen
+ Answering quickly after the Flyers goals

--- Lafferty
-- Lafferty's minutes (seriously, he played more than Kap and McCann)
- Lafferty's penalties

There were some other bad plays and getting outshot by that much is usually not a recipe for success, but I'll take a regulation win over the Flyers any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad