Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Apparently, Stevie Wonder was doing the stat counts tonight, because the Pens were credited with a total of 5 takeaways (including 0 for Malkin). :biglaugh:

Reactions: The Old Master

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

The funniest thing about Cody Ceci is that we were told what the issues were.

But we were mad, because we were done with JR and his shit. Turns out, everyone that said what Cody's issues were, usage, were right and we know how this coach usually f***s up usage in the worst way (and still continues to) but didn't with this one player. It's what we literally saw with POJ with Letang being an issue and Pettersson being a general issue for being the weakest :eek::eek::eek::eek: on this roster. But Cody with the usage he's been given has been worth his salary and then some.

Reactions: Jjgeru and KIRK

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I barely noticed Friedman tonight, in a good way, until he shoved his stick up Raffl's ass and drew that retaliatory penalty.
He made a breakout pass with no hesitation after a pass from Ceci in the DZ sometime early in the 2nd or 3rd and that was enough for me :laugh:. He made it quick and confidently. That assist on Ceci’s goal was another confident heads up play.

About as good of a game as you can expect from a dman playing 10 min.

Reactions: KIRK

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
another good thing about team we now have defensam on each pair that could skete with the puck and actually be dangerous in the offensive zone...that is important

Reactions: 66-30-33

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Even when Rust was bumped up to Sid's line, the chemistry between Jake & Rust, I mentioned it a few times in a few GDT's, they just know where each other is on the ice and Geno feeds off both the way the perfect compliment to those wingers, should.

It works well with Geno moving around like a shark. He floats (in a good way) and lets them due their thing. Geno seems more engaged on both sides of the puck with them picking off passes and dishing it to them. He acts as more of a rover vs Sid who is more of a puck hound which is why I think Geno meshes better.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I'm never getting to watch live this season :laugh:
200 (6).gif

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
My opinion on Ceci was that he was a vanilla, stay at home guy, a decent 3rd pairing defenseman. But, that was my opinion of his play in Boucher's rigid defensive system in Ottawa. He's got some skilz.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It works well with Geno moving around like a shark. He floats (in a good way) and lets them due their thing. Geno seems more engaged on both sides of the puck with them picking off passes and dishing it to them. He acts as more of a rover vs Sid who is more of a puck hound which is why I think Geno meshes better.
It's why Sid was a better fit for Kapanen and even Zucker, the issue now should be to add another winger that fits Crosby & Kapanen while Zucker is out and keep GMR together no matter what.

I'd even give McCann-Crosby-Kapanen a whirl before they made a move.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

That whole rover-shark thing makes me think that as he career goes on he may be better suited at wing if we could acquire another 2nd line center

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Our troubles....

For a couple days people are happy....

Jarry isn't human at times..+++
Kappy almost hatty++++
Geno fire+++
Jake+++
Ceci+++
Matheson+++He's starting to look like a keeper for that term. (What I'd call necessary evils)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I don't know if it's better or not, but it's comparable, and it's hard to imagine Sid being worse with say McCann and Kapanen (or some other combo) than Malkin has been, so we are at a point where what's best for the team and what Sullivan wants to do are two different animals. It behooves Sully to test that theory. He won't, of course, but it behooves him to do it . . .

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
That whole rover-shark thing makes me think that as he career goes on he may be better suited at wing if we could acquire another 2nd line center
I tried this line of thinking here, the "Malkin-Blueger-Rust" scenario...it didn't go over well. But it also frees up Geno as he gets older and his offense still stays potent but his body doesn't allow him to be the traditional C that is responsible at both ends.

But GMR lets you extend that.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
The role Malkin plays on GMR is the same role he played on Kunitz-Malkin-Neal. He reads the play and hunts the puck, and just appears in space to pick off a pass or dish it to where he knows they will be. He's also aggressive and shoots when he gets an opportunity. You can't overstate how important chemistry is to Malkin, especially now. Those end to end rushes where he scores by himself are over. I'm not going to get excited because Sullivan will break it up as soon as Crosby comes back.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
+Jarry
+4th line that isn't our old 4th line
+that Ceci goal
+I'm just astonished that Malkin looked good tonight. Can't figure out why.
300px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

-Matheson should have a mustache
-Blueger's play on the Flyers first goal
-Jarry on the Flyers second goal
Rust needs to grow a handle bar.

Reactions: Trade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad