Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
See I’m not so sure that this was even that good of a game. I feel like Philly pretty much carried the play for most of the 1st and 3rd periods. We probably should’ve won the 1st 2 games we played against them at the beginning of the season but Jarry kind of shit the bed. Tonight Philly probably should’ve walked out with 2 points but Tristan had himself a game.

Malkins line had 4 or 5 real solid shifts, but then they had a few where they were hemmed in their zone. Geno had a lazy penalty and a few lazy giveaways. If I’m taking anything away from tonight, it’s that the Tanev, McCann, Kapanen line won the game.

I dunno, maybe I need to rewatch the game, because I didn’t see anything that screamed to me that L1 was any more effective with Geno as the pivot than if 87 had been the center. This was Philly and there is a lot more ice out there than there would be if it was the Islanders.

Lol

Rewatch the game. GMR were stretching the ice completely.

It is a total 200 ft commitment when Malkin is with those guys and their transition and cycling is just on another level then we see from Crosby it’s those two which is all end boards bullshit and transitional play.

If Crosby wants to play cycle cycle fancy pass let him do it with someone less heady then Jake at this point. Because GMR is a powerhouse line that tilts the game in both ends and is infectious for that kind of play throughout the line-up.

To be honest GMR is the perfect line for what Sully wants.

Reactions: bganch17

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The reason why Sid's line tilts the ice with Guentzel on his wing and why Geno's line tilts the ice with Guentzel on his wing is because of Guentzel.

That's the problem. He's the one winger who has the offensive creativity to help whichever center he's on the line with and that center doesn't have to be the main source of offense for the line.

No combination is going to make both our top two lines work without adding another guy who has the playmaking ability Guentzel is. Guys like Rust, Kapanen, Zucker, etc. are great as complimentary types, but they simply don't have the vision/playmaking that Guentzel does to help out whichever center doesn't have Guentzel on his line.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I barely noticed Friedman tonight, in a good way, until he shoved his stick up Raffl's ass and drew that retaliatory penalty.
Yep, exactly what you want from a bottom 4D. Good for him, that assist will be on our highlight reel for this season, no matter how things go.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The reason why Sid's line tilts the ice with Guentzel on his wing and why Geno's line tilts the ice with Guentzel on his wing is because of Guentzel.

That's the problem. He's the one winger who has the offensive creativity to help whichever center he's on the line with and that center doesn't have to be the main source of offense for the line.

No combination is going to make both our top two lines work without adding another guy who has the playmaking ability Guentzel is. Guys like Rust, Kapanen, Zucker, etc. are great as complimentary types, but they simply don't have the vision/playmaking that Guentzel does to help out whichever center doesn't have Guentzel on his line.

This is a cop out.

Reactions: bganch17 and KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Outside of Guentzel and Rust, the only wingers that have every really worked with Crosby been Kunitz and Dupuis - and that was at a point where the was the most dominant player in hockey. But Sid is notoriously difficult to play with, always has been; we could make 100 trades to get wingers for him and I'll bet the vast majority are failures.
The assumption people had was that Malkin was easier to play with until they realized it's not always the case with Zucker as his LW.

I am not a fan of how Malkin's wingers are basically used as placeholders for Crosby's line. I think that's ridiculous to do when you can have 1 consistent line by putting 2 wingers with Geno that work well. Instead, they would rather throw off one line altogether, then rinse and repeat with the RW on the 1st line and watch Jake go through mediocre-hot-cold spells.

I get what you're saying, but I just can't budge on this opinion.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is a cop out.

How is it a cop out? What does that even mean? Sid should be able to produce without Guentzel just because, but Malkin shouldn't be expected to without Guentzel?

You're being hypocritical in your expectations of Crosby and what he should be able to do without a guy like Guentzel on his line. Especially since people want Guentzel AND Rust on Malkin's line.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Others may have already replied, if so, disregard. He was only announced "as longer term". So who knows how long that will be.

Yes. 100%. And they've got to be in regulation. The OT/SO wins are certainly better than losses, but they're giving away WAY too many loser points. I have no doubt their playoff seeding (if they make it) or simply whether or not they qualify for the playoffs will be decided by three points or less. So yeah, they're big.
If we somehow win thursday then Saturday would be a luxury in accumulating points. But make no mistake, we need to win this series of three gamess and accumulate four points minimum and only surrender two.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
How is it a cop out? What does that even mean? Sid should be able to produce without Guentzel just because, but Malkin shouldn't be expected to without Guentzel?

You're being hypocritical in your expectations of Crosby and what he should be able to do without a guy like Guentzel on his line. Especially since people want Guentzel AND Rust on Malkin's line.

Guentzel isn't the only playmaker on this team or individual talent. It's just bullshit.

Tampa has Kucherov, Stamkos, and Point. The rest of their forwards play similar games to our wingers. They make it work.

The issue is our coach wants to make SID work. Not our TEAM work.

GMR works and is a powerhouse line. GCR works when SID and JAKE are playing well and is what it was in 2017 when they aren't.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's weird how Rust suddenly is a winger that "works" with Crosby after the last four years all people said was Rust and Crosby were oil and water because Rust didn't "think the game well enough".
It’s weird how you don’t think that Rust has improved immensely in all facets of the game in the last 4 years.

Reactions: radapex

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Guentzel isn't the only playmaker on this team or individual talent. It's just bullshit.

Tampa has Kucherov, Stamkos, and Point. The rest of their forwards play similar games to our wingers. They make it work.

Guentzel's the only winger on the team who has the vision/playmaking ability to consistently create chances for his center. I'm not sure how you can watch our roster and argue otherwise.

Because they play with each other. Kucherov isn't on a line with Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow while the other talented wingers all play with Stamkos.

What a weird comparison.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Guentzel's the only winger on the team who has the vision/playmaking ability to consistently create chances for his center. I'm not sure how you can watch our roster and argue otherwise.

Because they play with each other. Kucherov isn't on a line with Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow while the other talented wingers all play with Stamkos.

What a weird comparison.

Are you really comparing Kapanen, Rust and Zucker to Coleman and Goodrow?

Palat - Point - Johnson
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos

Where are these powerhouse playmakers?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For the record, I don't even give a f*** if Guentzel and Rust play with Malkin rather than Crosby. That's not my issue with these threads.

My issue is the same people saying it's not fair that Geno doesn't have Guentzel and Rust on his line and that he needs those guys to help him produce, are the same people who think Crosby should be expected to produce and dominate without those guys on his wing.

My point is that whether it's Sid's line or Geno's line, whichever one doesn't have Guentzel on it, is going to struggle because our winger group has too many complimentary types and not enough Guentzel types to make 2 lines work. So unless/until that is fixed, we'll always have 1 line going well and one line in constant "why can't they produce" mode.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Apparently not. People think Sullivan gives the rest of the roster a fair shake or something.
They'd have to be pulling your leg then. Because Sully's agenda is so obvious you could see it from outer space (with a strong telescope).

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's not getting weird. I've been talking about it for a year plus. And it is 100% true.

If you can't see it you're blind.
Mmhhhmm… okay then. I’ll have some of what you’re smoking.
You’re posting like GMR each had 5 points in a massive rout. Dude… they combined for 1 goal at ES against Philly in a game where they were pretty fortunate to walk away with 2 points. The 2nd line out-produced them. Crosby has never and would never get that kind of production with Rust and Jake against Philly of all teams. Am I doing this right?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
For the record, I don't even give a f*** if Guentzel and Rust play with Malkin rather than Crosby. That's not my issue with these threads.

My issue is the same people saying it's not fair that Geno doesn't have Guentzel and Rust on his line and that he needs those guys to help him produce, are the same people who think Crosby should be expected to produce and dominate without those guys on his wing.

My point is that whether it's Sid's line or Geno's line, whichever one doesn't have Guentzel on it, is going to struggle because our winger group has too many complimentary types and not enough Guentzel types to make 2 lines work. So unless/until that is fixed, we'll always have 1 line going well and one line in constant "why can't they produce" mode.

You're missing the philosophical point. Guentzel - Malkin - Rust is the best line we can ice. We should ice it. Tampa's best line they can ice is Palat - Point - Kucherov. Boston's best line is Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta.

They ice the best line. They give their team the best chance to win and the build from there.

Instead we are building around what gives Sid the best line. It doesn't matter if Jake and Rust work with Malkin better. It doesn't matter if McCann is successful in a 2nd line role with lots of offensive minutes. It doesn't matter if Malkin is producing 12 pts in 20 games. Sullivan defaults to his guy Sid because Sid is the golden boy and can do anything and everything.

Frankly, he does the same shit with Letang. Look at how good Letang has been since Sullivan made the adjustment and used Matheson and Marino as the match-up D.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Mmhhhmm… okay then. I’ll have some of what you’re smoking.
You’re posting like GMR each had 5 points in a massive rout. Dude… they combined for 1 goal at ES against Philly in a game where they were pretty fortunate to walk away with 2 points. The 2nd line out-produced them. Crosby has never and would never get that kind of production with Rust and Jake against Philly of all teams. Am I doing this right?

If you watched the game you'd know what effect Malkin's line had tonight. Stats don't tell that tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad