Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It comes down to whether you want to unleash Guentzel/Crosby while Malkin's line is "meh", or... get more out of Malkin's line, even if it takes away from #87. Jake and Sid are so good that I'd stick with them, and leave next Rust to Geno. Besides, if Crosby is your #1C, then it would be best for him to have at least one of them.

I question what Guentzel and Sid is "unleashing". I haven't seen them put together a performance like Guentzel and Malkin have been doing over the past year.

Reactions: bganch17

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
How many 5on5 goals does Sid have playing with Jake this year? One, maybe two? I feel confident in saying Geno even as bad as he's played if given 19 games with Jake could easily top that output. And that's not the only measure obviously. But the idea that GMR is anything but dominant is silly to me. Who knows how long it lasts but there's no evidence currently to suggest it wouldn't be.

Beyond that Sid manages the puck better than Geno, so if he were to assume more of a checking role he's far more apt at doing so. I think Sid would do fine without Jake. But clearly Geno this season has shown he really can't.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I question what Guentzel and Sid is "unleashing". I haven't seen them put together a performance like Guentzel and Malkin have been doing over the past year.
There were a few dominant ones with GCR for sure. For example Jan. 24th against the Rangers.
2 goals for
Sid 68CF%, Jake 64%, Rust 54%. High danger chances 5-0 for Sid.
All 3 with 3 shots.
---------------
Here's another good one: Feb 6th vs NYI

2 goals for
Rust 77CF%, Jake 72%, Crosby 70%
Rust credited with 13 HDCF's vs 1 against :eek:
Rust 8 shots, Jake 3, Sid 3

We need to be careful not to get swept up in recency bias. That being said, GMR is proven from last year and provides good reason to trust in its sustainability.

Reactions: radapex and vodeni

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Nobody has advocated for Sid to be demoted to 3C. Using Sid in the traditional 2C checking center role is not a demotion. It's playing to our center's strengths.
Putting him with Blueger (a natural center) and Tanev or ZAR is certainly advocating for him to be a 3C.

Also, the "checking line" is traditionally the third line.

Line (ice hockey).

So given the terminology you're using and the linemates you're giving him, it's not hard to see why people think you're making him the 3C.

Reactions: radapex

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nobody has advocated for Sid to be demoted to 3C. Using Sid in the traditional 2C checking center role is not a demotion. It's playing to our center's strengths.
100% agree. And the thing is, Sids gonna get the tougher match ups by the opposition. So the GMR line will garner more favorable match ups. And as you stated, it's not like Sid would be playing with curtain jerkers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Putting him with Blueger (a natural center) and Tanev or ZAR is certainly advocating for him to be a 3C.

Line (ice hockey).

So given the terminology you're using and the linemates you're giving him, it's not hard to see why people think you're making him the 3C.
No one believes Sid should be relegated to 3C. I think you're being intentionally obtuse here.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
100% agree. And the thing is, Sids gonna get the tougher match ups by the opposition. So the GMR line will garner more favorable match ups. And as you stated, it's not like Sid would be playing with curtain jerkers.
I mean labeling something 1st or 2nd line is something fans do really. Should be about ice time. If GMR continues to be strong and play more than Sid's unit, I guess at that point we'll call Sid 2C. Until then he's 1C.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Line (ice hockey).

I'm not surprised people are not reading the entirety of my posts.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean labeling something 1st or 2nd line is something fans do really. Should be about ice time. If GMR continues to be strong and play more than Sid's unit, I guess at that point we'll call Sid 2C. Until then he's 1C.
Well, I'm looking more as to what the opposition sends out. The ice time difference will largely be negligible.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think what some are arguing here is that it was one game. GMR did well last year for a couple months, but Guentzel-Crosby has an even longer track record.

Just tap the breaks a bit on the reunion tour.

If Sid is out Thursday and GMR has a good game, then there will be an argument to keeping them together. I'm sure Sid would even be in favor of that if it seems to get Geno going, and you can slot him between McCann and Kapanen for a stretch.

But this team has looked good one night and then like dogshit the next. A game ago everyone sucked. Now one game of GMR is enough to lead the Pens to the promised land? Holy mood swings, Batman!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
There were a few dominant ones with GCR for sure. For example Jan. 24th against the Rangers.
2 goals for
Sid 68CF%, Jake 64%, Rust 54%. High danger chances 5-0 for Sid.
All 3 with 3 shots.
---------------
Here's another good one: Feb 6th vs NYI

2 goals for
Rust 77CF%, Jake 72%, Crosby 70%
Rust credited with 13 HDCF's vs 1 against :eek:
Rust 8 shots, Jake 3, Sid 3

We need to be careful not to get swept up in recency bias. That being said, GMR is proven from last year and provides good reason to trust in its sustainability.

JCR has never been a consistent solution of a line. It was broken up in the playoffs in 2017. And has been broken up many times since. We have yet to see GMR not look dominate and game changing. I think we can say with certainty that it deserves at least a couple games to see if it is truly the powerhouse it has shown to be so far.

At least, that is if our goal is to ice the most competitive line-up and not cater to what Sidney Crosby has done or may do with players.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think what some are arguing here is that it was one game. GMR did well last year for a couple months, but Guentzel-Crosby has an even longer track record.

Just tap the breaks a bit on the reunion tour.

If Sid is out Thursday and GMR has a good game, then there will be an argument to keeping them together. I'm sure Sid would even be in favor of that if it seems to get Geno going, and you can slot him between McCann and Kapanen for a stretch.

But this team has looked good one night and then like dogshit the next. A game ago everyone sucked. Now one game of GMR is enough to lead the Pens to the promised land? Holy mood swings, Batman!
Jake and Sid haven't exactly been that dynamic this season after nearly 20 games. That's a pretty big and very recent sample size right there.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'm not surprised people are not reading the entirety of my posts.
You're taking a natural center who has the team's second best faceoff percentage and putting him on the wing, where he's traditionally struggled. And you're playing a bottom six wing on his offside.

All out of same fantasy to turn Sidney Crosby, an elite playmaker, into a checking line center.

You've wailed and whined about Sullivan catering to Crosby, and now you're willing to completely neuter his offensive game in order to cater to Malkin.

How about finding ways to get both of them going offensively?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Jake and Sid haven't exactly been that dynamic this season after nearly 20 games. That's a pretty big and very recent sample size right there.
And if GMR takes off, then it should stick together. Just saying it's also not exactly ludicrous to keep Guentzel-Crosby together given their extensive history of working well together.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
JCR has never been a consistent solution of a line. It was broken up in the playoffs in 2017. And has been broken up many times since. We have yet to see GMR not look dominate and game changing. I think we can say with certainty that it deserves at least a couple games to see if it is truly the powerhouse it has shown to be so far.

At least, that is if our goal is to ice the most competitive line-up and not cater to what Sidney Crosby has done or may do with players.
Yeah I don't wanna break up GMR before having a long look. I feel like Sid could make it work with Kapanen and McCann (temporarily until they acquire a LW). Could at least tread water. Malkin on the other hand will probably only function with GR.

The new Kapanen line is very intriguing though, albeit 1 game in.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You're taking a natural center who has the team's second best faceoff percentage and putting him on the wing, where he's traditionally struggled. And you're playing a bottom six wing on his offside.

All out of same fantasy to turn Sidney Crosby, an elite playmaker, into a checking line center.

You've wailed and whined about Sullivan catering to Crosby, and now you're willing to completely neuter his offensive game in order to cater to Malkin.

How about finding ways to get both of them going offensively?

Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews. Championship squads have all used their elite playmaker as a "checking line center".

We won a cup with Crosby in that role in 15-16.

I'm not neutering anything. GMR gives teams a nightmare match-up. Especially if you can find some type of consistent third line with Kapanen as the driver on it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Whats you willing to part with?
Hmm tough one. Hall's a rental but this is maybe our last chance to make any noise. If Hall loves it here he could re-sign too and make next year more enjoyable.

Pettersson + McCann + 2021 2nd? I wonder if that's enough. We potentially have Zucker's LTIR money too. Hall does have 1 goal in 20 games this year. Not exactly MVP Hall right now, so maybe the price is at an all-time low.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews. Championship squads have all used their elite playmaker as a "checking line center".

We won a cup with Crosby in that role in 15-16.

I'm not neutering anything. GMR gives teams a nightmare match-up. Especially if you can find some type of consistent third line with Kapanen as the driver on it.
Bergeron played alongside Marchand when the Bruins won the Cup. Toews was with Kane in 2010 and then Saad/Hossa in 2015.

Crosby played the bulk of the minutes in the 2015-16 playoffs with Conor Sheary and Patric Hornqvist.

That's a little different than Blueger and Aston-Reese.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
And I still haven't seen an explanation as to why Teddy Blueger is suddenly playing left wing.

Guy is blossoming into the perfect third line center, the type that this franchise has been desperate to find since Staal left. But yeah, let's make him a wing, which he's sucked at every other time it's been done in the past out of necessity.

This isn't rocket science. If GMR clicks and stays together, you put Crosby between McCann and Kapanen, role with BART as your third line, and try to cobble something together as a fourth line.

Maybe Rodrigues gets another shot with Sid if that line struggles when he returns. And certainly Zucker gets a chance when healthy. But how about we don't saddle a future Hall of Famer with two guys out of position and at least give him guys with some modicum of top six talent to work with.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Hmm tough one. Hall's a rental but this is maybe our last chance to make any noise. If Hall loves it here he could re-sign too and make next year more enjoyable.

Pettersson + McCann + 2021 2nd? I wonder if that's enough. We potentially have Zucker's LTIR money too. Hall does have 1 goal in 20 games this year. Not exactly MVP Hall right now, so maybe the price is at an all-time low.
The cool thing about Hall is that we can keep him if it works out. All you gotta do is trade Zucker this summer and use Petts + Zucker caphit.

Hall-Sid-Kap
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad