Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
View attachment 402654

Basically, Geno works with or without Guentzel. He also works with or without Rust. He's typically above 50% in any combination, meaning that no matter who he plays with he drives possession. Sid has been the opposite; his numbers are good with Guentzel, but without him they're pretty bad.

actually, I think the numbers show that Jake is better with Geno, mainly defensively...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kapenen is not a top 6 winger. He may be some day, but not now. As far as "Crosby also showed chemistry with Kapanen" goes, take a look at the WOWY numbers I posted above. They're getting killed in 5v5 possession playing together, and both are significantly better away from the other.

5v5 possession isn’t everything. Crosby’s GF% is better with Kappy then without.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
If Nashville is ready to really sell, I'd try to get in on Arvidsson, he looks like the mix of Horny's style that Sid could really thrive with and also pluck Cousins from them.

Pettersson + McCann should get that done.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I'm not a fan of Kapanen on the top two lines because I think he is most dangerous on the third line and he doesn't mesh with Crosby. He and Tanev together are like Hagelin back in the day, though Kapanen has an awesome shot and a scoring touch. That speed overwhelms but they perhaps don't have the IQ to play with Crosby. Put them with Blueger. McCann was good there too but I worry about the 4th line.

We need a couple players and if we get them we have the beginnings of something good. But not with a coach that refuses to adjust.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The thing is Malkin looks absolutely shit without Rust and Guentzel. Maybe Crosby can play better without them? It's worth to try, but they won't because Keeping Crosby happy is more important than team success
From an advanced stats perspective, Crosby has been hot garbage without Guentzel and/or Rust the past few seasons. Even since having Kapanen moved to his line they're getting absolutely destroyed in CF% and xGF%, which suggests that their exceptional GF% won't last.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
From an advanced stats perspective, Crosby has been hot garbage without Guentzel and/or Rust the past few seasons. Even since having Kapanen moved to his line they're getting absolutely destroyed in CF% and xGF%, which suggests that their exceptional GF% won't last.

Crosby’s CF% and xGF% has looked great with Rodrigues and Simon the past two years also.

xGF% seems wonky this year anyways.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kap is a top 6 winger in so many ways. But he is being used to function as a secondary winger for two centers that want to control the flow. He is used as a primary driver and puck handler then you have a winger who can score from just about anywhere. His speed off the wing allows him to drive the focus to him and he has options from there. Sid needs to get him the puck as a scorer and not a complement.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Nashville is ready to really sell, I'd try to get in on Arvidsson, he looks like the mix of Horny's style that Sid could really thrive with and also pluck Cousins from them.

I don't think it's a good idea to move MP. I'd prefer moving Dumo if the value is there.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh

Too much and I'm not even a fan of McCann but yikes

EDIT: I'll clarify this response before the "he's scored 30 goals" argument. The Pens lack depth. Their major issue right now is the PK and 4th line. I'd much rather see something lesser occur than trading Petts/McCann. I'd rather do McCann for X+Z

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Sullivan's pet idea of 'pairs' just makes us mediocre throughout the lineup with Sid and Geno not being the players they were.

In Sully’s defense, talking about pairs or trying to make that approach work is also because he doesn’t have the horses to do trios. If he had two explosive such, you’d never hear about pairs. While he certainly tilts towards Sid whenever he feels a change is needed, he knows he cannot leave Geno without support for long. The same will be true for Sid even if Sully gives GMR a chance to stick.

Reactions: SEALBound

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't think it's a good idea to move MP. I'd prefer moving Dumo if the value is there.

Maybe it's fine if you work out a way to get Ekholm and allow the Preds to just dump salary in that trade.

Something still around McCann, Pettersson, and someone else to get Arvidsson, Cousins, and Ekholm. Dump Dumoulin in a separate trade for picks.

Guentzel, Malkin, Rust
Tanev, Crosby, Arvidsson
Aston-Reese, Blueger, Kapanen
O'Connor/Jankowski, Cousins, Sceviour

Ekholm, Letang
Matheson, Marino
POJ/Riikola, Ceci

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Honestly, both.

Zucker did fine with Crosby, it amazes me that Guentzel will find his way back with Crosby though once he's healthy.
Zucker + Crosby has basically been a wash. A little above 50% in shooting metrics, exactly even in goal scoring, and below 50% in expected goal scoring.

upload_2021-3-3_1-9-38.png

Zucker's numbers with Malkin are very similar
upload_2021-3-3_1-10-27.png

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Weak along the boards, easily knocked off the puck, generally just a weak as f*** human being. Also seeing POJ, allowed me to see what Pettersson could be, if he had more skill and having both is not good and so I prefer POJ.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe it's fine if you work out a way to get Ekholm and allow the Preds to just dump salary in that trade.

Something still around McCann, Pettersson, and someone else to get Arvidsson, Cousins, and Ekholm. Dump Dumoulin in a separate trade for picks.

Guentzel, Malkin, Rust
Tanev, Crosby, Arvidsson
Aston-Reese, Blueger, Kapanen
O'Connor/Jankowski, Cousins, Sceviour

Ekholm, Letang
Matheson, Marino
POJ/Riikola, Ceci
Wait, why do we pursue Ekholm? I don't think we need him.

Arvidsson and Cousins would be fine. Dumo and McCann. Maybe we get a draft pick as well.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Weak along the boards, easily knocked off the puck, generally just a weak as f*** human being. Also seeing POJ, allowed me to see what Pettersson could be, if he had more skill and having both is not good and so I prefer POJ.
I like Petts and believe he'll improve over time.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Don't give a shit about the rest but I'm not in favor of breaking up GMR. It balances the team. I don't like the idea of Kapanen on the top line, nor would I put Tanev there as a first option. But if it means we keep GMR then it's better than an ok Crosby line, a shit second line, an ok third line (BART is not that impressive), and a shit fourth line. At some point something has to give. It's all moot anyway, Sullivan will put Guentzel back with Crosby as soon as he comes back.
Just for reference, WOWY numbers have GMR from last season and GCR from this season as very even.
upload_2021-3-3_1-13-6.png

upload_2021-3-3_1-13-30.png

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He's good though with potential to actually be a top pairing D-man if he ate some God damn Wheaties. Get the dude on some Boost or something. 6'4" weighing in as much as my pillow.

POJ and Pettersson are too similar, except POJ has improved on his issues and earned a shot this year. The thing is both are lanky players that are solid in their own end and have an offensive touch, POJ having a far better one. POJ also showed he could bulk up and show up ready. Pettersson is a 4yr veteran that has never been able to, so I don't know why people keep hoping for it.

Also, Pettersson is back to what he was in Anaheim with his offense. Non existent. And defensively, he's a frail stay at home defender that makes 4m/yr that you'd want to see the kind of potential POJ just showed us.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Crosby’s CF% and xGF% has looked great with Rodrigues and Simon the past two years also.

xGF% seems wonky this year anyways.

there's just that small matter of the x vs the no-x with Simon and Erod.

That said: I know we all hate reunions but like...Dom Simon is a good hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad