Value of: James van Riemsdyk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
S*** now were going to have to protect him lol
Or maybe with his value at a high point engineer a three team trade with Carolina and another team . Tho other team would hopefully be looking for scoring. That team could fill goal tending and other needs for Carolina . Carolina sends Hamilton to philly who extends . Right around now I realize with the expansion draft looming philly probably doesn’t want to go 4-4-1 . Sorry

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Man, the desperation to defend one’s own team against all logic has reached impressive levels with this last post.

Have fun guys.

And yeah, Voracek and Giroux have worked out. The argument is Philly signing a disproportionate amount of bad UFA contracts...not that they’ve never been successful.

Again, arguing they got “good value” out of Streit?

There are like two posters in this thread who are arguing entirely against the legions of Philly fans that I’ve met both personally in real life and on this board

The guy's not wrong. HF does enjoy a good sewing circle discussion around our UFA signings but they generally work out pretty well. Timonen, Briere, Bryz (bad), Streit, LeCav (bad), Elliott, JvR, Hayes... I'd say we have one of the better strike rates for UFA signatures going.

And yes, we got value out of Streit. Basically 100 points and then moved him on for Filpulla and a fourth.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
S*** now were going to have to protect him lol
Yeah....I think we both know that won't happen. JVR will eventually cool down and end up where he usually does in points but this hot streak has been fun. But I will say, he has played very well even if the points were not there.

And to add, it's not like he is being dragged along by someone like Couturier. He has done most of his damage with Laughton and Farabee. Been a great 3rd line!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I mean Steve Mason was moved but that was a bad contract.
Mason was not moved. He just was not re-signed a 3rd time.

We traded for him, signed him to a1 year prove it deal for 1.5 million, then a 3 year deal for 4.1 million. Then moved on. And during the 4 full years in Philly he had a .917 SV%. Look at others during that 4 years:

Lundqvist .918
Anderson .918
Dubnyk .918
Andersen .918
Griess .917
Quick .917
Fleury .917
Halak .917

And I did not include Mason's stats after we traded for him 7 games, 1.9o GAA and a .944 SV%. He was well worth trading for and signing twice and never a bad contract.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I mean Steve Mason was moved but that was a bad contract.

Jesus, people need to get their facts straight. Steve Mason was neither moved nor under a bad contract. Mason was a solid goalie for us for years and we chose not to re-sign him at the right time.

Vincent Lecavalier was a pretty bad contract

So you have Bryz and Lecav, anyone else? Most of the NHL has at least that number of bad FA signings.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Man, the desperation to defend one’s own team against all logic has reached impressive levels with this last post.

Have fun guys.

And yeah, Voracek and Giroux have worked out. The argument is Philly signing a disproportionate amount of bad UFA contracts...not that they’ve never been successful.

Again, arguing they got “good value” out of Streit?

There are like two posters in this thread who are arguing entirely against the legions of Philly fans that I’ve met both personally in real life and on this board
giroux has worked out. the flyers got great production out of him and there is only one year left after this season. so it is safe to say, this was a good signing/extension.
voracek so far has worked out, as well. he still has three years left after this season. not really concerned with him, but if he fell of a cliff towards the end of this season, it would look obviously different.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
JVR is playing the best hockey I've ever seen him play. It's like the puck is magnetized to his stick.

Reactions: Tripod

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He looks like he's in far better shape than he's been for a long time as well. Probably not a coincidence.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Jesus, people need to get their facts straight. Steve Mason was neither moved nor under a bad contract. Mason was a solid goalie for us for years and we chose not to re-sign him at the right time.

So you have Bryz and Lecav, anyone else? Most of the NHL has at least that number of bad FA signings.

This whole sidebar is honestly just a poster or two not having their facts straight and then getting bent out of shape when called on it.

Lecavalier's wasn't even that bad. It wasn't a good contract, it was bad, but it's not even close to rating among the league's worst contracts of all time. Neither term nor AAV were particularly problematic, it was Vinny falling off of a cliff his 2nd & 3rd years into the deal that was the problem, and we were still able to move him along with another disappointing asset in Luke Schenn for Weal and a 3rd.

The only all timer we've ever signed was Bryzgalov and that was a decade ago.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Didn't the Flyers have to continue paying Mason after he left the team.
The Jets signed Mason to the bad 2 year deal and had to dump to Habs.

Flyers sold when Mason was starting to show cracks (.915 vs. .908 sv percentage) and did not resign.

Vinny was D- deal and never fit. Bryz was F. If you signed a top 15 free agent pre covid over the last 5 years more times then not you overpaid to acquire. Hayes and JVR salaries are high and Hayes got one more year than I wanted, but they are very good players. And to trade a JVR you will have to acquire salary due to the cap issues in the league. It does not mean you have to take a Loui, Lucic, Neal, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad