Confirmed with Link: Jakub Vrana in Player Assistance program (01.03.23 in GR for conditioning)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wrong my Girlfriend works at a health crisis center, And not everyone that takes illegal drugs or alcohol or medication has mental health issues, Sure some do and some don't. I love to drink doesn't make me a mental health issue
That quote was from NIMH website, but I'm sure she knows more, lol. My dad worked there for a dozen years or so in Bethesda, MD.

Substance abuse IS a mental health issue. Drinking itself is not an issue (at least in my mind), but abuse is. I've known some serious alcoholics in my life. It's when you overdo something to the point where it has serious impact on your life.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Let's hope he completely recovers and comes back well from whatever it is that he is dealing with.
As far as the season is concerned, Wings are basically one long term injury away to the top 6 forward or top 2 D from being in on Bedard

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That quote was from NIMH website, but I'm sure she knows more, lol. My dad worked there for a dozen years or so in Bethesda, MD.

Substance abuse IS a mental health issue. Drinking itself is not an issue (at least in my mind), but abuse is. I've known some serious alcoholics in my life. It's when you overdo something to the point where it has serious impact on your life.
Just seems kind of funny that he was playing one day, And then the next he's out I kind of wonder if he had a nervous breakdown. That can happen to players that are highly stressed.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It's my feeling that quite a variety of things can be an addiction. When an activity is done as a coping mechanism so much so that it interferes with general quality of life in most cases that is an addiction. Overeating, videogames, exercise are a couple of non-substance related examples. It's not the addiction itself but what the addiction activity helps calm. Typically something very painful and overwhelming. Help isn't just someone telling us to stop the addiction. The addition itself is a symptom. Sometimes people need help working through something that isn't their fault but they are blaming themselves, coping with feelings of shame for not reaching parental or societal expectations, periods of sustained grief and loss, childhood traumas that left deeply rooted triggers. These are just a couple of blanket examples, the pain and the struggle are real for many people and can lead to isolation where the behaviors are hidden from others and compound and deepen. I literally can't love people more when they reach out for help to get better. We are not biologically designed to face things alone no matter how many narratives there are to the contrary. Especially in a sport where being tough is literally an advantage. Help really does help and if the first help doesn't help please try help again. Recovery is like dating, gotta keep looking to find the right one. Anyway lots of complicated stuff here wishing you all the mental wellness that we all deserve.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Oh? You also come from a family full of players as well as doctors?

STFU.
I come from a family of players who became doctors after they were done playing and then after they saw a couple younger players come in with their issues, decided to strap the skates back on. One of them can even lower or raise his cholesterol at will. Why would he raise it, you ask? So he can lower it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Wrong, Not everyone with substance abuse has mental health issues. Some do some don't. I come from a family of Drs that deal with this very thing.
Who cares? This thread is about Vrana entering the Player Assistance Program.

Why get into a pissing contest whether it should be considered a mental health issue or not?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
As someone who typically has little sympathy for celebrities when it comes to privacy (their social contract says they give that up when they become a celebrity in a country that both pays them well and idolizes them way too much), I do have a line, and it's health, mental or physical, or the welfare of a child. Frankly, I don't want to know anything more about this Vrana situation unless it's from Jakub Vrana himself.
100% I agree with this. Honestly, I kind of don't care to dig for information if a guy is out and they say "personal reasons". I don't think you should have to be called onto the carpet by "fans" if you've given your team notice. Like the thing with Larkin last year, that sat very wrong with me. If they say personal reasons and you don't see the team raising a stink about it (so, this excludes something like Yoenis Cespedes just up and vanishing), that should be sufficient.

Like you are saying Jaster, the leagues should walk the walk on being mindful of the mental and physical health of their employees.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yup... for every other injury, where information would be useful, all they give is this idiot "upper body" or "lower body" ...but when a player enters this kind of program, you make it public? :banghead:

If I couldn't read "2022" on the calendar, I would guess it's still the 50s or 60s ...

When I implement a program like that, why not just agree on actually lying about the "injury"? To give the player real privacy? List him as LTIR for "upper body", give a timetable of 3 month (just to have one, which isn't too short and won't attract too many questions), and that's it.

If a player had a previous injury, just pick that and sell it as "re-injured". It's not that complicated..
The league is giving the equivalent of "upper body injury" by just saying he's entered the program.

I understand wanting to protect the players privacy but imagine if they said it was an upper body injury and the endless speculation by fans and the media as to what the injury was, what treatment he's getting, when he will return. God forbid someone see him out in the world and he doesn't look injured.

This basically shuts all that down. It is unfortunate the player loses some agency to control what is made public, but that sort of comes with the job regarding your health and well being.

Reactions: OneMoreTry

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
The league is giving the equivalent of "upper body injury" by just saying he's entered the program.

I understand wanting to protect the players privacy but imagine if they said it was an upper body injury and the endless speculation by fans and the media as to what the injury was, what treatment he's getting, when he will return. God forbid someone see him out in the world and he doesn't look injured.

This basically shuts all that down. It is unfortunate the player loses some agency to control what is made public, but that sort of comes with the job regarding your health and well being.

I guess there are ways to sell that, so that it could work out. Say he's got an irregular heartbeat, out indefinitely. If someone sees him somewhere, no big deal, walking around and professional sports are two different things. If questions occur, you can extend it by saying surgery isn't recommended, but the chosen therapy is still ongoing.

Remember the NBA player, I guess it was Chris Bosh in Miami, forced to retire due to blood clots? No medical clearance, no play. The guy could've been away for months with whatever personal/mental issue and nobody would've known.

But I get your point, if it somehow came out, and you couldn't control it.. like the first report being some yellow press garbage.. then you better release it yourself.

acetehubernoob

Jun 28, 2011
I thought there was something odd in that smile he had after his goal. I've known a lot of addicts and unbalanced folks in my life, and my warning radar bleeped. Good luck, sir, whatever it is!
Or you know, its hard to be happy 10 seconds after watching Bert's hand explode...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My finnish Capitals fan friend told that there's something at Czech media about addiction to pain-killers after his several injuries.

I kind of hope this would be true. Many NHL guy have gone same ways, but it's very fixable addiction problem.

I really hope it's something like this.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
As someone who has been married to a recovering addict for 8 years, I can tell you that there is no one-size-fits-all way these situations go and that things can seemingly be going really, really well for long periods of time and then go off the rails real fast.

Be thankful for your stretch of sobriety and I hope you continue to be strong when life comes at you.
One day at a time bud and thank you.

Reactions: spiritfan8

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
NHL Goals/60 since Vrana was traded to Detroit:

1666291633676.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My finnish Capitals fan friend told that there's something at Czech media about addiction to pain-killers after his several injuries.

I kind of hope this would be true. Many NHL guy have gone same ways, but it's very fixable addiction problem.

I really hope it's something like this.
Oxycodone based pain killers are indeed very addictive, I was popping them faster than prescribed. Finished the bottle, and that was it though because I knew I'd get addicted. Pain doesn't go away, but you don't give 2 shits about anything including the pain.

I don't seem to have as much of an issue with hydrocodone, probably because it doesn't really do much for me other than as a cough suppressant. Had a doc prescribe cough syrup with hydrocodone all the time before the "opioid epidemic".

I just take ibuprofen for pain now.

Reactions: SoupNazi

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Thought something was weird in the NJ game. He picked the shit out of that corner and then only played 11 minutes. He appeared, facially, fine. But something else was there and i assumed Saturday that it was an injury or illness.

In any sense, i hope the guy is OK. This is going to be a rollarcoaster season. Hopefully he's fine.

But, to bring in some different light to the table - this is the ideal time for a kid to emerge. You have that chance for a top 6 spot. No Fabbri. No Bertuzzi. No Vrana. (that's almost a second line on a lot of teams). Zadina. Veleno. Soderblom. Maybe Berggren. You want a job? this is your time.

Those young kids get their chance.

f*** man i had a feeling it was something mental. probably cause ive been dealing with it for 13 years and seen some of the signs. it worse then any physical injury especially the recovery if you even can. help is hard to ask for and hard to find and when you do find it, theres usually a wait. so im very glad hes getting everything he needs. i wouldnt be upset if he never played another game in his life as long as hes living, healthy, and happy. < mental health
He can get the best help.

Get well soon.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Oxycodone based pain killers are indeed very addictive, I was popping them faster than prescribed. Finished the bottle, and that was it though because I knew I'd get addicted. Pain doesn't go away, but you don't give 2 shits about anything including the pain.

I don't seem to have as much of an issue with hydrocodone, probably because it doesn't really do much for me other than as a cough suppressant. Had a doc prescribe cough syrup with hydrocodone all the time before the "opioid epidemic".

I just take ibuprofen for pain now.
So after the pain goes away they still "crave" the pills? I never understand what was the purpose of taking them after the pain is gone?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So after the pain goes away they still "crave" the pills? I never understand what was the purpose of taking them after the pain is gone?

The "purpose" is that they get you high. It can be a very pleasant experience. That experience is highly addicting if you have a certain brain chemistry.

Prescription painkiller abuse, most notably OxyContin has been an epidemic for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad