Confirmed with Link: Jakub Vrana in Player Assistance program (01.03.23 in GR for conditioning)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So after the pain goes away they still "crave" the pills? I never understand what was the purpose of taking them after the pain is gone?
Because it gets all of your problems out of your mind. You go into complete "don't give a shit" mode.

Homeless? Do some opioids, and you don't give a shit. I mean I did absolutely nothing but veg out the entire time I was on that prescription. It was a nice extended weekend, lol. I had 2 weeks worth that I went through in 4 days. If I got another batch I probably would have OD'ed. It takes some self awareness to say "shit, I need to get off this stuff". So good for Vrana, because he's there now. There's hope.

Reactions: OKR

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Wrong my Girlfriend works at a health crisis center, And not everyone that takes illegal drugs or alcohol or medication has mental health issues, Sure some do and some don't. I love to drink doesn't make me a mental health issue
Drinking, particularly in excess, can absolutely be a mental health issue.
Wrong, Not everyone with substance abuse has mental health issues. Some do some don't. I come from a family of Drs that deal with this very thing.
Tell us more about your credentials.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The substance is addictive in a similar way heroine or cocaine is. It changes your brain chemistry and your body develops a need for it.
There is physical and psychological dependence. The psychological dependence occurs quickly with certain drugs like oxycodone. You're addicted to it long before your body develops a need for it. Trust me, I know from experience.

Oxycodone is a synthetic opioid manufactured from thebaine which is extracted from poppy plants. Heroin is also derived from poppy plants. Real similar stuff, a lot of pill poppers wind up becoming heroin addicts.

Tell us more about your credentials.
He disputed what I copied from NIMH website which is hilarious, unless he discusses it directly with his family there's no way he would know, lol. Medical knowledge is not hereditary, my dad was a doctor too, PhD and MD. Worked at NIH and NIMH which are on the same campus.

Addiction is considered a mental health issue by NIMH. Maybe he can have his dad teach him how to use Google.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Hopefully (not hopefully) the kid just got addicted to some pain killers after his many injuries....

Get well Jakub. We are all rooting for you to be able to come back better than ever.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
He disputed what I copied from NIMH website which is hilarious, unless he discusses it directly with his family there's no way he would know, lol. Medical knowledge is not hereditary, my dad was a doctor too, PhD and MD. Worked at NIH and NIMH which are on the same campus.

Addiction is considered a mental health issue by NIMH. Maybe he can have his dad teach him how to use Google.
I frankly don't know whether it's hilarious or sad that in 2022 people still don't admit that addiction is a mental illness.

acetehubernoob

Jun 28, 2011
we're just assuming all this painkiller stuff right? its not actually out in the open?
Yes. We are just assuming. Based on the limited things we know about Jakubs personal life, getting addicted to painkillers honestly makes the most sense.

As for this thread, I'm not an admin/mod nor do I pretend to be but it might be time to close this thread. It's just become arguing about who knows the most about addiction...

We get it, we all have 17 family members who are addicts, we all have 10 family members who are nurses or doctors.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Man this is a kick in the nuts. I love this kid, one of my favorites on a team suddenly (in the last few years) full of exciting players. Physically recovered from everything, fresh season, then this.

Whelp there goes my 39 goals for Vrana prediction, and my Most Awesome HFBoards Commenter award, and the attendant $1 million cash prize.

What's that, it's the Nobel Prize that comes with $1M? The very devil you say, sir. I'll have to PM Bench to clear up this confusion.

In the meantime I just hope Vrana gets the help he needs and comes back at 100% as soon as he can, as everyone here does. And somehow manages to squeeze in 38 more goals before the end of the season.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Prescription painkiller abuse, most notably OxyContin has been an epidemic for decades.
9cfb71df11de5d0e11cf07cbd51a1253.gif

Some people habitate under large stones.

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Yes. We are just assuming. Based on the limited things we know about Jakubs personal life, getting addicted to painkillers honestly makes the most sense.

As for this thread, I'm not an admin/mod nor do I pretend to be but it might be time to close this thread. It's just become arguing about who knows the most about addiction...

We get it, we all have 17 family members who are addicts, we all have 10 family members who are nurses or doctors.
yea but assuming could be a silly thing to do. didnt Ingram enter the problem for OCD? maybe im wrong.

most of the people commenting like the example you said are nonsensical individuals. anyone who makes something into a measuring contest or an 'i know more cuz ___' in that situation is mostly spewing a one-sided bias.

anyway, hope he gets better. sucks we dont have him and it sucks for him to not have the team as an outlet. now it also makes you wonder.. if we say he's addicted to pain meds, is our team doctor's liable for this? i guess we should watch to see if they change doctors or medical staff members.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The substance is addictive in a similar way heroine or cocaine is. It changes your brain chemistry and your body develops a need for it.

I once got addicted on some pain-killer after serious pancreatis pain and get rid of it with an easy mathematical way.

The receipt was to take 6 pills per day, when I had pains. When the pain was gone, I tried instantly to be one day without the pills, and got horrible feelings. Saw some monster dreams and was just having horrible feeling of fear and fear of death. That was damn scary.

Had to take those pills again, to get rid of that feeling of fear. And after few days, just on my own idea, started taking them 1 per day less. 6-5-4-3-2-1. After six days there was no bad feelings, and was out of the addiction. Rest of the pills I did throw to trash can, and that was it.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I once got addicted on some pain-killer after serious pancreatis pain and get rid of it with an easy mathematical way.

The receipt was to take 6 pills per day, when I had pains. When the pain was gone, I tried instantly to be one day without the pills, and got horrible feelings. Saw some monster dreams and was just having horrible feeling of fear and fear of death. That was damn scary.

Had to take those pills again, to get rid of that feeling of fear. And after few days, just on my own idea, started taking them 1 per day less. 6-5-4-3-2-1. After six days there was no bad feelings, and was out of the addiction. Rest of the pills I did throw to trash can, and that was it.
When I quit smoking, I used the patch.
I cut the patch into smaller strips each day until I quit
Using their system... you'd never get off it without some bumpy days

Reactions: Macoun

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
When the painkiller stuff came out with with former players like Kessler and Quincey speaking about it, they said every guy in an nhl locker room in on a painkiller.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
When the painkiller stuff came out with with former players like Kessler and Quincey speaking about it, they said every guy in an nhl locker room in on a painkiller.
They were talking about Toradol, which is an anti-inflammatory. Lehner was a little more blunt:

"He claims that teams would hand out opioids as "sleeping pills" for their trips, the kind of opioids that can lead to a dependency building in just a few short weeks."

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So after the pain goes away they still "crave" the pills? I never understand what was the purpose of taking them after the pain is gone?

As to why people take them without pain. Well they get you high as f***. Why do people take heroin? They're pretty close to the same feeling.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because it gets all of your problems out of your mind. You go into complete "don't give a shit" mode.

Homeless? Do some opioids, and you don't give a shit. I mean I did absolutely nothing but veg out the entire time I was on that prescription. It was a nice extended weekend, lol. I had 2 weeks worth that I went through in 4 days. If I got another batch I probably would have OD'ed. It takes some self awareness to say "shit, I need to get off this stuff". So good for Vrana, because he's there now. There's hope.
Damn that sounds like f***ing hell smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad