Confirmed with Link: Jakub Vrana in Player Assistance program (01.03.23 in GR for conditioning)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hoping he gets the help he needs and comes back better than ever, whenever he is ready

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
This is NOT a playoff team without Bert & Vrána. Anyone who says otherwise is far too optimistic. They lose another top player and will be a bottom 3 team. Only hope of playoffs now is to tread water until they return back to the lineup. Such awful luck. Fully healthy they had a legitimate shot at the wildcard.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is NOT a playoff team without Bert & Vrána. Anyone who says otherwise is far too optimistic. They lose another top player and will be a bottom 3 team. Only hope of playoffs now is to tread water until they return back to the lineup. Such awful luck. Fully healthy they had a legitimate shot at the wildcard.
Buddy, we're 2-0-1 and have looked solid. Let's pump the brakes a bit and let the season play out. Good thing Yzerman signed Perron, Copp, Kubalik, and good thing Elmer has emerged as a legit NHL player, and we still have Berggren ready to step in.

Chill man and enjoy the hockey.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I really wish they did just say jakub will be out indefinitely instead of basically telling the world he has some kind of mental issue now.
I hate the way everyone moralizes over everything.
But there's a good argument to be made about not hiding these issues because of the stigma it creates.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I really wish they did just say jakub will be out indefinitely instead of basically telling the world he has some kind of mental issue now.
It's a substance abuse or mental health issue, This doesn't tell us which one it is. So don't go out and say it's a mental health issue when you have 0 facts to back it up. Perhaps he has a drug or alcohol problem we don't know about. Either way it's none of our business. He'll be back when he gets cleared of whatever issue he has.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's a substance abuse or mental health issue, This doesn't tell us which one it is. So don't go out and say it's a mental health issue when you have 0 facts to back it up. Perhaps he has a drug or alcohol problem we don't know about. Either way it's none of our business. He'll be back when he gets cleared of whatever issue he has.
"A substance use disorder (SUD) is a mental disorder that affects a person's brain and behavior, leading to a person's inability to control their use of substances such as legal or illegal drugs, alcohol, or medications."

So it's correct to assume it's a mental health issue since substance abuse IS a mental health issue.

Reactions: brett89

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
Is it just me or does that seem negative in some way? You'd expect it to say something closer to "We wish him the best and for his privacy we will not comment further." It just seems really odd to me, maybe a bad pr person? The wording is just super strange for a corporate thing. I'm also very high right now so it could be that also :D

It could have been worded better, and sounds a little too cold. I get what you’re saying.

Reactions: Konnan511

Kamaya Painters

Nov 8, 2018
Normalize dealing with mental issues or drug problems. It shouldn't be looked on as that much different than dealing with a physical injury.
He needs to listen to Brantt Myhres interview on Cam & Strick's podcast to really understand how a hockey player with mental and drug issues thinks and how the programme works. I think everyone should.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
"A substance use disorder (SUD) is a mental disorder that affects a person's brain and behavior, leading to a person's inability to control their use of substances such as legal or illegal drugs, alcohol, or medications."

So it's correct to assume it's a mental health issue since substance abuse IS a mental health issue.
Wrong my Girlfriend works at a health crisis center, And not everyone that takes illegal drugs or alcohol or medication has mental health issues, Sure some do and some don't. I love to drink doesn't make me a mental health issue

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wrong, Not everyone with substance abuse has mental health issues. Some do some don't. I come from a family of Drs that deal with this very thing.

Then with such qualifications you should know that the DSM-V lists such addiction as a disorder called substance use disorder (SUD).

DSM-V is the standard classification of mental disorders used by mental health professionals in the United States.

While SUDs and other mental disorders commonly co-occur, that does not mean that one caused the other.

Perhaps this is where the confusion rests. While SUD can exist independently of other issues, please note even alone it is diagnosed as a mental health disorder by medical professionals.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Good that this has happened near the start of the season.

Good for Jakub as it gives him a greater chance of dealing with whatever he's struggling with before season pressures only exacerbate things.

Good for the wings as it will give them a clearer picture where they stand vis a vis points, playoff contention etc, rather than making roster/trade decisions only for the issue to then come to a head, and possibly in a bigger way after that.

Most importantly Kudos to Jakub for recognising and seeking help with whatever the issue is.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't really care about this season anymore until I get some positive news about Vrana.

That's the feeling right now. :( I feel very sad and think I could not be pumped up about games for a while.

This is the kid I hoped most good of all our guys and it just went worse. Nothing is more unfair.

I hope the team will respond with some positive way, like that - 98 team played for Vladdy. That would be something.

Hope nothing but best for Jakub.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Yup... for every other injury, where information would be useful, all they give is this idiot "upper body" or "lower body" ...but when a player enters this kind of program, you make it public? :banghead:

If I couldn't read "2022" on the calendar, I would guess it's still the 50s or 60s ...

When I implement a program like that, why not just agree on actually lying about the "injury"? To give the player real privacy? List him as LTIR for "upper body", give a timetable of 3 month (just to have one, which isn't too short and won't attract too many questions), and that's it.

If a player had a previous injury, just pick that and sell it as "re-injured". It's not that complicated..

Reactions: DamonDRW

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yzermans been around the block, he knows how to deal with this a little bit. I'm glad now the kids leaving the team for help and not being traded.

Hope things come up more right than not when he comes back to the team. Best thing he could of done before life changing issues hit.

Just happy he'll be a Red Wing still.

Reactions: K1900L and Henkka

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Is it just me or does that seem negative in some way? You'd expect it to say something closer to "We wish him the best and for his privacy we will not comment further." It just seems really odd to me, maybe a bad pr person? The wording is just super strange for a corporate thing. I'm also very high right now so it could be that also :D
It came across as very cold and lacking support.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yup... for every other injury, where information would be useful, all they give is this idiot "upper body" or "lower body" ...but when a player enters this kind of program, you make it public? :banghead:

If I couldn't read "2022" on the calendar, I would guess it's still the 50s or 60s ...

When I implement a program like that, why not just agree on actually lying about the "injury"? To give the player real privacy? List him as LTIR for "upper body", give a timetable of 3 month (just to have one, which isn't too short and won't attract too many questions), and that's it.

If a player had a previous injury, just pick that and sell it as "re-injured". It's not that complicated..
Make what public? This program is literally a catch-all for anything not physically hampering a player from playing, but they shouldn't be playing. That's it.

That's why you shouldn't read anything into it because you or I or anyone don't know what's going on here.

And even then these are things that should not be hidden away to further the stigma that has been over mental, emotional, substance ailments since the 50s and 60s.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It came across as very cold and lacking support.

I'd wonder if part of it is to help head off media asking questions. The more black and white the line is the easier it is to just look at a reporter and tell them it's not open for discussion. Also, leaves no room for interpretation.

Regardless, good luck to Vrana on dealing with whatever he's having issues with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad