Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It’s been confirmed by both teams most connected and respected writers. Columbus had a deal for Chychrun at the draft (probably 12th overall +) but the Jackets have a habit of demanding to temp check players before blockbusters (history of being burned). AZ liked the deal enough that they let it happen. Chychrun camp wasn’t into it. Deal was dead.

Funny thing is then Columbus signed Gaudreau and suddenly Chychrun has a change of heart. Only it’s too late. Fast forward and now the Jackets are in last place. But Chychrun is probably ready to go anywhere at this point.

So who knows?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s been confirmed by both teams most connected and respected writers. Columbus had a deal for Chychrun at the draft (probably 12th overall +) but the Jackets have a habit of demanding to temp check players before blockbusters (history of being burned). AZ liked the deal enough that they let it happen. Chychrun camp wasn’t into it. Deal was dead.

Funny thing is then Columbus signed Gaudreau and suddenly Chychrun has a change of heart. Only it’s too late. Fast forward and now the Jackets are in last place. But Chychrun is probably ready to go anywhere at this point.

So who knows?

1st, 2nd, Pickering tho

Reactions: Zbynek

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

So who knows?

Totally unrelated but I remember all the posts you made about how OEL demands premium assets and wouldn't be given away since he was still a top pairing defenseman. This was during the OEL to Vancouver discussions.

Everytime I see your name it's just pain... :laugh:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
To Arizona:
2023 Boston 1st Round Pick
2024 Toronto 1st Round Pick
2023 Florida 2nd Round Pick
2024 Leafs 4th Round Pick
Topi Niemela/Fraser Minten
Josh Mahura

To Florida:
Jakob Chychrun
Justin Holl

To Toronto:
Aaron Ekblad (35% retained by Arizona)

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I’d say there’s at least a 1 in 3 shot it was the player.

He asked for a trade 16 months ago. The team waited until the deadline and he got hurt and they couldn’t deal him. On clean out day he made it clear that he expected to be dealt over the summer. He wasn’t. Then in training camp he made some very Frank comments about not wanting to be in Arizona. This reportedly caused some friction in the locker room and made for an awkward situation that wasn’t smoothed over until he returned and started playing his guts out.

Now he’s been back, he’s been performing, he’s been a good soldier. Yet the holiday freeze came and went. Now the deadline is approaching and his coach is playing him 30 minutes in meaningless back to back road games. And he’s maybe thinking “Why am I killing myself for this club? Why doesn’t this GM stop effing around and take care of this business? Is this entire mess going to repeat itself AGAIN?”

It’s not illogical to think that this situation has boiled over from the player’s perspective. The team approached him 16 months ago to ask if he was onboard with a rebuild. He told them no and asked for a trade 16 months ago. This has been a huge distraction in his career and in his life and with his personal relationships.

Look how sick of all this us fans are. You don’t think that it’s 1000x worse for the man himself?

Of course there’s a very real chance it was the player. Also, they may have discussed this in training camp or when he returned from injury or when the holiday freeze passed. They very well may have agreed that two weeks prior to the deadline he’d sit. Who knows?

—————

Now, why would the team handle it how they did? Why just a single “trade related reasons” tweet from their PR team and then no further comments whatsoever?

There could be many reasons. I’ve heard some rumors I won’t get into here (regarding timing of cleanup surgeries, etc) And the Coyotes independent media has certainly insinuated that it’s because it was the player. I really don’t know.

This would make sense if the player took his ball and went home. The team obviously would NOT want that to be known either officially or unofficially. They’re trying to protect the value of the asset. They lose leverage and they lose face if he just went home.

If this was purely on the GM’s terms or amicably and mutually agreed to, would might have, but not necessarily, been given some statement from hockey ops. We weren’t. Only the coach has spoken about it. And what his said was vague and somewhat contradictory.

The team might handle it like this no matter what. But they’d definitely handle it like this if it was the player.

————-

I think it was probably the team. Most likely.

There’s a chance the GM was ticked at the coach for playing him 30 minutes in his last game and maybe that’s why the coach was trotted out to answer questions that nobody had been able to ask the GM or player.

There’s a chance that all sides knew that if we got to mid-February without a trade he was going to be shut down and this surprised nobody internally.

There’s also a chance that the player has finally had enough and just went home.

All of these are realistic.

————-

Spare me the “you really think this is how it works dude” stuff.

Normally, if a player walks away a team would file a grievance and terminate his contract. This isn’t normally. Do you really think Arizona wants to terminate his contract whether he’s refusing to play or not? Do you really think they’d want to amplify that kind of drama with the league or the media while they’re attempting to maintain leverage in trade negotiations and extract maximum value for the asset? Do you think they’d really want to appear desperate at a time like this?They’ve had enough controversy.

I’m not ruling anything out. It all seems plausible to me. And that’s because I’ve been paying extremely close attention to this since the beginning.

no it doesn’t

Nice argument. It absolutely does.

You can sit your best players, causing a tank. That’s garbage.

I’ll avatar bet you that we’ll see a rule to address this by next year? (Confirming they agree.)

Kaliev is already assigned a future goal scorer position and is off the table for trades.
We already went through the list of availables so many times.
What is the point of asking again and again?

Just as a reminder, off the table"
1st,23, Byfield, Clarke, Kaliev, Grans, Fagemo,
Roster player: Kempe, Vilardi, Kupari

At this point, a trade has to include either Durzi or Spence for cap reasons.

Any trade proposal including those assets will result in automatic refusal as it happen over the last 2 years.
This is not my idea, it's just my experience from former threads regarding Kings trades and management comments from the Kings side.

Ahahahahahahahhahahaah

Yikes

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Scott Morrow + 1st + 2nd for Chychrun. Chychrun gets to go on a Cup run with Carolina. Arizona gets their price. Then Carolina deals Chychrun to Columbus or Buffalo at the Draft to recoup futures.

Similar concept to Arizona just keeping him until the offseason. Except Chychrun gets to have more fun, Carolina gets defensive depth and they assume the injury risk moving forward.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
"Its year 2025, and Chuchryn hasnt played a game since debruari 2023. Meet Jacob after the break."

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
My prediction.

Saturday March 18 JC is put back into play Vs. Chicago.

Monday March 27 JC is injured in Edmonton.

Friday March 31 JC is on the sidelines rooting for the Dallas game.

cast2jc.jpg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Gotta think Colombia re-enters the chat with LA’s first round pick

Makes the most amount of sense.

& Arizona should really think about selling him if they are getting anything close to 2 1st rounders in value.

Moving forward they aren’t getting that.
The term is getting shorter and so damm many teams have gotten themselves out of the race to be able to pay anywhere close to the price

Long enough to get LA’s 1st and Ceulemans/Mateychuk? :dunno:

LA 1st+ Ceulemans and just call it s day.

It would also leave Columbus with an insane depth on the blueline.
Werenski- Chychrun as proven guys.
Jiricek/Mateychuk/Svozil coming up.
Blankenburg/Peeke/Boqvist in the middle

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Columbus is dumb enough to sell the future for Chychrun then they need a new GM. This is a guy who has publicly said that he wants to play for a contender and is only signed for 2 more years. Columbus will not be a contender in the next 2 years so he will walk as a UFA. Would be really stupid for them to do it.

Trading for Chychrun wouldn’t hurt Columbus prospect pool basically one bit.

2023 top5 pick(most likely)
Kent Johnson
Sillinger
Chinakhov
Marchenko
Jiricek
Svozil
Mateychuk
Ceulemans
Dumais
Tarasov

Take out Ceulemans from that list and it’s still top3 in the league.

Columbus needs to start winning next year and Chychrun is far better option than giving money& term to a declining +30y Dman

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Jarmo would have to be barking mad to trade for Chychrun now when the Blue Jackets are last in the league and have the best percentage odds to get Bedard.

Importantly, even if they lose the lottery they would be guaranteed a top 3 pick and a future top line C in Carlsson/Fantilli.

Only 2 points separates them from the Sharks at 29th, so it's not like they have that 32nd spot locked up either.
I’m sure they can hold Chychrun out for “draft pick related reasons”

Reactions: Homesick

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have us here in Ottawa still coming in...Our first ,Greig and another prospect or two is a pretty competitive offer

Reactions: Kaizen

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Gotta think Colombia re-enters the chat with LA’s first round pick
Reporter: Bill, it was reported that you were originally asking for multiple high value assets in exchange for Chychrun. I’ve gotta’ ask, how did you go from that to accepting Columbia’s offer of future considerations?

Armstrong (sniffing profusely and talking fast): Well, ya’ know, the future is worth considering, ‘cause it’s like, the future, and the future is all “waaaaaahhhhhh!” Ya’ know? And you can’t put a price on that. And I just have so many ideas, ya’ know?

Last edited:

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
Short version: Our GM Bill Armstrong was in the process of starting the rebuild ie trading everyone away, and at first had let all other teams know that Chychrun was the only untouchable player. Then Bill changed his mind and was like, "hey Jacob we're rebuilding, do you want to sit through this for the next few years or be dealt to a team that might win?" And Jacob thinks about it and is like, "yeah ok I'd rather go to a team who's fighting for the Stanley Cup" Which is completely reasonable.

based on this, it seems as though there is an implicit understanding between chychrun and armstrong that he will be traded to a team that is fighting for the cup. that would seem to rule out columbus who is in last place in the nhl. chychrun doesn't have an ntc so armstrong can trade him wherever, but to trade him to columbus after that statement from chychrun would be doing him dirty. coyotes fans, am i off base here?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I have us here in Ottawa still coming in...Our first ,Greig and another prospect or two is a pretty competitive offer
I'm pretty sure Ottawa said no to trading pinto or Greig earlier this year. Hopefully dorion doesn't cave now when we are on the outside looking in for a playoff spot

Reactions: Wondercarrot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad