Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seems like it’s got to be an Eastern team. Anyone who hasn’t made a big move out there has got to be sweating a bit.
Plus look at all the cross conference trades. Teams prefer to trade to the other conference when it comes to major pieces

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
So who here feels like Arizona can actually keep Chychrun through the deadline without it negatively reflecting on their franchise? Them sitting him practically all of February only to keep him would certainly be a rather damming look.

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Doaner

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
So who here feels like Arizona can actually keep Chychrun through the deadline without it negatively reflecting on their franchise? Them sitting him practically all of February only to keep him would certainly be a rather damming look.
The FO and fans may say "we'll just keep him if we don't get our price" but I think we see a last minute deal when they cave a bit on their price tag.

I don't think they keep Chychrun through this year.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It would be annoying to fans like you and me and media types. Not sure hockey ops gives a rats ass.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Market value is quite low for taking on salary. That is definitely NOT the deal breaker, unless Arizona wants market value+++ for taking on some salary, which I'm sure every GM will balk at and look elsewhere to improve their team.

Between the Boston-Washington deal and the St. Louis-Toronto deal, Minnesota retained $3 million in salary and got 4th and 5th round picks.

Minnesota retained about $160k of salary combined in the two trades.

Dec 15, 2002
The nightmare scenario for Arizona:
* Chychrun doesn't get traded by the deadline, for whatever reason​
* He goes back into the lineup (unless they really are never going to play him again until he gets traded - which probably is not a good idea)​
* He gets hurt (again) between the deadline and the end of the season​
* It's (yet) another injury that will keep him out well past the start of the following season​
The rest of the points that follow are pretty easy to figure out. I'm not saying Arizona has to trade him at this point - it doesn't, it can hold out until the 31st of never for the desired asking price - but if he's not dealt by 3pm ET Friday and he doesn't go into the lineup on Friday night at home vs. Carolina or even Sunday vs. New Jersey, it's going to raise lots of eyebrows and lots of questions around the league.

Reactions: wetcoast

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Minnesota retained about $160k of salary combined in the two trades.
People forget that cash doesn’t equal cap and that it’s nearly March.

The nightmare scenario for Arizona:
* Chychrun doesn't get traded by the deadline, for whatever reason​
* He goes back into the lineup (unless they really are never going to play him again until he gets traded - which probably is not a good idea)​
* He gets hurt (again) between the deadline and the end of the season​
* It's (yet) another injury that will keep him out well past the start of the following season​
The rest of the points that follow are pretty easy to figure out. I'm not saying Arizona has to trade him at this point - it doesn't, it can hold out until the 31st of never for the desired asking price - but if he's not dealt by 3pm ET Friday and he doesn't go into the lineup on Friday night at home vs. Carolina or even Sunday vs. New Jersey, it's going to raise lots of eyebrows and lots of questions around the league.
It makes a lot of sense to take the best offer they can get this week. I won’t argue with you there.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It would be annoying to fans like you and me and media types. Not sure hockey ops gives a rats ass.
they should do

is an extra pick or prospect really worth the huge distraction?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
But when it all comes out in the wash, I’m expecting 2x 25th overalls and 1x 55th overall in actual value coming back for Chychrun and minor value headed out.

I dont think that is unreasonable. It just comes down to the value associated with prospects instead of one of the firsts and in which draft for the picks.

If it was say bjornfot or similar, a 1st in 24 and a 2nd in 23, there would be plenty of suitors. Perhaps rival gms are trying to put some conditions on the draft picks.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't see how the price goes up as we get closer to the deadline. Potential suitors are dropping off as they acquire other pieces. GMs are bound to get tired is this strong arm tactic and just abandon their bid all together, and Zona has some pressure to get a deal done after sitting him for like 10 games.

Not saying the price will for sure go down but I am not certain it will go up either.
It's supply and demand and demand has gone down.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As much as a few teams have loaded up, I See the Devils and Islanders as the only teams that have landed true difference makes. Chychrun, Kane and Karlsson are going to have a much bigger impact on the race than the Bruins, Bolts and Leafs moves over the weekend. Gonna be a real interesting week ahead.
Karlsson isn't getting traded it's a salary cap world and he has 3 years left at 11.5 million.

Kane might get traded I guess but his value might be overstated here.

I really wonder if Chychrun moves at this point and even if he does it might not be a playoff team.

The Leafs, Bruins, NJ and the NYI really added some important pieces to fit their needs not sure if any of those 3 guys really has a bigger impact in the playoffs.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's supply and demand and demand has gone down.
Yes and no….

it depends on the position and team needs

Horvat, Oreilly, Tarasenko, Meier we’re well known players thst teams had 8nterest in.

the Dynamics can be difficulypt because you are also dealing with a time clock. If there is a delay with other deals tied to the value of the big fish coukd lead to delays in trades. You also can run into issues if there are peop,e who don’t have to sell them just holding out for return.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If the Yotes dont trade him, Chychrun should take the rest of the year off and go on vacation.
"OK bud, we couldn't find a trade for ya. Let's have you lace back up those skates and win one for your Yotes!"
spongebob-bored (1).gif

I'll be real shocked if he's not a late deadline trade once AZ relents on a pick or prospect.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad