Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The PA has no say in healthy scratches, regardless as to the reason behind it. It honestly baffles me how some believe the NHLPA or the NHL for that matter have some sort of input on a team's roster if all contractual guidelines are being met.
They set the rules, if they want to ratify them they have every right to. Thats how they have a say.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Generally agree, but if that's really the case straight up with no complications, it would have been done by now...as as you mention...

...the Kings/Yotes deal allegedly hung up on a salary move (Walker? Etc.), which seems like a petty detail at this point.

Not saying this is a bad thing necessarily but Armstrong is coming off as extremely stubborn which is why it makes sense suitors are starting to turn elsewhere.

1) I feel like all I’ve been trying to convey in these threads, for the most part, is that I expect the equivalent of two late 1sts and a late 2nd for Chychrun. Not sure why it’s been so contentious.

2) Given what they got for Gostisbehere, Stralman, and Nemeth, I’d guess they’d want a 2nd for taking Walker. Me? I’d take him for free. But I’m guessing they want a 2nd.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
At this point hes going nowhere. PHX thinks they are trading a top 10 defenseman with their asking price.

Potential suitors are falling back each day. GMs can be down right stupid at times but I think most won't overpay for him.

Reactions: deaderhead28

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Market value is quite low for taking on salary. That is definitely NOT the deal breaker, unless Arizona wants market value+++ for taking on some salary, which I'm sure every GM will balk at and look elsewhere to improve their team.

Between the Boston-Washington deal and the St. Louis-Toronto deal, Minnesota retained $3 million in salary and got 4th and 5th round picks.
Not with proration, they didn’t.

LOL all those teams with the exception of carolina are sellers, would be absolutely dumb for any of those teams to add at the TDL
Take it up with Friedman and LeBrun and Dreger and Co.

At this point hes going nowhere. PHX thinks they are trading a top 10 defenseman with their asking price.

Potential suitors are falling back each day. GMs can be down right stupid at times but I think most won't overpay for him.
Two late 1sts and one late 2nd?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m extremely willing to bet that the Coyotes won’t get 2 1sts for Chychrun. I think the Chychrun return for the Coyotes is going to look like something like 2 B prospects, a 1st and a 2nd. The defenseman market is too saturated for me to think Chychrun would bring back more than that.

Just using the Penguins since I know the most about them, but I’d expect the return to be something like Ty Smith, Tristan Broz, a 2023 1st and a 2023 2nd. Or using the pieces New Jersey traded for Meier, something like Mukhamadullin, Okhotiuk, a 1st and 2nd for Chychrun.

Reactions: Voight and wetcoast

VinceFerrol

Feb 27, 2023
Not real familiar with how contracts work in the NHL. If a team were to trade for Chychrun could they renegotiate and extend the contract that he currently has?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’m extremely willing to bet that the Coyotes won’t get 2 1sts for Chychrun. I think the Chychrun return for the Coyotes is going to look like something like 2 B prospects, a 1st and a 2nd. The defenseman market is too saturated for me to think Chychrun would bring back more than that.

Just using the Penguins since I know the most about them, but I’d expect the return to be something like Ty Smith, Tristan Broz, a 2023 1st and a 2023 2nd. Or using the pieces New Jersey traded for Meier, something like Mukhamadullin, Okhotiuk, a 1st and 2nd for Chychrun.
Jake McCabe sucks.

That PIT package is nowhere near as appealing as the NJD package.

Not real familiar with how contracts work in the NHL. If a team were to trade for Chychrun could they renegotiate and extend the contract that he currently has?
Not until the final year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jake McCabe sucks.

That PIT package is nowhere near as appealing as the NJD package.

I mean, I don't see how the Penguins package is "nowhere near as appealing" as the NJD package. But my overall point is that 2 B prospects, a 1st and 2nd is probably all that Chychrun will bring back.

Reactions: Voight

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I mean, I don't see how the Penguins package is "nowhere near as appealing" as the NJD package. But my overall point is that 2 B prospects, a 1st and 2nd is probably all that Chychrun will bring back.
Buffalo could probably give the best package when it comes to draft picks. 1st and 2 2nds would be much lower than any other teams.

Last edited:

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Then he will stay in Arizona. BA has stated multiple times that if he isn’t satisfied with return, Chych isn’t going anywhere.

Dec 15, 2002

Not until he's in the last year of his deal.
To clarify: his contract cannot be renegotiated at all. [It could be bought out, and a new contract signed, but there's cap implications for that. While nothing expressly prohibits a team from buying out a player and immediately re-signing him to something else - but if there's an attempt to circumvent the cap, it would get severely frowned upon.]

He can be extended, but only in the last year of the current contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Then he will stay in Arizona. BA has stated multiple times that if he isn’t satisfied with return, Chych isn’t going anywhere.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

I think it's basically impossible to come back from healthy scratching Chychrun for "trade related reasons". I can't even fathom an acceptable scenario where the deadline passes and Chychrun is still on the Coyotes. That's going to be a completely toxic situation if the Coyotes refuse to trade him and then just throw him back on the ice.

It would be nonsensical for the Coyotes to turn down a package of 2 B prospects, a 1st and a 2nd to just hold onto Chychrun. Even taking out the impact of scratching a guy for a month because of "trade related reasons" only to not trade him, his value is going to decrease due to the less years of control he'll have.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Now that we've seen Chicago retain 50% of McCabe's salary for 2.5 seasons, I wonder if Arizona would be willing to do the same for Chychrun?

Their ask is pretty steep, and a 2.3M retention for 2.5 season would probably interest more teams (Chicago retained 2M for 2.5 seasons).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Now that we've seen Chicago retain 50% of McCabe's salary for 2.5 seasons, I wonder if Arizona would be willing to do the same for Chychrun?

Their ask is pretty steep, and a 2.3M retention for 2.5 season would probably interest more teams (Chicago retained 2M for 2.5 seasons).
If the owner wasn’t real money worried then probably

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

I think it's basically impossible to come back from healthy scratching Chychrun for "trade related reasons". I can't even fathom an acceptable scenario where the deadline passes and Chychrun is still on the Coyotes. That's going to be a completely toxic situation if the Coyotes refuse to trade him and then just throw him back on the ice.

It would be nonsensical for the Coyotes to turn down a package of 2 B prospects, a 1st and a 2nd to just hold onto Chychrun. Even taking out the impact of scratching a guy for a month because of "trade related reasons" only to not trade him, his value is going to decrease due to the less years of control he'll have.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he is traded at the draft, i mean that package is almost the Orlov return. BA seems like a guy who doesn’t back out of his words.

Also, nothing indicates that there is bad blood between Coyotes and Chychrun.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn’t be surprised if he is traded at the draft, i mean that package is almost the Orlov return. BA seems like a guy who doesn’t back out of his words.

Also, nothing indicates that there is bad blood between Coyotes and Chychrun.

No it's not? The Orlov return was probably a 1st and 3rd, with Hathaway having the value of a 2nd. Adding 2 B prospects on top of that isn't an inconsequential add.

Not only that, but I also feel like Orlov isn't much worse of a player than Chychrun either. The extra years of control do matter a lot, but holding onto Chychrun is just going to negate out that value advantage. If teams aren't willing to pay 2 1sts and a prospect for Chychrun now, they're not going to become more willing to do that with less years of control for Chychrun.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The conditions on they pick have a decent shot of being met. Easily could be two 1sts. Also Meier is an RFA with a 9mil QO.

Still, that NJD package would’ve been a pretty good haul for Chychrun that I’d have been happy with. Your PIT package doesn’t stack up.

hes gonna have a NTC lol
Hasn’t seemed to matter much the last week. Specifically not with McCabe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad