Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Kapanen getting picked up on waivers full freight gives the Pens room to maneuver. Hextall said in his presser yesterday that they aren't going to move big assets for rentals, but will consider it for a player with term that can help the next several years. This has Chychrun to PIT written all over it. Worth giving up multiple picks and prospects to lock in the Pens D for the remainder of Crosby's contract.

Does this get it done?

To AZ:
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Ty Smith
Dumoulin - AZ can retain 50% and flip for a 2nd/3rd as a rental

To Pitt
Chychrun
Bjugstad (3C replacement for Carter)

It would hurt, but I'd probably be willing to swap in Owen Pickering (2022 1st round pick) for the 2024 2nd to beat other offers.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Pittsburgh? They sure could use a top 4 D and they are all in. Just freed quite a bit of cap with Kapanen.

CBJ could outbid them, but 2023 Pittsburgh 1st in juicy as hell and no way CBJ can match that.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Kapanen getting picked up on waivers full freight gives the Pens room to maneuver. Hextall said in his presser yesterday that they aren't going to move big assets for rentals, but will consider it for a player with term that can help the next several years. This has Chychrun to PIT written all over it. Worth giving up multiple picks and prospects to lock in the Pens D for the remainder of Crosby's contract.

Does this get it done?

To AZ:
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Ty Smith

To Pitt
Chychrun

It would hurt, but I'd probably be willing to swap in Owen Pickering (2022 1st round pick) for the 2024 2nd to beat other offers.
Easily outbid lol

Reactions: deaderhead28

spfan

May 4, 2009

Does this get it done?

To AZ:
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Ty Smith

To Pitt
Chychrun

I'd love to get Chychrun. We had Bjugstad before though. Wouldn't want him back.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Does this get it done?

To AZ:
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Ty Smith

To Pitt
Chychrun

No interest in smith. Replace him with Pickering. Nobody is giving assets for Dumoulin.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
The Caps beat writer for The Athletic, Tarik El-Bashir, wrote a bit in a post today about the Chychrun rumors:

On Thursday, TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that Jakob Chychrun is “a player of interest” for the Caps... Chychrun is exactly the type of player MacLellan hopes to add in the coming days, I’m told by a league source.... After Thursday’s trade, the Caps own two first-round picks—their own and the Bruins’. It’s believed MacLellan is willing to include Boston’s pick in a deal to land a player like Chychrun since the selection is likely to be late in the first round... MacLellan does not, however, want to move his own since pick [sic] because, depending on how things go, it could be a very high one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My theory is that the best offers so far are from lottery teams and their 1sts are conditional. Might as well wait until the 1sts are decided in which order first and not worry about the conditions. It just seems that they are the only ones to have the right assets to make it work without disrupting their core.
The problem is that you take the Sabres, Detroit and even Ottawa need him for the playoff push, if they are in on Chych. Same goes for Washington. All these team know if they get Chych it will be for the long term, and all will want lottery protection. It might be the best for BA to trade Chych in the offseason as you mentioned, knowing exactly what you are getting. Remember DVO. Once bitten twice shy, I hope BA thinks the same.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pittsburgh? They sure could use a top 4 D and they are all in. Just freed quite a bit of cap with Kapanen.

CBJ could outbid them, but 2023 Pittsburgh 1st in juicy as hell and no way CBJ can match that.
CBJ have much better prospects, and a great D in junior which who many think would be included in a deal for Chych. I don't see how a late first round is juicy.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
CBJ have much better prospects, and a great D in junior which who many think would be included in a deal for Chych. I don't see how a late first round is juicy.
Colombus obviously can't trade their 2023 1st. Pittsburgh 1st could be between #15 and 20 in a deep draft.

I don't see many prospects on the CBJ worth more than that pick beside Jiricek, Marchenko and Johnson... But I don't see Jarmo trading them, would not make sense.

Maybe if Columbus had been able to get another first with another trade (Gavrikov), but it does not look like it will happen.

Coyotes want a 2023 1st for Chychrun. The best one that are "available" are the ones from St-Louis, Pittsburgh and Ottawa.

CBJ can't match that.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Colombus obviously can't trade their 2023 1st. Pittsburgh 1st could be between #15 and 20 in a deep draft.

I don't see many prospects on the CBJ worth more than that pick beside Jiricek, Marchenko and Johnson... But I don't see Jarmo trading them, would not make sense.

Maybe if Columbus had been able to get another first with another trade (Gavrikov), but it does not look like it will happen.

Coyotes want a 2023 1st for Chychrun. The best one that are "available" are the ones from St-Louis, Pittsburgh and Ottawa.

CBJ can't match that.
All three of those teams are dumb if they're trading their 23 1st for chyc

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If i;m that team, you tell ARZ, get this done now so we can maximize the deal for the rest of the season or its off. If the deal went through when they scratched him weeks ago, he might be on his 5th or 6th game with his new team. His part on the new team could've been the difference in getting an extra win or two.
Coyotes were ready to deal him to the Kings two weeks ago. The delay isn't about waiting for the right moment it's about other teams getting their assets sorted out.
Some teams might want to dump cap before adding Chychrun, while others might want to trade their vets for picks before using those picks as currency.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm kinda hoping they balk at offers and have to bring him back into the lineup...

That'd be some fun!
I don’t think it would be nearly as dramatic as some here would like to think…there’s nothing to suggest any kind of bad blood here between player and organization. Chychrun came back from injury and swirling rumors earlier this year and has been as good as ever. Both sides know this is a business. If it doesn’t happen by the trade deadline my guess is Chychrun will be back in the line-up and playing well and things will get revisited in the summer.

This TDL isn’t some sort of make or break deadline. As much as fans who want their daily dose of “As the Coyotes Turn” may want to think.

BA taking a page out of Sakic’s book with Duchene. Patience. While social media and message boards cook the org because they aren’t giving the everybody the trade they want. Except in that case Duchene was clearly being a pissant.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I was at Coyotes practice today. They were at my home rink. Chychrun was skating with the team and having a ton of fun. Laughing a goofing round with Shane Doan and his teammates and coaches. Gladhanding with fans and signing autographs and joking and laughing. He looked like he’s in great spirits.
He's a pro athlete getting paid millions to play hockey. A bonus he's not having to play and could potentially go to a playoff team.

Not much to be upset about lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad