Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
My understanding is he changed his mind after the signing of Gaudreau.
He said no at the draft. He changed his mind when Gaudreau signed. It was too late. Now Columbus is worse than Arizona. So…who knows…?

If both teams miss the playoffs then their first round picks mean something, but if they make the playoffs the picks are not interesting to me. Pen's don't have any players of interest except Pickering and Washington I don't think have anything. I'll bet you guys a cocktail Chych won't be going to either team, but you have to come to Phoenix to collect. Does that make sense 66-30-33? :)
You think non-playoff teams are looking to make big deadline splashes ahead of the lottery? Is this your first time going through a deadline? Are you new to this?

Re: Columbus, the deal fell apart in the summer because Chychrun didn’t want to be a Blue Jacket at that time (this has since changed). He does not have a NTC but CBJ has had their ass burned a few times in the past in acquiring players who really had no interest being in Columbus (Carter, PLD).
Correct. Columbus does not do blockbuster trades without first temp checking players. Nothing to do with what Chychrun is entitled to contractually. Purely the cost of doing business with Columbus. They’re gonna want to talk to your players agent first. Or they’ll look elsewhere. If their offer is the best, then you better let them. This time AZ got burned. What can you do?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm really skeptical the Coyotes would seriously consider holding onto Chychrun beyond the deadline. It's not because they have to move him immediately, but the decision to scratch him for "trade related reasons" pretty much doesn't give them an out IMO. They can't just be like "well we couldn't find a deal, time to start playing against Jakob!" and they're obviously not going to scratch him for the rest of the year.

Had they never scratched him, I think the Coyotes would be able to take as much time as they need. But I honestly don't think there's a way back to Chychrun playing another game for the Coyotes after they've sat him out for "trade related reasons".

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The purpose of the cap is actually cost certainty

This is what Bettman would say, and it’s an effect of the cap (escrow is really where this comes in mostly, I’d say) but the real reason is and always will be parity.

Don’t want any teams to be too successful, or any teams to be too bad. That’s what has been growing the league, everyone seems to get a turn because good teams can’t stay too good for too long and bad teams can’t stay too bad for too long, because by being successful your players will get raises, forcing teams to distribute those players through out the rest of the league.

Redistribution of talent

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I'm really skeptical the Coyotes would seriously consider holding onto Chychrun beyond the deadline. It's not because they have to move him immediately, but the decision to scratch him for "trade related reasons" pretty much doesn't give them an out IMO. They can't just be like "well we couldn't find a deal, time to start playing against Jakob!" and they're obviously not going to scratch him for the rest of the year.

Had they never scratched him, I think the Coyotes would be able to take as much time as they need. But I honestly don't think there's a way back to Chychrun playing another game for the Coyotes after they've sat him out for "trade related reasons".
I think he gets traded on Mar 3. I think BA just takes best offer.. hoping for a last day bidding war however who knows?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Pretty sure they have a deal in their back pocket they’re willing to take, and are just trying for more.

If that’s the case, it’s likely from a team nobody’s talking about, who wouldn’t be trading the assets for anyone else right now. So the Coyotes don’t have to worry about whatever team it is, moving on.

Reactions: Kaizen

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This is what Bettman would say, and it’s an effect of the cap (escrow is really where this comes in mostly, I’d say) but the real reason is and always will be parity.

Don’t want any teams to be too successful, or any teams to be too bad. That’s what has been growing the league, everyone seems to get a turn because good teams can’t stay too good for too long and bad teams can’t stay too bad for too long, because by being successful your players will get raises, forcing teams to distribute those players through out the rest of the league.

Redistribution of talent

Stop. The league doesn't care if TB is in the Final 4 years in a row, winning 2 or 3 times. Before players had an increased say in where they played, Edmonton of all places could have a dynasty. Montreal, the place nobody wants to go to because of taxes, could have a dynasty.

Talk about parity, back in the 80's, 76% of teams made the playoffs. Today that would be like the 24th overall team in the playoffs, every year. That was a choice the league made. The 2nd worst team in the league, in Toronto of all places, made the playoffs one year due to the, wait for it, playoff format. Back in 1967, when real men were in charge, they guaranteed a spot in the Final for 1 of 6 expansion teams. I don't care what you think about Vegas, they never got that road to travel. There was no guarantee. Not to mention, after that expansion draft, nobody looked at that roster and said contender. If anyone says they did, they're a liar who just hates anything Bettman.

If you're good and ruthless enough to win 10 Cups in a row today, Bettman ain't gonna care. The cap is about cost certainty, end of story.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Pretty sure they have a deal in their back pocket they’re willing to take, and are just trying for more.

If that’s the case, it’s likely from a team nobody’s talking about, who wouldn’t be trading the assets for anyone else right now. So the Coyotes don’t have to worry about whatever team it is, moving on.

If i;m that team, you tell ARZ, get this done now so we can maximize the deal for the rest of the season or its off. If the deal went through when they scratched him weeks ago, he might be on his 5th or 6th game with his new team. His part on the new team could've been the difference in getting an extra win or two.

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
hasnt been playing any games at all!.. its like the start of the season with all teams when players drop like flies with all those types of injuries!
He’s a freak. Idk if you’ve ever seen him work out. He’s a monster! He’s been skating and will be fine.

Dec 15, 2002

Redistribution of talent
That's why the draft exists.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He said no at the draft. He changed his mind when Gaudreau signed. It was too late. Now Columbus is worse than Arizona. So…who knows…?

You think non-playoff teams are looking to make big deadline splashes ahead of the lottery? Is this your first time going through a deadline? Are you new to this?

Correct. Columbus does not do blockbuster trades without first temp checking players. Nothing to do with what Chychrun is entitled to contractually. Purely the cost of doing business with Columbus. They’re gonna want to talk to your players agent first. Or they’ll look elsewhere. If their offer is the best, then you better let them. This time AZ got burned. What can you do?
Chych isn't your typical TTD deal. He has term, young and will be the core of any team he goes to. In the east we don't even know who will be the last few spots for the playoffs. Look at the Islanders, were five pts. out of the wild card, made a trade and now they are one of the wild card teams. Columbus is still rumored to want Chych, as is Washington who is dropping faster than a ten ton ball. Same for Pittsburgh.

That's what I thought, but now not too sure.:dunno:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Friedman said today the Jackets and Kings want Chychrun. LeBrun said today the Pens and Kings want him. Now Dreger saying the Caps want him. Seems like the market is still pretty robust.
Big difference between wanting him and them calling and seeing about him. From what Friedman said in local radio I don’t think there is much interest other than Washington and Sullivan in Pittsburgh. Even though hextall doesn’t want him

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Chych isn't your typical TTD deal. He has term, young and will be the core of any team he goes to. In the east we don't even know who will be the last few spots for the playoffs. Look at the Islanders, were five pts. out of the wild card, made a trade and now they are one of the wild card teams. Columbus is still rumored to want Chych, as is Washington who is dropping faster than a ten ton ball. Same for Pittsburgh.

That's what I thought, but now not too sure.:dunno:
& he is Injury Prone

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40

My theory is that the best offers so far are from lottery teams and their 1sts are conditional. Might as well wait until the 1sts are decided in which order first and not worry about the conditions. It just seems that they are the only ones to have the right assets to make it work without disrupting their core.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad