Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Which is potentially weird if the Bruins 1st in that scenario is the deciding factor with the Columbus 2nd likely going to be a couple picks away. Seems like it would be easy enough to bridge that gap
Unless both picks were in the deal.
Or Jackets wanted to make sure they'd have at least one late 1st or early 2nd going into the draft. Unlikely perhaps but possible.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Avalanche should go ahead and sneak in there and nab him and he would be the replacement for Towes when we cant afford him on his next contract and can trade him after the season. If we cant find a #2 center might as well load up on defense and make it hard to score against. And grab a few extra depth guys

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I’d much rather prefer the Sens to pursue him in the off-season after the draft- we need to keep that 2023 pick. I’m fine with dangling any other picks 2024 onwards but 2023 is a no-go, especially after doofus just gave away our 2nd this year.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’d much rather prefer the Sens to pursue him in the off-season after the draft- we need to keep that 2023 pick. I’m fine with dangling any other picks 2024 onwards but 2023 is a no-go, especially after doofus just gave away our 2nd this year.
I think that would be okay but Greig would have to be in the deal. LeBrun and others have said talks broke off because of Pinto. Greig is the obvious next step down.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If anything, holding Chychrun out of the lineup hurts his value.

1.) He hasn't played in two weeks, so now he needs time to get back to speed. A buyer would like a player who can jump right in.

2.) He has the injury prone label, and Arizona is adding to the stigma by keeping him out longer than anyone else without a trade in sight because they're scared of him getting hurt again.

3.) How are you supposed to scout a player in the pressbox?
You are wrong on all three points.

My humble opine is Chykrun is going to Trona. Zona is gonna get their local boy Knies, Rasmus Sandin and a cap dump in Holl or Kerfoot or maybe both. From a marketing standpoint they get a local boy, and a 3-4 D-man in Sandin, that can both step in. They can resign or flip the cap dumps
That won't get you Chych.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
My point of view from a HC Leaf fan (please accept my apologies, I was born into it)

Someone asked if Toronto can even afford Chychrun and my response

Yes and no, if Arizona really likes Knies all it might take is him + 2024 1st
I'd consider it but Chychrun has only played 70 NHL games in a season once (including playoffs), 60 games in a season once and the other five seasons a mix of 40 and 50 games.
All of that to say the guy is not reliable, in fact he is less reliable then Murray but at least Murray at one point in his career was reliable I'm not sure if I'd want him, even if it costs our 2024 1st + Robertson + some prospect they like

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Rob Rossi (Pens reporter) is claiming that Arizona asked Pittsburgh for their 2025 and 2026 first round picks, and Hextall doesn't want to do it. Also claims that Sullivan wants Hextall to acquire Chychrun.

As a Pens fan, no thanks. We could be a lottery team by then.

I'd give up this year's first plus a few prospects for Chychrun. That's probably not enough for Arizona and they could likely do better elsewhere. But I wouldn't give up more than that personally. If they say no, oh well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
1.) The NHL season is longer than 36 games. It's not the number of games that matters, it's the fact this guy hasn't played hockey in 2 weeks. Sure, if they kept him out 1 or 2 games like everyone else, it's asset management. This guy hasn't played since February 10th! Of course that matters. I think you're misguided because not every team is Arizona, some teams actually care if a player contributes right away, especially buyers at the deadline. There's less incentive to trade for a player who's not even playing hockey. That's why historically players were pulled after a trade was finalized, or in motion. Heck, you would have players pulled from games because they got traded. Putting Chychrun in a bubble wrap is not confidence inspiring to anyone but you.

2.) How do we know he's healthy when he's not playing, because you said so? If anything, the idea of him having a lingering injury and being pulled makes more sense than this unprecedented take a month off while healthy for no reason.

3.) Their opinion changes based on play. If a player is playing well, it's called recency bias. It's talked about a lot. It's been proven time and time again. What do you think the value of Karlsson was last season? Were there trade talks? What about Luke Schenn? Why do players get paid more after having a career year in their UFA year, can't the teams just look at their career stats?
Any team acquiring Chych will be contingent on a physical. The Coyotes or any team, and the player are going to disclose any injuries, they won't lie about it. I don't think this plays into a decision.

I do think the length of time he is out can play a role in decreasing his value. As you said, it will take him time to get back into game shape even if he is skating and working out on his own. An acquiring team would rather see a player playing well right before they trade for him versus one sitting for 3 weeks. This could play into a GM thinking about his durability and injury history, like how many games can he play in a row without being injured.

This is all on BA, he has shopped him for 18 months, maybe held him out because he thought he was close to a deal or maybe he was bluffing to get better offers by holding him out. I have been saying and still believe the ask is too high in 2 firsts and a prospect, I think that price won't be met at the TDL, but I am a huge Coyote fan and I hope I am wrong. BA, in my opinion, has a habit of waiting and over playing his hand.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
My point of view from a HC Leaf fan (please accept my apologies, I was born into it)

Someone asked if Toronto can even afford Chychrun and my response

Yes and no, if Arizona really likes Knies all it might take is him + 2024 1st
I'd consider it but Chychrun has only played 70 NHL games in a season once (including playoffs), 60 games in a season once and the other five seasons a mix of 40 and 50 games.
All of that to say the guy is not reliable, in fact he is less reliable then Murray but at least Murray at one point in his career was reliable I'm not sure if I'd want him, even if it costs our 2024 1st + Robertson + some prospect they like

It's hard to justify 2 first, plus prospects for a guy who can't play a full season, no matter what his contract is like. ARZ is not going to get it, and he'll have to wait til next year and the merry-go-round will start up again..:laugh:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It's hard to justify 2 first, plus prospects for a guy who can't play a full season, no matter what his contract is like. ARZ is not going to get it, and he'll have to wait til next year and the merry-go-round will start up again..:laugh:

I suspect that has been the major hold up. Arizona is, understandably, treating Chychrun has a potential star in the making while everyone else is pointing to his pretty extensive injury history and neither side wants to budge.

It still feels like LA will circle back but maybe not for the price Arizona initially wanted.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I suspect that has been the major hold up. Arizona is, understandably, treating Chychrun has a potential star in the making while everyone else is pointing to his pretty extensive injury history and neither side wants to budge.

It still feels like LA will circle back but maybe not for the price Arizona initially wanted.
If it's a matter of LA wanting money out they likely need a third team involved.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
And he isn't a 1LHD, he is a hybrid, he hasn't scored consistently year to year like an EK, and he can't take on the other teams top lines on your best D pairing. The price has obviously been too high even with the great year Chych has had after sitting out the first 17 games, and now out the last 3 weeks:) But hey, he hasn't been injured so theres that!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Teams are wise to do this. Look at the Mike Green situation 5-6 years ago. Detroit missed out on a nice return for him because he was injured leading up to the deadline.

The next year, after he returned from his injury, he wasn’t the same player and ended up only returning a 4th rounder. Something like that. The year before, he would’ve brought them a 1st plus.

You can’t blame teams for doing it.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Avalanche should go ahead and sneak in there and nab him and he would be the replacement for Towes when we cant afford him on his next contract and can trade him after the season. If we cant find a #2 center might as well load up on defense and make it hard to score against. And grab a few extra depth guys
I really don't get why the Av's are not going after one of the Kings center youngsters.
Those guys sitting on the bench because there is no space on the roster while you guys don't know who to play #2 Center.

But this is another topic

Friedman said today the Jackets and Kings want Chychrun. LeBrun said today the Pens and Kings want him. Now Dreger saying the Caps want him. Seems like the market is still pretty robust.
It's more like those poop slingers take random names to create clicks
Alone the idea of Chychrun on the Pens who are a declining team makes me headscratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad