Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2002
Except he was already getting inquiries from other teams for Chychrun before Chychrun even hinted publicly he wanted to go to a contender.

So BA already knew what the potential market was before this even went public.

BA still considers Chychrun to be a core piece. It’s Chychrun who decided he didn’t want to go through another rebuild and nobody can really blame him for that. BA is willing to accommodate it because he doesn’t want an unhappy player on his roster.
All valid points, but still doesn't change anything I said. The market has spoken on what Chychrun's value is. It's up to BA to decide whether he likes it or not. If he doesn't like it, he can either bite the bullet and get the best offer out there or pull Chychrun off the market and tell him "you're staying here for a while, suck it up" because the offers aren't going to get any better if he continues to wait for someone to pony up.

Reactions: cobra427

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
All valid points, but still doesn't change anything I said. The market has spoken on what Chychrun's value is. It's up to BA to decide whether he likes it or not. If he doesn't like it, he can either bite the bullet and get the best offer out there or pull Chychrun off the market and tell him "you're staying here for a while, suck it up" because the offers aren't going to get any better if he continues to wait for someone to pony up.

Well... the offers might get better. We still have a week before the deadline. And if a team like, say, Toronto doesn't win a round again (esp if it has something to do with some of their young-ish D-men), the offers might / should get better in the offseason. Especially right before this very deep draft.

And besides if the offers don't get better we'll just keep Chych, that'd be fine too. Absolutely no rush for Bill here

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
@rt aka AGM of the Coyotes, Ottawa offers:

2024 1st Ottawa
Tyler Boucher
Lassi Thomson
for
Chychrun
No thanks.

I think Ottawa’s ‘23 2nd they just traded likely has more value than either of Boucher or Thomson. Neither are particularly impressive prospects, and both are extremely easy for Ottawa to give up.

A 1st round pick that can’t be made for another 16 months is extremely unappealing as the centerpiece of a trade.

In all honesty, it looks like you made a list of assets you really don’t care about losing, but that you hope still have some value.

Trading for Chychrun will hurt. You’ll have to lose something you care about. It won’t just be a pile of leftovers.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
@rt aka AGM of the Coyotes, Ottawa offers:

2024 1st Ottawa
Tyler Boucher
Lassi Thomson
for
Chychrun

If that was all it took Chychrun would have been an Ottawa Senator this summer.

Something like Sogaard/Ostapchuk/Kleven + 2023 1st (top 12 or playoff protected) + a 2nd or a B prospect is more akin to what the Yotes are asking in return.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
No thanks.

I think Ottawa’s ‘23 2nd they just traded likely has more value than either of Boucher or Thomson. Neither are particularly impressive prospects, and are both extremely easy for Ottawa to give up.

A 1st round pick that can’t be made for another 18 months is extremely unappealing as the centerpiece of a trade.

In all honesty, it looks like you made a list of assets you really don’t care about losing, but that you hope still have some value.

Trading for Chychrun will hurt. You’ll have to lose something you care about. It won’t just be a pile of leftovers.

You drive a hard bargain. Ottawa counters your rejection with:

2023 1st (top-10 protected)
Ostapchuk
2024 2nd
2024 2nd (WAS)

for
Fried Chychrun

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
You drive a hard bargain. Ottawa counters your rejection with:

Ostapchuk
2024 2nd
2024 2nd (WAS)

for
Fried Chychrun
Arizona already has three 2nd rounders in ‘24 and they have four 2nds in ‘25. I’m not sure adding two more drops in the bucket really moves the needle.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Arizona already has three 2nd rounders in ‘24 and they have four 2nds in ‘25. I’m not sure adding two more drops in the bucket really moves the needle.

Ok Chimpman, Ottawa's final offer:

Ostapchuk
JBD

for

Chychrun Schitt

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
JBD is supposed to be more appealing than the 2nds?

Replace him and Ostapchuk with Greig and we’ve got the start of a conversation.

Nice try, Greig doesn't enter the picture, neither Pinto nor Kleven.

It will be interesting to see who is willing to pay such a high price, I also think perhaps you are underrating Ostapchuk's value a little.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Nice try, Greig doesn't enter the picture, neither Pinto nor Kleven.

It will be interesting to see who is willing to pay such a high price, I also think perhaps you are underrating Ostapchuk's value a little.
I’ve watched Ostapchuk at least 10 times this season with WPG and at least 10 times last season with VAN. As well as his WJC and I read the EXCELLENT Scott Wheeler article on him, and consumed all of the Ottawa post-draft hype content. I’m a big fan of his. I like him a lot. He’s not a 1st round equivalent. Arizona is going to get the equivalent of two 1sts and a 2nd. Your packages haven’t got there yet. JBD isn’t appealing.

Reactions: Kegs

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
I’ve watched Ostapchuk at least 10 times this season with WPG and at least 10 times last season with VAN. As well as his WJC and I read the EXCELLENT Scott Wheeler article on him, and consumed all of the Ottawa post-draft hype content. I’m a big fan of his. I like him a lot. He’s not a 1st round equivalent. Arizona is going to get the equivalent of two 1sts and a 2nd. Your packages haven’t got there yet. JBD isn’t appealing.
You gotta relax man, you have no clue what the return will be just like the rest of us here.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You seem to miss almost everything.

Links? You have absolutely no idea what teams have called on Chych.
Are you saying any team didn't know Chych was available and didn't inquire as to what the price is over the last 18 months or hasn't heard BA say two firsts and a prospect is the price? GMs haven't been standing in line to pay that price in the last 18 months.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe - and I'm just spitballing here, because I'm not a GM and probably never will be - GMBA shouldn't have telegraphed his demands everywhere in the first place. Maybe there's a difference between "here's what I'm looking for" and "here's what I'll settle for" and we don't know the 2nd part. Or maybe his ask really is what he claims it is and he might end up going to the GM graveyard holding out for it.

But when the market says "here's what we value your guy for" and 18 months later it's still less than what you think he's worth, at some point you have to acknowledge it. If your pride is so strong that you'll take nothing rather than what everyone else is offering, that's a 'you' problem. If GMBA is that worried about taking less and being taken advantage of the rest of his GM career, he shouldn't be a GM in the first place and should go back to the safety of amateur scouting.
Maybe do some due diligence before spouting off. First off, trading a player and the ask always comes out because of other GM's, agents etc. and do you know Chych was hurt during last TTD, and the start of this year? I thought not. No GM in their right mind is going to trade for a player while injured.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

You may not think he's a 1st round pick equivalent but I guarantee most teams around the league would trade at least a late 1st for him given he's pretty much a guaranteed NHLer with his nice toolset.

I think what is getting underrated is the value of a protected 2023 Sens 1st or unprotected 2024 1st. Either one is significantly more valuable than a late 1st from a clear playoff team, which I have to think most if not all of the other suitors for Chychrun are.

The Yotes just traded two high 2nds to move up from 27th to 11th to take Geekie, illustrating the big difference in value between a mid 1st and a late 1st. Could see the Sens putting a top 12 protection on the pick like the Isles, or perhaps a full playoff protection. That may mean the pick carries less value since it's pushed out to 2024, but getting an unprotected 1st from a non-guaranteed playoff team might be a gamble worth making for the Yotes.

The Sens found out the downside of trading an unprotected 1st in 2019 when they gave the Avs Byram, and saw the upside of acquiring one when the Sharks' 2020 1st won a lottery pick that turned into Stutzle.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Armstrong looking at the return for Orlov

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad