Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So if the idea is to keep Chychrun happy, wouldn't it be better to move him for the best offer by a specific timeline? Like last TDL, this TDL or even this upcoming off-season?
Yes, that would be almost as good for Chychrun as trading him to his preferred destination would be. Unfortunately neither of those approaches are optimal for the Coyotes. Coyotes want to accommodate Chychrun but will look out for their own interests first.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kegs

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So if the idea is to keep Chychrun happy, wouldn't it be better to move him for the best offer by a specific timeline? Like last TDL, this TDL or even this upcoming off-season?
AZ is not going to sacrifice their return. BA set a price. If it doesn't hit he will reassess at the draft. That's it. Don't like the price then don't pay it. Columbus knows the price. They came to an agreement. Maybe they do again in the summer.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Yes, that would be almost as good for Chychrun as trading him to his preferred destination would be. Unfortunately neither of those approaches are optimal for the Coyotes. Coyotes want to accommodate Chychrun but will look out for their own interests first.
Ya I can’t imagine letting the player chose. Screw that. Get what u can and run.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
AZ is not going to sacrifice their return. BA set a price. If it doesn't hit he will reassess at the draft. That's it. Don't like the price then don't pay it. Columbus knows the price. They came to an agreement. Maybe they do again in the summer.

Ya I can’t imagine letting the player chose. Screw that. Get what u can and run.
I agree 100%. I would have thought that the Coyotes GM would have some kind of timeline in mind by which he takes the best offer and goes with it. And this TDL may very well be part of that timeline. I doubt he has not received any "good" offers for Chychrun. But if he has literally drawn a line in the sand and is not willing to budge even a bit, that is not going to do the organization or Chychrun much good.

With the kind of player Chychrun is and the contract he is on, I doubt he is getting lowball offers.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
...and insult JC? Chychrun has already acknowledged the price and expects the results to help the Coyotes long term. He wants to do good to the Coyotes for giving him a chance to go to another team and compete for the CUP.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
...and insult JC? Chychrun has already acknowledged the price and expects the results to help the Coyotes long term. He wants to do good to the Coyotes for giving him a chance to go to another team and compete for the CUP.
You think Chychrun cares what the return is, really? Do you think he cares more about what type of return he nets rather than just moving on to his next team and be done with this wait?

Reactions: kinghock

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
You think Chychrun cares what the return is, really? Do you think he cares more about what type of return he nets rather than just moving on to his next team and be done with this wait?
Yes, it's the type of person Jakob Chychrun is. He has been done right by the Coyotes and wants to do right to the organization. He said that last season.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree 100%. I would have thought that the Coyotes GM would have some kind of timeline in mind by which he takes the best offer and goes with it. And this TDL may very well be part of that timeline. I doubt he has not received any "good" offers for Chychrun. But if he has literally drawn a line in the sand and is not willing to budge even a bit, that is not going to do the organization or Chychrun much good.

With the kind of player Chychrun is and the contract he is on, I doubt he is getting lowball offers.
Well in BA's defense he did the same thing with Dvorak (1st round pick and a 2nd rounder) and Keumper (1st, 3rd, and a prospect) and they already had agreed to value with Columbus in the summer so.... why should he settle for less than that?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Now I wonder if the Sens are back in the fold. It's been reported/speculated that Dorion can't add payroll due to the sale of the team and Zaitsev was just moved. Friedman also thinks there's a certain d-man Sens are targeting.

A Sens protected 1st is also likely to be in the 8-12 range rather than the late 20's some contenders are offering.

Last edited:
Reactions: PainForShane

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yes, it's the type of person Jakob Chychrun is. He has been done right by the Coyotes and wants to do right to the organization. He said that last season.
Saying it is one thing and meaning it is another. He has little to no control over his situation, so saying this is correct for him. What exactly do you mean he has been done right by the Coyotes? In what way?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Saying it is one thing and meaning it is another. He has little to no control over his situation, so saying this is correct for him. What exactly do you mean he has been done right by the Coyotes? In what way?
Chychrun? He's played extremely well this year. He has focused on his game this year and his play is dramatically improved from last year and I'd even argue he's played better than the shortened season (when he played every single game that year) where he garnered a few Norris votes.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Chychrun? He's played extremely well this year. He has focused on his game this year and his play is dramatically improved from last year and I'd even argue he's played better than the shortened season (when he played every single game that year) where he garnered a few Norris votes.
I think you missed what I was saying or maybe I did not say it correctly. It was stated earlier that the "Coyotes have done right by him". I am just wondering what exactly have the Coyotes done here?

I have no doubt Chychrun has been solid this season. His numbers show that. I am just not buying the talk that Chychrun is ok with this. Waiting for over a season for a trade is not any pro player would enjoy.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I think you missed what I was saying or maybe I did not say it correctly. It was stated earlier that the "Coyotes have done right by him". I am just wondering what exactly have the Coyotes done here?

I have no doubt Chychrun has been solid this season. His numbers show that. I am just not buying the talk that Chychrun is ok with this. Waiting for over a season for a trade is not any pro player would enjoy.
Chychrun always stated he wants to play for a contender, he never said he wants out. Before the last draft, about a week or so, GMBA met up with Chychrun and asked if he was willing to go to Columbus and JC said no. This was before Armstrong was to meet up with Kekalainen before the draft. Also why Kekalainen said that he never had discussions with Armstrong about acquiring Chychrun until the draft (some here falsely speculated that the Coyotes gave permission to the Blue Jackets to talk to Chychrun's agent). Chychrun has no trade protection, but Armstrong makes it a point to keep Chychrun updated on which teams are throwing offers. This is just one incident, and there are others.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Based on all the reports (including the Craig Morgan published today) this is an amicable. You can choose to believe otherwise.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Maybe - and I'm just spitballing here, because I'm not a GM and probably never will be - GMBA shouldn't have telegraphed his demands everywhere in the first place. Maybe there's a difference between "here's what I'm looking for" and "here's what I'll settle for" and we don't know the 2nd part. Or maybe his ask really is what he claims it is and he might end up going to the GM graveyard holding out for it.

But when the market says "here's what we value your guy for" and 18 months later it's still less than what you think he's worth, at some point you have to acknowledge it. If your pride is so strong that you'll take nothing rather than what everyone else is offering, that's a 'you' problem. If GMBA is that worried about taking less and being taken advantage of the rest of his GM career, he shouldn't be a GM in the first place and should go back to the safety of amateur scouting.
Except he was already getting inquiries from other teams for Chychrun before Chychrun even hinted publicly he wanted to go to a contender.

So BA already knew what the potential market was before this even went public.

BA still considers Chychrun to be a core piece. It’s Chychrun who decided he didn’t want to go through another rebuild and nobody can really blame him for that. BA is willing to accommodate it because he doesn’t want an unhappy player on his roster.

Reactions: Jakey53

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Now I wonder if the Sens are back in the fold. It's been reported/speculated that Dorion can't add payroll due to the sale of the team and Zaitsev was just moved. Friedman also thinks there's a certain d-man Sens are targeting.

A Sens protected 1st is also likely to be in the 8-12 range rather than the late 20's some contenders are offering.

Feels like a bad fit. Ottawa has Chabot for PP1 and Chabot and Sanderson for their top 2 LD. Seems like Ottawa should be RD shopping.

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Wahlstrom, Bolduc and a future first round pick. It’s not a good offer I know but it’s one that The Godfather will make. The Coyotes rightfully so will decline and will look for better offers but are there better offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad