Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Corsi and Fenwick and On Ice GF/GA% are actually also indicative of defensive play, to a degree- Chychrun is alright at defendin without the puck,, but he's great at moving the puck out and creating a transition play. He isn't as good as Prime OEL, for sure. But he is only 24, has been playing on a lot worse teams than OEL was, and hopefully is only going to get better, because while OEL was fine for a lot of years, he eventually became an even worse Yandle- coincidentally pretty soon after he turned 25! Which no doubt was initially probably mostly because of Tippett, but never got better. It doesn't really matter though. He's paid half of what OEL was, and at that point of time I would've asked for the same thing for OEL that we all want from Chychrun.

Anyways my point was to mostly point out that you were wrong about several things you asserted in your initial post. So yeah. It's really really hard to quantify quality of competition, and Chychrun hasn't played a ton of games so it's even harder to quantify because there's no good /60 or /GP stats for it. But with all that said, Chychrun actually did have a really high quality of competition before last year.
I watch pretty much every game, he is average or below on D, it's obvious if you really watch, and you see it in his usage. The coach is putting him in the best situation to accel and get points, but he also might be hiding his weakness's a little too. I like Chych and agree he is young and his D play can improve. At even strength, if he is your best LHD on D, you will be disappointed in his play against top lines. GMs know this. I think BA is selling a 1D and other GMs know that isn't what they are getting in total (right now anyway) plus his injury history clouds the picture. I agree he is under paid but he isn't as good as prime OEL, and prime OEL would have easily fetched two 1sts and a prospect. That has been the known price, BA is over valuing him.

Reactions: kinghock

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I watch pretty much every game, he is average or below on D, it's obvious if you really watch, and you see it in his usage. The coach is putting him in the best situation to accel and get points, but he also might be hiding his weakness's a little too. I like Chych and agree he is young and his D play can improve. At even strength, if he is your best LHD on D, you will be disappointed in his play against top lines. GMs know this. I think BA is selling a 1D and other GMs know that isn't what they are getting in total (right now anyway) plus his injury history clouds the picture. I agree he is under paid but he isn't as good as prime OEL, and prime OEL would have easily fetched two 1sts and a prospect. That has been the known price, BA is over valuing him.
I also watch every game. He’s significantly better than you give him credit for. And you must admit your opinion of Chychrun is the extreme outlier among AZ fans who watch every game. Right?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
If the value is so massive, where's the big deal?
Where was it last year? Where is it this year?

Personally, I thought LA should go for him last year.
They have more prospects than they can develop. Use team intell to determine which prospects have higher trade value than potential, move them out for Chychrun.
Going out and getting Fiala when they already had Arvidsson struck me as a strange move.
Going after a younger more dynamic higher scoring winger is a strange move? That move has paid off big time scoring wise for the Kings.

Reactions: kinghock

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
FWIW the top insider Bruins poster thru out 2023 1st, 2024 1st, Lorhei, Harrison for Chychrun as a deal he would make but that AZ would say no to. If that really wouldn’t be enough, I can understand why Boston seems to have moved on to Gavrikov.
If that isnt enough then I dont know if he could be moved. Wasnt Chychrun playing on their second pair?
They are expecting a complete rebuild package from a player that isnt McDavid/Matthews level.
I love Chychrun but that is a damn good offer.
Kings rebuild got less for Pearson Muzzin and Toffoli who had won championships in top six and top d roles.
You can argue Chychrun is better than all of them but at some point you gotta be realistic with a return.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
FWIW the top insider Bruins poster thru out 2023 1st, 2024 1st, Lorhei, Harrison for Chychrun as a deal he would make but that AZ would say no to. If that really wouldn’t be enough, I can understand why Boston seems to have moved on to Gavrikov.
Makes sense if you consider that Hagel's cost was 2 1sts due to the awesome cap hit with term, which Chychrun also has (2 additional years for each player), but Chychrun is also a much better player at the time of trade at a more premium position. That's why ARZ's ask is two 1sts plus. It's a very reasonable ask based on precedent.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
ARI should send him to AHL on a conditioning stint.. the man must have gotten fat sitting around not playing..

• Haha
Reactions: AvStock

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The guy has a knack for missing big chunks if every season

And he missed the start of this season, but......he's not choosing to sit out these past six games, is he?

The team's actively preventing him from playing. :help:

What happens if the deadline comes and goes and Arizona still hasn't figured out how to move him?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Not sure why he thinks that wouldn't be enough. It's better than the asking price.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
No he is not. My opinion is objective, not through rose colored glasses, knowledgable hockey people like GMs agree with me.

That's the beauty of "I watch the games"; you can follow it with literally any opinion (good, bad, or absolutely terrible) you want and no one can attack your argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: mouser

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Going after a younger more dynamic higher scoring winger is a strange move? That move has paid off big time scoring wise for the Kings.
Yet it hasn't made a damn bit of difference to the team now, and just like the Danault signing it was an attempt to fast-forward the rebuild due to the whining of the Cup vets. They have the exact same record right now with Fiala as at this time last year when half their defense was on the IR.

All it has really achieved is a top heavy team that won't win anything because it is playing its prized prospects in the spots down the lineup that would need to be given to quality role players. The Kings are dressing 8 offensive wingers at the moment, none of which can be considered favorites to win board battles or grind out games with a lead. If they don't score 5 they are in a tough spot to win.

But sure, those sexy moves by Fiala have really made a huge difference.

Reactions: Osprey

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
And he missed the start of this season, but......he's not choosing to sit out these past six games, is he?

The team's actively preventing him from playing. :help:

What happens if the deadline comes and goes and Arizona still hasn't figured out how to move him?
I find it weird that they also kept him out of practice as well. Sounds like he was hurt again

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Arizona is looking like even more of an absolute clusterf*** than normal. If the deal isn't imminent, don't sit the player.
Who knows....

Not sure if the Devils will actually get Meier... but the deal that has been rumored for a month now would involve Meier for Holtz and a 1st among other things... and Meier and Holtz are now both hurt

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Question for Yotes fans... Which kind of return would you prefer:

Return #1 - (2 Late 1sts + couple of good prospects)
Late 1st round pick (28th-32nd overall)
Mid-Late 1st round pick (22nd-32nd overall)
A-/B+ level Prospect
B+ level Prospect

Return #2 - (A level prospect plus a Mid-late 1st and 2nd, and another prospect)
Mid-Late 1st round pick (22nd-28th overall)
Mid-Late 2nd round pick (54th-60th overall)
A level Prospect
B level Prospect

Return #3 - (Better 1st rounder, two 2nds, and a few good prospects, with a 1 year cap dump)
Early-mid 1st round pick (10th-17th overall)
Mid-2nd round pick (45th-52nd overall)
2025 2nd (45th-60th overall)
A-/B+ level Prospect
B+ Level Prospect
B level Prospect
1 year cap dump

Basically would you put more value on the higher pick/prospect, or does there need to be two 1sts regardless? Just interested to see, as they have EIGHT 2nds the next few years, which will be close to the same value as a contenders' 1sts.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Those suits the Yotes management team wore to the Draft were a pretty big tell that they are running a clown show.

And no better way to build a winning culture then to try and lose, and dangling your best player as trade bait for a year plus. I bet the guys in the dressing room are pumped about playing for such a professional outfit.

Nice to see the players on the ice spoiling managements plan.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Massive haul. Prospects are a crap shoot I get it. But two firsts as well. I bet the offer isn’t that good. Probably just a first a really nice prospect and zboril. That’s why Arizona is holding out. They want better. Maybe they get it. Probably not. I think teams with the packed prospect shelves are also the teams that don’t want to risk it because of his injuries. Teams sitting on top will add him because he is already good. Good chance they are only getting legit offers from contenders. Late firsts and good prospects. Maybe young roster player that’s not being used much. Maybe even some younger prospects brunet, Harrison or poitras. A second could be tossed in. Maybe even more with some salary retention moves added. It’s still a massive block buster. Coyotes would find good talent in that kind of move.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad