Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
One of the worst gms in nhl history made one of the worst trades in nhl history I dont really know what we can do
I don’t think people remember how much flack Armstrong was taking in the media from other managers, as a rookie GM, during the Kuemper trade scenario. There were so many of the same kinds of pot-shots being fed to national media types about his asking price being ridiculously high and how goalies just don’t warrant those types of returns. That it was crazy enough to want a first; but a first plus was outrageous.

Even after the trade, Sakic didn’t hide how pissed he was. And everyone was acting like BA had him over a barrel and really gave it to him. There was a sense that “you just don’t do business like that”. Then Sakic won a cup and everyone immediate forgot about it.

Armstrong holds the line and sticks to his ask. The reason GMs whine to the media who whine to the fans who whine on HF is because everyone is used to just taking advantage of Arizona. There is an entitlement. And expectation that Arizona should just hand over whatever decent players they have for whatever return. Arizona doesn’t deserve to have a credible GM doing a capable job of protecting the market value of his assets.

What we’re seeing is temper tantrums from entitled brats. And Armstrong just doesn’t care. The worm is turning in AZ and people don’t like it, they aren’t ready for it, and they haven’t paid enough attention to realize it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don’t think people remember how much flack Armstrong was taking in the media from other managers, as a rookie GM, during the Kuemper trade scenario. There were so many of the same kinds of pot-shots being fed to national media types about his asking price being ridiculously high and how goalies just don’t warrant those types of returns. That it was crazy enough to want a first; but a first plus was outrageous.

Even after the trade, Sakic didn’t hide how pissed he was. And everyone was acting like BA had him over a barrel and really gave it to him. There was a sense that “you just don’t do business like that”. Then Sakic won a cup and everyone immediate forgot about it.

Armstrong holds the line and sticks to his ask. The reason GMs whine to the media who whine to the fans who whine on HF is because everyone is used to just taking advantage of Arizona. There is an entitlement. And expectation that Arizona should just hand over whatever decent players they have for whatever return. Arizona doesn’t deserve to have a credible GM doing a capable job of protecting the market value of his assets.

What we’re seeing is temper tantrums from entitled brats. And Armstrong just doesn’t care. The worm is turning in AZ and people don’t like it, they aren’t ready for it, and they haven’t paid enough attention to realize it.
Who are these entitled brats you speak of.

Reactions: NB613 and Dr Quincy

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Stop being an absolutist but then again you might not even exist given your parameters eh?

All indications are that the team is sitting him for the trade and heck being a lottery team certainly doesn't hurt the decision does it?

Well no one can prove it, unless the 2 sides come out and say it and even then it might be spin but the bottom line is that the Yotes continue to be an embarrassingly run organization and the NHL (Bettman) propping them up for so long is part of the problem.

Also don't take that statement personally it's an observation of a poorly run organization not the fans, as a Canucks fan and a lifelong fan of hockey I have seen this movie before.

I'm sorry. What does Bettman have to do with any of this? I'm honestly curious.

More importantly, as a Canucks fan I find it odd you seem to be comparing the two front offices as if they are somehow equal (at least atm). Zona has a rebuild plan and is inarguably sticking to it -- what is Vancouver's plan do you even know? I sure don't.

Anyway as a lifelong fan of hockey I'm sure you've seen teams built around lottery picks win cups or at least become perennial contenders (in recent history Pitt, WSH, TB, COL etc etc). Go back a little further and hey look there's Vancouver with the Sedin twins and Luongo (via trade) -- 2OA, 3OA, 4OA respectively.

So yeah, I'm too am embarrassed the Canucks used highly drafted players to build a team with a legitimate cup window, as an actual fan of the team your embarrassment must be so much greater. Who would want to see something like that happen again? Certainly not Yotes fans, it's far too embarrassing

GhostofYotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Because the point of professional sports is competition. We ask players to try their best and work to achieve. When a front office says "Yeah we're not really going to try" it misses the whole point of the endeavor. Not playing a guy for a game or 2 would be one thing, but an extended thing is against the whole spirit of competition.

I get a fan of a certain team wouldn't care about that, but the league as a whole does and should because it not only effects one team but all the teams.

I'll turn the question to you: Why is it good for the league to have healthy star players not playing for extended time?
I get that, but it's also a business that can fail. Sometimes companies need to take 1 step back to take 2+ steps forward, solidifying the business for the future. Arizona fans tend to spend money on teams that win, on a regular basis. The Coyotes haven't done that, and we've never done a true rebuild either. It's always been these short 2-3 year bs moves.

Additionally, Chychrun being healthy and playing for a playoff team doesn't hurt revenue, it helps it. It's one more fantastic player drawing fans to spend money on tickets and merch.

The only downside I can see are the people who want to see him play, can't until he's traded or put back into the lineup following the TDL. He plays for the Coyotes who don't draw a lot of fans currently so he's not hurting a bottom line. If he's moved and we conduct a successful rebuild, it'll help the Arizona market and the league. To believe anything else is to be short sighted.

If they sit him following the TDL, hate on, I support that thought process. Until that happens, protect your best trade asset that could pull your franchise out of mediocrity and into success.

With all that said, I'd love to keep Chychrun and rebuild without moving him, but that doesn't appear to be the players wishes.

Reactions: PainForShane

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

I don't think it's nearly that deep.

A few years ago Benning decided he didn't like any of the offers for his expiring UFA's Hamhuis and Vrbata, so he let them walk away for nothing.

He had a price, he stuck to it, and refused to budge then the market rapidly moved on.

You seem to take it personally, but the market simply is what it is, and the offers simply are what they are. There no conspiracy to take Arizona for a ride, it's simply what other teams can offer and what they feel the value of Chych is.

Take it or leave it. and nobody really cares if you leave it.

Leaving it could result in Chych re-injured, and maybe you'll walk away with nothing a la Jim Benning. Also, next year when there's less term on Chych's contract he's likely going to be worth less.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't think it's nearly that deep.

A few years ago Benning decided he didn't like any of the offers for his expiring UFA's Hamhuis and Vrbata, so he let them walk away for nothing.

He had a price, he stuck to it, and refused to budge then the market rapidly moved on.

You seem to take it personally, but the market simply is what it is, and the offers simply are what they are. There no conspiracy to take Arizona for a ride, it's simply what other teams can offer and what they feel the value of Chych is.

Take it or leave it. and nobody really cares if you leave it.

Leaving it could result in Chych re-injured, and maybe you'll walk away with nothing a la Jim Benning. Also, next year when there's less term on Chych's contract he's likely going to be worth less.
I really can’t wrap my head around your take away here. You’ve got an interesting way of reading.

GhostofYotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Stop being an absolutist but then again you might not even exist given your parameters eh?

All indications are that the team is sitting him for the trade and heck being a lottery team certainly doesn't hurt the decision does it?

Well no one can prove it, unless the 2 sides come out and say it and even then it might be spin but the bottom line is that the Yotes continue to be an embarrassingly run organization and the NHL (Bettman) propping them up for so long is part of the problem.

Also don't take that statement personally it's an observation of a poorly run organization not the fans, as a Canucks fan and a lifelong fan of hockey I have seen this movie before.
I'm just trying to keep things in perspective, no absolution about it. People are making absolute comments and I'm asking for evidence to back that up. As a Coyotes fan before Chychrun, people talking bad about Coyotes management like they have an inside track discredits their point. This is the best management group we've seen thus far (without any hindsight). Everything they appear to be doing revolves around building a sustainable winner. For the first time (as far as I can tell) we have an actual owner and management team. They now need the time and support to build a winner. People need to open their eyes a bit and see the big picture, remove the emotions of initial shock.

I'm not trying to be a clown or shit on anyone, I just want someone who talks down about my team to understand what's happening. I don't expect them to know because they aren't fans of the Coyotes, and most of us aren't professionals in the NHL so our time is dedicated to work, families, friends, and so on.

I just explained in another post why I think this is blown out when it shouldn't be. I get we want our athletes to play, but we also want our teams to win. That takes time and skill. Sitting Chychrun to trade him (if it is the team making the choice) makes a ton of sense, even if it sucks in the short term.

McLeafy

Sep 26, 2014
It'll be hilarious if he still ends up in Arizona post deadline. Does he still sit out until the end if the year? Lol

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think it’s 50/50 that he gets dealt before the deadline. If he’s not traded soon, I think he’ll come back into the lineup.
They'll trade him. If they didn't care about moving him before the deadline they wouldn't be paranoid about him getting hurt and missing the rest of the season. Why hold him out if they are fine with trading him in the summer? They know his highest value is right now.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
They'll trade him. If they didn't care about moving him before the deadline they wouldn't be paranoid about him getting hurt and missing the rest of the season. Why hold him out if they are fine with trading him in the summer? They know his highest value is right now.
They might have decided in a sit down with him and his agent back in September that they’d hold him out two weeks prior to the deadline. After what happened last year, it make sense for both sides. It doesn’t mean they’ll be leveraged into taking a lesser return. He’s signed to multiple years and there will be more bidders at the draft.

Chychrun nixed a trade to Columbus 8 months ago despite not having any trade protection in his contract. This whole situation came about because AZ mgt approached him to discuss his preference regarding staying for the rebuild vs moving on. That’s a courtesy. The organization is doing right by him. And in return he’s been a very good soldier. Great attitude and his on ice performance couldn’t be better.

People want there to be more drama here than there is. Chychrun isn’t disgruntled. The team isn’t resentful. This is amicable. Communication has been open, honest, and ongoing. That just disappoints the gawking out of market fans, drooling for some salacious soap opera drama.

And you can tell these rubber neckers are mad about it. Because they’re coming in here to whine and cry despite having zero skin in the game beyond wanting to revel in some kind of muckraking that just isn’t present.

Reactions: Mosby and Nowotny

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I honestly can’t remember.

Has a top end player recently been held out for a trade only to return to the lineup because no trade happened?

Gotta feel that’s what gonna happen here.

And yes I’m positive this is somewhere in the last 40 pages, but if you think I’m gonna read through that many pages where there’s no actual news? You’re nuts.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Mark this post its gonna be Bruins.
Alright. You called the team. But when does it happen and what’s the return?

I honestly can’t remember.

Has a top end player recently been held out for a trade only to return to the lineup because no trade happened?

Gotta feel that’s what gonna happen here.
No. Him coming back into the lineup would be quite novel. People are pretending that him being held out is rarer and more notable than it is. But him return would be something new.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
My only issue with the scratch is, it's more likely Chychrun isn't moved before the deadline. Could still happen, but I'd bet against it.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
No. Him coming back into the lineup would be quite novel. People are pretending that him being held out is rarer and more notable than it is. But him return would be something new.
Cheers.

Yeah being held out is nothing new. Usually it’s held out from morning practice or pulled during warmups, then promptly traded.

The longer he’s held out the further his trade value drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad