Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I wouldn't say we agree. How many games he played in the past seasons isn't something I'd be concerned about considering the circumstances.
I see. I'm of the opinion that playing more hockey makes you better at hockey.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I cant wait to come back to this topic and laugh at the doubts about him.

No kidding.

Kid will be in conversation for best player in the draft when it's all said and done.

Unbelievable talent. People have no idea what's coming with Sanderson. At first he will come in as a number 4 defender providing Demelo like impact. That'll last about 30 or so games. By end of season he will be top 2 in ice-time as arguably our most valuable defender.

Watching Sanderson last year was just unreal on a rebuilding North Dakota team. Different animal from his freshman year. Full off-season of dedication and kid is going to come out swinging.

If we bring in a legit top 4, we will be in clear top 3 spot in division by season's end, imo. Don't think people know impact of adding Sanderson + another top 4. Changes everything with what we added on offense too.

Holden and Zub were holding it down as a solid shutdown pair for a good stretch of when we were playing excellent hockey post January. Until we faced Pitts and saw how Holden was out of his element.

Holden-Hamonic is a 3rd pair on a contending team. Chabot-Zub looked like one of the best top pairs in the league to start the season. Sanderson-Legit top 4 gives us a top 15 NHL D or higher.

Last edited:

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
His skating ability would probably already be rated amongst the top 20% of defenders. He's that good.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm super high on Sanderson too but I understand people not wanting to use pen to write in a rookie as a top 4 guy. Sometimes guys just don't transition to the top league that well.

That being said I don't think it will take long for Sanderson to cement himself as essential to the D core.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I want his rookie season to have minimal pressure. He's going to have growing pains but let's be patient. I had said give him some time in the AHL but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I could see him needing 10-15 games in the AHL just to get him acclimated. I think if he's healthy it's more likely he makes the team out of camp, but a stint in the AHL never really hurt any prospect.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's just the Senators way. A young kid, highly touted, and his year prior to joining the NHL is compromised. Pretty hard to build upper body strength when you've had two hand surgeries

Reactions: Bileur

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I cant wait to come back to this topic and laugh at the doubts about him.
You do understand that being cognizant of his age, injuries, covid, and the steep leaning curve of the nhl is not the same as doubting him right?

I expect him to be a fantastic player and I also expect many of the wildly optimistic people pumping his tires to be his cruelest critics when he has a slower start than they've fantasized about.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He was NHL ready last year and the hand injury hasn't hampered his ability to skate and think.

I am sure they have ways for him to train his upper body but he wasn't going to outmuscled anyone either way yet.

No prob of he goes to A but I only see that happening if isn't ready to roll for full camp.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think there's a decent chance Sanderson could be better than Chabot.

Doesn't have the same kind of upside offensively but his overall game could make him one of the top D in the game like with guys like Heiskanen, McAvoy, Slavin, etc...

Sanderson is not playing in AHL. 0% chance.

Only way is if it's strictly for rehab.

I could see a stint in the AHL while he gets his game together after missing so much time, but it would only for a dozen games or so like with Chabot and EK.

He'll be playing at a top 4 level before Christmas like those two.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I see. I'm of the opinion that playing more hockey makes you better at hockey.

I believe that more practice time lets players develop and improve their skills: shooting, puck handling, passing, skating, etc. Games do not provide enough time on ice nor with the puck to improve those skills.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Huge fan .. awesome post. Can we just call you Dip for short.
Whatever suits your fancy... But I mean you have gone around and criticized damn near everything for years which is fine but when you're also constantly pumping Mete in the GDTs it kind of makes you wonder about your judgement

Reactions: Sweatred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad