Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Even Karlsson got sent down to Bingo for some games his first year. A good dip your toes in the pool year for Jake i hope. Id hope he finds his strong defensive game at this level first which springs his offensive confidence. But seems unfair to put Makar like expectations on him, ill be much more patient

Karlsson's game was a lot less refined though and he had more growing to do physically. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Sanderson will make the team out of camp and stay with the big club. The only thing I'm uncertain about what kind of impact he will have initially. I think a conservative expectation is a reliable defender who has flashes of offensive ability, but is ultimately inconsistent on the puck.

He has a good understanding of his responsibilities as a defender and has the tools to make the most of that understanding, might be a little adjust to pace off the puck but it shouldn't take long. With the puck I think he has to learn what he is capable of. He isn't overly creative on the puck and plays a relatively safe game but has the skating and is still deceptive, so I don't think we have to worry about him making too many risky plays. He will learn what he is capable of by gradually pushing the barrier of what he tries offensively, that will take time.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Even Karlsson got sent down to Bingo for some games his first year. A good dip your toes in the pool year for Jake i hope. Id hope he finds his strong defensive game at this level first which springs his offensive confidence. But seems unfair to put Makar like expectations on him, ill be much more patient
Karlsson was 19 and 165 lbs. Sanderson is 20, and closer to 200lbs, not really comparable situations.

I see McAvoy as a better comparable, though I think Sanderson has higher offensive upside both were top tier defensive college kids comming in at 20. McAvoy is a bit thicker so strength was less of a concern in the transition particularly with Sanderson recovering from surgery but I think if we're dealing with realistic expectations for year 1, McAvoy makes sense than Makar who plays a very different game.

Reactions: thinkwild

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I feel like most people have not really factored in the potential fallout of Sanderson's injury riddled season.

What would the consensus have been had he not injured his hand so many times? Makar ++?

I expect him to struggle early on. He'll probably be 3rd pair, 2nd units, and be healthied a few times. Hopefully around Christmas he gets his conditioning and confidence up.

The guy has played 53 games in two years and still isn't 100%. People are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I feel like most people have not really factored in the potential fallout of Sanderson's injury riddled season.

What would the consensus have been had he not injured his hand so many times? Makar ++?

I expect him to struggle early on. He'll probably be 3rd pair, 2nd units, and be healthied a few times. Hopefully around Christmas he gets his conditioning and confidence up.

The guy has played 53 games in two years and still isn't 100%. People are setting themselves up for disappointment.
And you're an afraid kid who is afraid to deal with emotions.

If he does need to go down then so be it but I don't think they will need to, his skating and defensive awareness are too good.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
And you're an afraid kid who is afraid to deal with emotions.

If he does need to go down then so be it but I don't think they will need to, his skating and defensive awareness are too good.
Okay I'm a kid and you're a doo doo face.

What is this?

• Haha
Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
IMO he has an outside chance at the Calder. He is on a team with solid offense and will get minutes dues to a weaker defense. It all depends on how ready he is to contribute on offense. That and there is no obvious top offensive talent there like a McDavid.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think we have to wait and see. Our opinions are based on a healthy Sanderson, who will fully participate from here on out and make the club immediately. This is our wish list for sure.
Fact is he may need time to ease in and start in Belleville for some time. He has to play the long game and time will tell.
I do hope he arrives quickly and makes a difference off the hop. Then we can think Calder and how he can fit into the mix. Reality may say differently.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

You are really overplaying his injury situation. The main reason for him only playing 53 games was because of covid. Not only was the season shorter but he left to play national teams on numerous occasions and there were protocols. He had one serious injury which was a hand injury, not really something to be overly concerned about. He had some bumps and bruises here and there.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You are really overplaying his injury situation. The main reason for him only playing 53 games was because of covid. Not only was the season shorter but he left to play national teams on numerous occasions and there were protocols. He had one serious injury which was a hand injury, not really something to be overly concerned about. He had some bumps and bruises here and there.
He still has the hand/wrist injury.

I think the LD will be playing about 65 minutes a night (Chabot 26, Sandy 21+, Holden 18) so that only leaves 55 minutes for the RD (Zub at 21, Ham at 19 so Zaistev gets 15)

That 3rd paring RD at 15 minutes is perfect for JBD or Thomson at 15 minutes. Even more reason to trade Zaitsev

Still think by the end of the season Sandy is closer to 22 minutes then he is to 20 minutes.

When you have the puck as much as we will, the game will be easier for him. And he’ll be a big part of that. He won’t be getting caved in every shift like these poor guys have been the last 5 years. Also think he gets some PK minutes just to get his minutes up, and he’ll probably be very good at it
If LD plays 65 minutes, then some are playing 5 minutes on the right side.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Okay. It’s July
Boucher on Locked on Senators, his roommate, says they are really dedicated this summer, and Sandy really hopes to be ready for camp, but if he isn’t, will not rush it, and have another setback.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Boucher on Locked on Senators, his roommate, says they are really dedicated this summer, and Sandy really hopes to be ready for camp, but if he isn’t, will not rush it, and have another setback.
I get the impression Sandy is dedicated 24/7. There’s a reason he’s worn a letter everywhere.

Those stories about his 8pm bedtime are so far from my reality when I was his age it blows my mind.

I’m pretty stoked Boucher and Greig are rooming with him.

Reactions: operasen

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

That’s a good approach. It’s still 2 months from training camp.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Overplaying by suggesting a guy who has never played pro, and has only played 53 games in Two years, may not be a superstar on day 1?

Jesus, what a mess.

You understand that even highly drafted guys with no injuries struggle a little at playing in the NHL? Say for example laf and Byfield?

Heaven forbid Sanderson may not be Bobby Orr in October.

Reactions: Sweatred

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Overplaying by suggesting a guy who has never played pro, and has only played 53 games in Two years, may not be a superstar on day 1?

Jesus, what a mess.

You understand that even highly drafted guys with no injuries struggle a little at playing in the NHL? Say for example laf and Byfield?

Heaven forbid Sanderson may not be Bobby Orr in October.

Who is suggesting he is going to be a superstar from day 1? I’m not sure I’ve seen that as a common sentiment. His injury history shouldn’t be a concern, that’s the point I was trying to make, not that he is going to be a superstar from day 1.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Makar ++ is like Bobby Orr lol. Sanderson was always going to be a stud but let's be realistic.

I'm definitely worried about the injury. Same reason I worry about Pinto. Just no reps over the last few years.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
that's my summer wake up time, Because of the sun and a couple hungry cats
Man...you need to train those cats that the eating time is 9AM! They don't start scratching at the bedroom door until exactly 9, I don't even need an alarm.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
that's my summer wake up time, Because of the sun and a couple hungry cats
UND coach said he got to the rink at 6:30-7am each morning and Sanderson was already there each day.

Yesterday on Locked on Sens, Boucher said him Grieg and Sandy are really dedicated to this summer of training .

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Who is suggesting he is going to be a superstar from day 1? I’m not sure I’ve seen that as a common sentiment. His injury history shouldn’t be a concern, that’s the point I was trying to make, not that he is going to be a superstar from day 1.
So I'm not overplaying anything by acknowledging the reality that he

1. Is injured.
2. Is A kid
3. Missed time to covid
4. Is trying to play in the NHL, which is a hard thing to do at the best of times.

Glad we agree im not wildly overreacting by realizing the sky is blue. We wouldn't want that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So I'm not overplaying anything by acknowledging the reality that he

1. Is injured.
2. Is A kid
3. Missed time to covid
4. Is trying to play in the NHL, which is a hard thing to do at the best of times.

Glad we agree im not wildly overreacting by realizing the sky is blue. We wouldn't want that.

I wouldn't say we agree. How many games he played in the past seasons isn't something I'd be concerned about considering the circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad