Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm curious about that...

College is a great stepping stone. The schedule is lighter but the competition is good and it's more of a pro style compared to junior. I'm sure at times Sanderson will have to managed but he is an induvial who has a professional approach and even at a young age it seems like he is a step above his peers when it comes to preparation.

Reactions: Micklebot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A lil crazy.

Burns was 6 ft 5 beast of pure athleticism and skill with okay hockey iq. He played like he had ADD.

Sanderson is a lot more methodical and structured in his defensive and offensive approach.

Sanderson is going to be our 3rd or 4th best defenceman next year. He's an elite skater with big brains and will outplay a lot of NHLers.

Will probably need 10-15 games to acclimate but If DJ and Dorion play crap in front of him we'll be eliminated from the playoffs in the 1st month again.

He's good enough to play 82 games.

I hope Sanderson makes the roster as a 3rd pair D at the start of next season and finishes the season at 2nd pair D. That would be a somewahat rosy but reasonable expectation I think. We need DJ to play him ahead of some of the vets who are in decline and are third pair types.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
College is a great stepping stone. The schedule is lighter but the competition is good and it's more of a pro style compared to junior. I'm sure at times Sanderson will have to managed but he is an induvial who has a professional approach and even at a young age it seems like he is a step above his peers when it comes to preparation.

I think Sanderson has a pretty mature game, and with it he has some high end skill. He's likely going to need to add some strength to really thrive, but i don't see a lot holding him back. He's not a guy that takes big risks to do what he does, so I think the transition might come a little easier for him, wish he'd been able to get a few NHL games to finish off the year though, that probably would have helped him adapt to the speed of the NHL game a little quicker.

Reactions: Cosmix and Korpse

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Some of you are sleeping on Sanderson.

He was probably good enough to be an NHL D last year, for the upcoming season I think he'll be similar to Makar or Heiskanen when they were effective defensemen right out of the gate.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

He was probably good enough to be an NHL D last year, for the upcoming season I think he'll be similar to Makar or Heiskanen when they were effective defensemen right out of the gate.

I'm a huge Sanderson fan and think he's going to be great, I'm just a little worried about offseason training and conditioning and other injury related issues making him start more slowly than his talent level should allow. If he has a great summer of training and prep, I think he'll have immediate and noticeable impact. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on the third pair and slowly ease his way in, but If everything is good to go with him I could see him being our second best defenseman before Christmas.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I think some people might need to temper their expectations a bit if you are expecting a Makar/Heiskanen impact. Its great to be excited but this is the best D man in hockey and a top 5 D.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

If this guy isn't prime Lidstrom right out of the gate we should trade him immediately and attach Murray so we can save some money.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I think some people might need to temper their expectations a bit if you are expecting a Makar/Heiskanen impact. Its great to be excited but this is the best D man in hockey and a top 5 D.
I meant that he could be at least a top 4 D right away like they were.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't think anyone feels that Sanderson is stepping in and playing like Makar on day one. But stepping in and solidifying a top 4 spot by Christmas is my expectation. I am hoping that his injuries are fully healed and he has an opportunity to work on strength all summer. His type of injury doesn't bode well for upper body strength. I'm also hoping that by year 2 he solidifies a position as our top shutdown LD. I'd like to see Chabot out of that role.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think anyone feels that Sanderson is stepping in and playing like Makar on day one. But stepping in and solidifying a top 4 spot by Christmas is my expectation. I am hoping that his injuries are fully healed and he has an opportunity to work on strength all summer. His type of injury doesn't bode well for upper body strength. I'm also hoping that by year 2 he solidifies a position as our top shutdown LD. I'd like to see Chabot out of that role.
I'm hoping for the same. I think for his development it's very important he plays with a stable RD that can actually handle top 4 minutes.

Reactions: Cosmix

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Let's all temper our expectations ok. He's a talented player and has alot of potential. Personally let him play 10 games in Belleville in the top 4 or even top pairing then reevaluate him and let him start on the third pairing for half the season and if he does well move him to the second pair.

Concurrently I'm also ok if after every couple of games move him to the 1st pair to show him ok these are the best NHL players and this is what they're capable of.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’m pretty sure DJ will bring him along slowly and increase his ice time and responsibility as he shows the ability to master what he has.

This is how he brought along all our other young stars.

Being excited and having high expectations for the kid is fine in my opinion, good even as he’s earned it. The part to remember is to cut him some slack if he starts off slowly as opposed to diving off the deep end.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’m pretty sure DJ will bring him along slowly and increase his ice time and responsibility as he shows the ability to master what he has.

This is how he brought along all our other young stars.

Being excited and having high expectations for the kid is fine in my opinion, good even as he’s earned it. The part to remember is to cut him some slack if he starts off slowly as opposed to diving off the deep end.

We've got some depth on the left side, so there's no need to put him in situations he can't handle, but I suspect he'll very quickly impress the coach and force his way up the lineup. He really is something special imo.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We've got some depth on the left side, so there's no need to put him in situations he can't handle, but I suspect he'll very quickly impress the coach and force his way up the lineup. He really is something special imo.
Ya I expect him (injury being healed up of course) to dominate rookie and dev camp then get loads of praise during regular camp while wowing us during exhibition games then finally settling in on 3rd pair just because it is the way.

He will quickly move up IMO, especially if we don't come out of the gates well.

Nothing but pure confidence in this kid.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
1657648747457.png

Reactions: Sweatred

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
He's going to be a Calder candidate if healthy this year. He enters the league as probably a top 30 skater league wide. He's that good.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He's going to be a Calder candidate if healthy this year. He enters the league as probably a top 30 skater league wide. He's that good.

I don’t know if he will get the usage to be a Calder candidate …

PP1 will be Chabot or Branny

The Sens have lots of decent puck movers, they need powerful, strong defenders and I can’t see Sanderson having a Seider type impact next year.

I predict sheltered minutes in the NHL with some stints in the A to get his ice time up.

Although … once we see him skate once or twice it may totally change the curve for him (if/when).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think he could have a similar impact as a rookie to Heiskanen and McAvoy

By that I mean 30-40 points with above-average defensive play

He's a special player. I'd be surprised if he's not a top 4 D out of the gate.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think he could have a similar impact as a rookie to Heiskanen and McAvoy

By that I mean 30-40 points with above-average defensive play

He's a special player. I'd be surprised if he's not a top 4 D out of the gate.
Last year this time I would have agreed 100% but he has had lengthy injuries so I am hedging and saying he starts on 3rd pair and prob 2nd pair by Xmas or so.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Methot said it best: can we really expect 22 min from Sanderson for 60+ games?
Do we need that? No, not at all. Not even close.

Chabot plays 25. There's 35 left. 18 and 17 gets you 35. When Sanderson gets to 22, there's 13 highly sheltered minutes left and having high 40s from two D is an extreme luxury

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad